Brett Favre Blames the Jets!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MadBacker Prime, Sep 10, 2009.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I thought it was apparent after he got dumped during the Raiders game.

Sadly I think it came from "high up" on the totem pole, but as the HC, you think Mangini could overrule some of the RIDICULOUS playcalling whether he was forced to play gimpy Favre or not...... ESPECIALLY given his arm condition.

2. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Yeah, Brett Favre deserves any hatred he gets.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Just look at the compensation difference between Parcells and Belichick.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I would say hatred is a bit extreme, but I cannot root for the guy like I did when he was on the Packers. It has all left a stain here in the Meadowlands.

5. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I'm surprised Favre didn't go back to his drug of choice.

That would've fitting.

6. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

What I don't get is if Kellen is not good enough to play last year (with Bret's arm falling off) why is he still on our roster?

Braking league rules is BS and always comes back to bite us!

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I am already convinced that he was hurt before the Raiders game. I re-watched that Bengals game a couple weeks after it was played and one of their pass rushers whacked his arm as it was coming forward and he was throwing ducks for almost the entire rest of the game.

8. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I didn't get that either. Being a nice guy should only get you so far in the NFL. I guess they kept him around this year to Push Mark. Now that we have 4, he'll be gone next year at the latest.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Well, I've always been a Favre fan, and with these new revelations, I blame him less for what happened last year.

That said, I'm with abyzmul and statjeff on the playcalling aspect. However, I'm giving Schottenheimer the benefit of the doubt. I can't remember for certain, but wasn't one of the primary reasons he chose to stay because the first thing Rex made clear to him was that the offense was Schotty's to run? Mangini made terrible calls last year that any sensible coach wouldn't. Do we hold the onside kick against Westhoff, or do we continue to blame Mangini's stupid ass?

Obviously we're going to know the truth by the end of the month. If the offense abandons plans that clearly aren't working, we know that it was Mangini trying to control everything, which is what I think we're going to see. (Keep in mind that just because the adjusted plans don't work doesn't damn Schotty. The key is whether he makes an attempt to adjust, rather than continue to attempt was is clearly not working.)

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

They probably think he's ok as a backup but if Favre could go they'd rather have had Favre out there. Hard to blame them for that.

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Hey, you could have learned something there! Never turn your back on a good education.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Good post. A couple of things...

Yes, as others have mentioned here, and I also agree with Abyz, I thought it was pretty obvious last year that Favre was hurt. Does everyone forget him talking about needing surgery right after the end of the season? It wasn't for a hangnail. But on your point - this story still doesn't address the lousy playcalling toward the end.

Going forward we all knew Schott will be expected to show that it was really Mangina who was steering the O badly, and not deserving of having it laid on him. I was not particularly thrilled when he was retained, but the FO is giving him the benefit of the doubt. As we progress into the season, we will keep this story and what it said about the CS as last season wound down in mind.

I also am not sure why all the hatred is here for Favre on this one. He apparently told the truth when asked a direct question. Was he supposed to lie? What lie would fit with the fact that he was noted to probably need surgery at the end of last season? He hurt himself running off the field after the final play of the game?

Hating on Favre for this one is one I don't get. The guy was due his salary in any event. It turned out to be true that the CS wanted him to play, and he did, to much derision from many of the Jet fans, many here who still hate him for his performance down the stretch. Would the team have played better if he had sat down? Possibly. Is it his fault the team did not sit him down? I don't think so.

So he played hurt at the request of the CS, and many here want him lynched.

I must be missing something.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

14. cflava5

cflava5 New Member

can't expect less than the truth from number 4. always honest and unfortunately the truth hurts all the time

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

well said.

16. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

EXACTLY.......it IS, HAS BEEN, and ALWAYS WILL BE, all about Brett. Fuck you Favre......

Yea, I'm SURE he offered to sit down and end his fucking precious iron man record, cause we all KNOW Brett's more about team than he is about Brett.

Yea, OK....listen, did you know the Brooklyn Bridge is up for sale...cheap ? I can hook you up.....

Fuck you Favre......

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I see reading is one of your strengths.

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Heh.

One more thing - about Clemens.

It's tough to change Qb's in mid season. The Jets were in the playoff hunt with five to go. If Favre literally could not play, they would have had to go to Clemens. But making the change in the middle of the season with the playoffs on the line and a starting Qb who is banged up but can still play? That's not the same thing.

So, I don't necessarily see this as a complete lack of confidence in Clemens.

19. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I don't think this had anything to do with Clemens and everything to do with Mangini not having the balls to pull the plug and end the record consecutive starts of a future HOFer. If he wasn't going to bench him immediately, he should have at least done so by the Buffalo game. We won the Buffalo game with him starting then he played horrendously in the final two games; much worse than he had in the previous few. Mangini should have drawn the line somewhere but he didn't.

#119 GBA, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  20. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

How about this.......

“It was a decision that we made collectively and Brett was part of it,” Tannenbaum said. “We just felt he gave us the best chance to win and that was based on how he was playing and how the team was doing. Again, he was part of that decision, but collectively, we thought that was in the best interest of the team.”

...but now it's all the JETS fault? Bullshit.

...and his shitty play in those last 5 games was about a lot more than his weakened arm. He must have had a brain tear also. He made BAD decisions. No, beyond bad....abhorrent decisions, especially knowing that his bicep was injured. He blatantly kept attempting to make throws that his body was obviously not capable of making. All he had to do was watch the freaking film to see that. I was sitting 20 rows up in the top, and I sure as hell could see it. I'd love to have a buck for every time I said to my son "Why the fuck does he keep trying that? He HAS to know he can't do it by now...." But Brett kept on a throwin'.......and making the tear worse BTW.

I also recall Favre opting out of the surgery, and I recall Favre saying something to the NY media at the time about having that same injury happened to him before (in GB) and he didn't let them do the surgery then either.

He didn't offer the truth. He offered HIS version of the truth, and he clearly threw the JETS coaching staff under the bus....knowingly.

That's ok, next year it will be the Vikes who caused him to tank their season after he fucks it up this year because he, once again, hasn't prepared himself properly to play at this level.