Peter King: "Band of lunatics rushing the passer"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Tony, Sep 14, 2009.

1. HOI

HOI Active Member

I had a flash foward this morning of the game next week. Pats down 4 with 45 seconds left. On the Jets 8 yd line 4 and goal. Brady drops to pass, gets pressured, get nailed by Scott, throws incomplete to Moss in the corner of the end zone. Crowd goes wild...wait...late flag lying next to the golden boy. Followed by some bullshit roughing the passer, blow to the head, late hit call. Pats get half the distance to the goal and a first down.

Similiar to the bullshit call on Barton when he nailed Brees in the playoffs a few years back.

They are going to protect Brady so much its going to be ridiculous. I can see at least one horseshit call next week. Look back at the Texans game when Jenkins leveled Shaub. The first thing I thought was, if that was Brady there certainly would have been a flag.

2. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

I agree and Brady will have a week to study our film from this week (which Houston did not have). We will need to mix it up and try to throw Brady off balance. The fear of the blitz can have an effect as well.

3. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

That call on Barton wasn't bullshit.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Brady has always been able to handle Ryan's Ravens defense in the past? What has changed?

5. HOI

HOI Active Member

Perhaps I a bit biased...

6. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

I think the rule is bullshit -- Barton did something to have zero effect on the outcome of the play. The penalty yardage should have been applied without the automatic first down, and in this case, on the Jets possession seeing as though it had been fourth down.

However, that's not the rule, and what Barton did was totally illegal.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Pats do not do a great job on protecting Brady. They're not as bad as the Steelers are with Roethlisberger, but they have allowed hits on him in the past and take chances with the protection schemes, mainly because they like to put their Tightends in the pattern as an outlet.

One of the analysts last year called the Brady injury beforehand, in a preseason piece where he said the Pats big achilles heel was that they let Brady get hit too often. I forget who it was but I remember reading the piece and thinking "we can only hope."

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I would say 50% of the hits Matt Slaub took would have RTP calls on Tom Terrifical

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

yeah you can't take your forearm and smash it against the QBs head long after he threw the ball.

it doesn't work that way.

10. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

he handles it well but they were always games that the ravens had a chance to win. i think the game is honestly more on the shoulders of the offense than the defense. the D will do its job. the Offense has to step up and put points on the board, plain and simple.

11. The Pats do indeed have a better OL and much better personnel than does Houston. W/ that said, Their OL struggles w/ interior rushers who can really push the pocket which causes large gaps in their blocking schemes. This is b/c the Patriots have an OL that focuses on cohesion,fundamentals and initial pop after the snap.What they don't have are guys w/ great feet,range or power.

If you can push the pocket on the Pats, and create some gaps in their scheme...you can have ALOT of success at getting to Brady(See Justin Tuck and Co. in the SB 2 years ago). Enter Kris Jenkins and to a lesser extent Vernon Gholston. BB will be concerned w/ this...so the jets need to be prepared for alot of quick passes to the flat, screens and draws...as they attempt to make Rex and CO. hesitate about flooding the A gap w/ blitzers.

12. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

If we stop Kevin Faulk and Welker I'll be happy. I have mental images of #52 decking Welker while he tries to fall down like a pussy and knocking him out permanently.

13. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I have to admit, I like the whole "Band of Lunatics" label. That's basically what it looked like. Shaub and co. got mugged by a band of lunatics. Yeah..I like it.

14. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

I have to wonder how many penalty flags the jets have to endure before they realize that hitting brady, no matter how hard or late=flag and just say F it and not pull up anymore.

I really think Gholston is going to get a big sack. Its only a question of time before he breaks free and remebers how much fun it is to kill.

I think Bart is going to "trip" and take out Brady's legs. That guy IS pretty clearly a lunatic. I think he knocked the wind out of himslef a couple of times diving into the ground after the play was basically over yesterday for no other reason than I think he loves the ground.

I think we are going to see some nice pics of Jenk sitting on top of Brady. Possibly eating a meatball sub.

15. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

what us jets fans wouldn't give for that image next week!

16. JetsGod

JetsGod Banned

From Subway ala CC Sabathia? :smile:

17. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

He can feed him 5 dollar foot-long personally. Jenkins that is.

18. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

I also think this is a great time to be playing the Pats. They have one game of tape to watch out D. There were very few plays by very nature of the fact that the Texans got almost no 1st downs. All they saw were the lunatics, and they will have to plan a game plan against that.

With their O-line basically unchanged, we have 3 seasons worth of tape on them. Ryan knows what will work and what won't. He knows where to take chances and mix things up.

What are they going to do to surprise us? Thier experience with the Jets the last 3 years was having 10+ seconds for Brady/Kassel to sit in the pocket and wait for a reciever to get open. Next week if our D can continue to bring it, Brady will have less than 3 seconds. Good luck finding Moss deep, who will be covered (aka shutdown) by Revis and only 20 yrds down the field when he has to throw.

19. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

There's an expression here in England 'To be hung for a sheep as a lamb'. So if we're gonna get RTP calls on Brady then make it worthwhile and smash him into next week when doing it. I'd still cheer, regardless of the penalty. :pats_suck:

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Green Bay and Minnestoa are both way too high