I'm not worried about a thing tomorrow

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by allan1, Sep 19, 2009.

1. allan1

allan1 Active Member

Because I'm 100% confident that this franchise has turned the corner already.

When is the last time you remembered the Jets acting this bold, cocky, confident...and most importantly FEARLESS!

These are not the Coslett/Carroll chokers, not the Kotite sad sacks, the Parcells mercenaries who couldn't finish the job, or the Edwards talented but unprepared jekyll and hyde squads. I don't know if we have the talent just yet to beat on New England, but we can put a hurting on them during the game. And just talking about it puts the thought into Brady and Belichicks head. For once they might actually be put on the defensive and bullied around by the Jets.

So we may not win tomorrow, but we will extract a pound of flesh. And this new mindset, this new organizational philosophy that Ryan has instilled means we will eventually unseat New England as class of this division.

2. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

To say that this franchise has turned the corner is premature, I mean I think a lot of us thought that may have been true after the Titan game last year and that wasn't the case. Its only been one week. What I absolutely love about the opening of the nfl so far for the Jets is just how pumped the fan base is. I feel like tormorrow its going to be like Quest Field for the Pats or Arrowhead, the fan base will be going nuts and that's something this team needs. The mentality has definitely changed, but wins and most importandly championships are the key ingredients towards finally turning the corner. I love the enthusiasm though.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Win or lose, I haven't had this much confidence in a Jets team from top to bottom in a really long time

4. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

One game

One game is a little soon to say we've turned a corner. But, like you fellas, I sense a real difference in this team. And even if we don't beat the Pats (I think we will) they're going to know they were in a game. I don't think we've had a defense this strong since the days of the Sack Exchange.

5. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

i dont remember when i was ever this pumped for a game. i cant wait.

6. ........

........ Trolls

I'm excited as hell for this game, but it's foolish to be certain of victory. Brady looked exactly how I expected him to last week. He needed real game action to shake off the rust, and very well could respond in a big way tomorrow. I'm confident in our team and its ability, but make no mistake, tomorrow's a tough game.

7. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

he did look rusty, but he gets it done. the end stat line was good, which includes the win. watch out for ben watson!

8. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I think the huge difference between last year and this year is the QB position. Sanchez may fail more than he succeeds this year because he's a rookie, but I honestly believe this kids has what it takes to eventually be a good ball player that can lead the team to wins.

Last year we had Favre. A 1 year stop-gap. I agree, championships are the only barometer. It starts with being consistently competitive and moves on from there.

9. Professor

Professor Active Member

Agreed. I think we're going to take the next 2 against the pats and titans just how we did last year.

10. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

now we are getting way ahead of ourselves.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Jumping the gun maybe?

12. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I'm optomistic, but confident of a win? No way. I think all of the things are in place for "turning the corner", but we need to spank the Pats before I jump on that bandwagon.

The thing that is important is that the players seem to believe it.

13. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

great post, all that matters is that the players are buying into rex's words.

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

BEFORE LAST WEEK many of us thought the Jets could start ohhhh n 4 and were begging that we could start 2-2-------so we beat the TEXANS and now we are world beaters? It was a nice win and I will take it but I would rather they had kept their MOUTHS SHUT and won rather than the way they talked and to come out and lose!!!!!
    I am rooting like hell for us to win this game but these are the Pats we are talking about, yes they have many changes on defense, but they still have that offense and they still have Brady and they still have one of the best coaches ever,,granted his camcorder helped out alot! I am not big on moral victories, I don't like to say "we played em tough" or "hung with em for 3 qtrs",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the way these guys have yapped all week THEY MUST WIN THIS GAME! I will be there and if these guys can back up the talk, I will witness something I have not seen in years in person,,a Jet Victory over the king of the mountain Pats.

15. facch

facch Active Member

What a difference one game makes. Everyone relax, kickoff is half a day away. I'm as excited as anyone but we need to go out there and prove it against the Patriots. If we win tomorrow, then we can start the optimism. But the division goes through the Patriots, if they 'embarrass' us tomorrow, people will be back to cursing the Jets again.

It's a long season, get excited for each game, but don't get too high or too low for that matter after one game.

16. jets&rushfan

jets&rushfan New Member

Good article from an hour ago:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/257930-ryans-dirty-eleven-badfellas-of-the-gridiron/show_full

Ryan's Dirty Eleven: Badfellas Of The Gridiron by Michael Cohen Michael CohenScribe

Scribe Written on September 19, 2009 (Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images) Vote Now! - Author Poll
    Are The Jets Better Than The Patriots In The Long Run?

This is not your father's New York Jets. Hell, this is not even your brother's New York Jets! If one thing was clear on Sunday afternoon as the Jets stomped all over the highly touted Houston Texans by a score of 24-7, it is this: Rex Ryan has clearly brought an edge to the Jets that has not been seen from the franchise in its entire history.

