2010 1st Round Possible NY Jets Targets

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Apr 27, 2009.

1. The GM

The GM New Member

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the first part. Dunlap's strength comes in his athleticism and pass rushing ability much like Julius Peppers. Not to say he isn't good against the run, but 3-4 defensive ends are pretty much the same as 4-3 defensive tackle. Their main job is to be a wall against the run to free up the linebackers and also to get some pass rush on passing plays. Dunlap's best fit by far would be in a 4-3 as a defensive end, and if he were drafted by a 3-4 team a ton of potential would be wasted if he played DE. He could make for a very good 3-4 OLB actually, you don't see it at Florida but his high school ran a 4-3 defense and about 1/3 of the time he dropped back into coverage from the DE spot. His Rivals Top 100 prospect video shows him causing havoc in the backfield, and dropping back into coverage and making an interception...heck it even shows him returning a kick off for a touchdown.

Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, Lawrence Marsh, and Jared Odrick are all better candidates for the 3-4 DE spot.

2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He's 6'6 290 as a true junior - bigger than most NFL 3-4 defensive ends already.

His athletcism could be a huge factor in Ryan's defense.

Dunlap is the closest thing to Mario Williams/Richard Seymour in a long time. I don't necessarily know if you'd play a 6'6 290 at OLB, but if he may be able to rotate between DE and OLB.

How can potential be wasted if he's a successful 3-4 defensive end? If a team drafts him to play in the 3-4, he'll more than likely be successful. Same goes for the 4-3 - he's that versatile of an athlete.

I don't agree with your opinion of Gerald McCoy - I think he's strictly a 4-3 tackle at the next level -- he's a lot like former Sooner Tommie Harris. He'd be great on a team like the Colts...

#42 Mr Electric, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  3. The GM

The GM New Member

I agree that his size would make him a "successful" 3-4 defensive end, but I don't think there's really a question as to where his skill set fits best and where he would be able to fulfill his potential to the fullest - as a DE in a 4-3. His biggest strength is his pass rushing ability, which would basically not factor into the 3-4 DE spot. 3-4 defensive lineman are run stoppers and space eaters before they are pass rushers. If you put Julius Peppers into the 3-4 and you played him at DE (he'd refuse but that is besides the point) you would waste most of his talents. If you did the same with Mario Williams (he's better against the run that Peppers) he would certainly be a "successful" 3-4 DE, but his pass rushing ability would be thrown to the wind and he would have no where near the 14 and 12 sacks season he has had the past 2 years. I guess I should re-phrase what I meant. I'm not saying Dunlap wouldn't be a "successful" DE if he can stop the run and free up our linebackers and then get to the passer when we need him to, but he'd be a MUCH BETTER player in a 4-3 defense as a defensive end.

In terms of value, I would not take Dunlap if he was on the board in the 1st and instead take a guy like Benn, Bryant, Berry, or Mays, and then look for Odrick or Marsh in the 2nd - who I think are better fits than Dunlap for the 3-4 DE spot and are both better against the run.

4. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

Whether it be Taylor Mays/Eric Berry in the 1st or Major Wright, Deunta Williams, or Morgan Burnett in the 2nd, I want a Safety in the first 2 rounds.

Seems like our first 3 rounds have to be WR, DE, and Safety in whatever order. We could use depth at NT and ILB but they're not top needs.

5. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Well depending on what Rex does like mixing up 4-3, 3-4 and 4-6 defense. Dunlap wouldn't be a bad choice at all if he proves he can stop the run and free up our linebackers like you said. So overall i'd agree with you if it was Mangini coaching us but since now it's Rex i wouldn't mind

6. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

I'll say it here, and I'm sure I'll say it again: Jared Odrick would be an awesome mid-to-late first round pick. He's going to be one of the best 3-4 ends in the NFL.

7. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that make him an awesome high first round pick?

8. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

I'm on the Eric Berry bandwagon also. Amazing tackler, who does about everything well. Potential to be the #1 overall DB taken in '10 draft.

9. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

He'll slip, probably because he won't put up incredible measurables, but the guy is just slippery. Honestly, he's the best player on Penn State, and that includes Navorro Bowman, Sean Lee, and Evan Royster: ask any Nittany Lions fan and they'll tell you that. He's got a great motor and solid strength, but a quick first step, he was constantly in the backfield last year.

10. Coach K

Coach K New Member

WW85, your definitely right about Selvie. that guy is a fucking animal.

11. The GM

The GM New Member

I agree, but I think he'll end up as a 2nd round pick.

As a DT, you'll have guys like Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, Marvin Austin and Terrance Cody picked before him, and potentially DeMarcus Granger, Vince Oghobaase, and Boo Robinson as well.

As a 3-4 DE, you also have Suh, Lawrence Marsh, and potentially Vince O. and Arthur Jones taken before him.

I just see him as a 2nd round pick, although it is very early to make that call.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Haven't been around too much..........taking a rest while things are quiet.

Thanks.....you can tell that this guy is a football player.

I believe Selvie will be the perfect OLB in a 3-4. Watching Selvie play he has good coverage skills, stuffing the run and pressure on the QB......something lacking in our Money Pit from 08's draft. The more I think of 08's first Rd selection...I'm more and more pissed.

Sanchez and Greene have eased my pain this year:)!!

#52 WW85, May 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

TTB.......I believe it's a lock Berry will be a top 5 pick....barring an injury or he does something stupid. I'm not a fan of his head coach, hopefully it won't effect Berry's game.

14. dirtysanchez7

dirtysanchez7 New Member

Berry is #1 prospect for me and is the next big safety

15. dirtysanchez7

dirtysanchez7 New Member

just throwing this scenario out there
    We finish 9-7 dont make playoffs and he are around 17th pick again. Would u pull a Patriots move that they did on the 49ers and trade the pick for a future 1st round pick to lets say the browns if Dez Bryant and Benn are taken? This way we could still add depth with 2 2nd round picks and possible trade up next year and take what is being called the #1 WR prospect ever in Julio Jones out of Bama

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

No. It'd be nice to have multiple picks in the second round, but there will be too much value in the first round.

2010's draft will probably be the best draft in over a decade. They'll be plenty of value in the middle of the first.

I'm an AJ Green supporter. Julio Jones is nasty, but Green is my favorite wideout in college football.

17. dirtysanchez7

dirtysanchez7 New Member

Im think AJ Green is a great wideout probably top 5 in the nation but he had stafford and Julio had JPW and now McElroy and Julios on a whole different level. this scenerio im talkin about would be if all the good WR and DE players are already chosen

18. 624

624 Banned

I feel like the 2011 Draft is going to get soo many of their picks traded away for this one, 2011 can have a whole new order.

19. dirtysanchez7

dirtysanchez7 New Member

i agree but i just think Julio Jones will be a top 5 pick in 2011 and can be the best WR in the league

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Don't knock AJ Green for playing with a good quarterback.

A whole different level? Julio Jones was rated one spot above AJ Green coming out of high school. They are both freakish athletes.

I think Green's the better of the two, but not by much...just my opinion.