Over the past 40 years of futility since Jan. 12, 1969, fans of Gang Green have grown accustomed to seeing their defense give up chunks of yards, not blitz the quarterback, and allow opponents to storm back to steal the game in the final quater.

Fans have made ritual trips to the bathroom to vomit after watching another horrific performance from their starting quarterbacks: Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien, Neil O'Donell, Glenn Foley, Chad Pennington, Brooks Bollinger, Kellen Clemens, and Brett Favre. It just doesn't matter; the results have always been the same.

This time around, Jet fans are seeing a different team. They see it on the sideline from the top with Ryan and all the way down to the the last man listed on the 53 man roster. This team plays with a brand of violent agression, sacking, pushing, punching, hitting and clipping their opponents without fear or foul.

This group cares about only three things: (1) Victory, (2) Sending a message that this version of Gang Green will not be pushed around, and (3) victory.

Coach Rex Ryan has to take the credit for this transformation. From day one, Ryan has instilled a brash, no-holds barred attitude in the locker room, and it is apparent now that his message has gotten across pretty quickly.

In the Texans game, the Jets held star receiver Andre Johnson to a mere 35 yards on four catches, and even knocked him out of a few plays after a nasty hit by Donald Strickland, in which he smashed Johnson to the ground like a bull striking an unsuspecting victim. They confined Pro Bowl running back Steve Slanton to a stingy 17 yards on nine carries, exposing the Texans as rather a vanilla football team.

The Jets harrassment of Matt Schaub was not only unexpected but a graphic display of the Jets new approach. On the opening drive of the game, David Harris broke free on the blitz and launched himself seemingly through Schaub, drilling him into the ground as he released the ball. The pass floated incomplete; the Texans had the punt and Schaub limped off the field.

Hitting and rushing the passer is something Gang Green is not known for, but, this team rendition will not only get after the quaterback, they will go after him like a falcon diving at red meat. They hit Schuab over a dozen times on Sunday, even getting away with a couple of late hits, and sacked him twice, including an obvious horse collar sack by Harris when he yanked Schuab down to the ground by his shoulder pads.

The Jets aggressiveness appeared on offense, too. With the clock ticking down in the second quarter, quarterback Mark Sanchez rolled out of the pocket and appeared to have the first down in his sights; at the last minute, he caught sight of Dustin Keller breaking free of coverage; Sanchez drilled the ball across his body to Keller, who made the catch and was tackled after a 25 yard gain.

After the tackle, the Houston linebacker was jawing at Keller. Keller suddenly snapped, got up and pushed the surprised backer away from him. Soon, most of the Jets sideline marched onto the field and started pushing and shoving other Texan players in defense of their tight end. Ryan and his coaches had to pull his players off the field to protect them, but the die had been cast that this group was playing with one large chip on its shoulder's.

Later in game, after Sanchez threw a costly pick that cut the Jets lead to 17-7, the young quarterback showed true grit. Sanchez released a bomb down the sideline to Keller, who made the catch in stride and dashed 40 yards to the Texan 38 yard line. Two plays later, Thomas Jones burst through the trenches and scored on a 38 yard sprint to give Gang Green an insurmountable 24-7 advantage.

For the past week, the Jets have trash-talked about what they plan to do to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. Trash talking is usually cheap, and it is new to see it coming from the Jets who were one of the most disciplined teams in the NFL over the past 12 years.

Those days are gone. Kerry Rhodes, Kris Jenkins and others have told the media that the Jets plan to make Brady into a Raggedy Ann doll on Sunday afternoon, and I am sure that Ryan is pumping up the troops tonight with another profanity laced stump speech.

In case you didn't know, several Jet players told the New York Post that Ryan's speech before the Texans game was so motivational that they were ready to strap on pads and smack into someone right then. In fact, kicker Jay Feely was quoted as saying that Ryan used "the F-bomb 52 times" during the speech. Imagine what he could be saying tonight. It might sound a little like Geroge C. Scott's speech at the beginning of Patton, if not more profane.

It is becoming clear that Ryan's dye is cast: this Jets team will play the role of the anti-hero and love it. They will trash talk, illegally kick, trip and tackle anyone who stands in their way, and, somehow, find the means to win ball games with their solid NFL talent. Talk about being the bad guy; this is a talented group of players who not only win, but win dirty.

Whatever the case may be, the Jets will have to back up their new coach and prove to the nation once again that they are indeed a different franchise on Sunday against the New England Patriots. Anything less right will be considered a disappointment.
    Ask any Jet player or coach; the mantra is "Make my day."

#16 jets&rushfan, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  17. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

On ESPN the Sunday morning crew picked the jets. All 4 of them did. Very excited, yes. Still unsure, yes.

18. gofins

gofins New Member

You guys are better than a lot of people think. Good luck tomorrow! There are only 2 days a year Jets fans and dolphins fans can agree!!

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

turned the corner comes with having a coach be consistent for 3 years in a row and keeping that coach.

one game doesn't turn the corner.

just be excited for tomorrow.

20. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

rushfan, no need to bold it all.