Jets acquired QB Kevin O'Connell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Sep 6, 2009.

1. bajakian

bajakian New Member

The Denver coach was his OC last year-Maybe they are going to trade him to Denver and by not announcing what we traded to get him, it allows Denver to spin it into something more substantial when then receive him for Marshall? I'm not suggesting that we would just trade him for Marshall, but he might be part of the puzzle of players and draft picks.

2. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

To separate Marshall from the Bronco's it's going to cost the Jets a lot. No way they do a straight up trade O'Connell for Marshall , so forget about that. We may need to package something up like a 2nd rounder and a one or two players. I personally have been turned off by Marshall. Has anyone seen that video of him dogging practice because he has his period. He kicks a ball away and then bats down another pass thrown to him... I don't think I want this cancer on my team.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

There has been an 11 pages long discussion about these things... it's on the Brandon Marshall thread...

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

If the Broncos wanted O'Connell that bad they could have just traded whatever the jets did (possible 7th rounder) and had him anyway... and the pick would have been higher in the round because you have to think the jets will have a better record this year than the broncos.

5. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I see it differently. Denver not thinking the Lions would pick up a QB on waivers. The Jets seeing O'Connell put on waivers, calls the Lions and plans a trade so they pick up O'Connell to block Denver from having the ability of picking him up on waivers. The waiver and trade happened within hours.

What need do the Jets have 4 QBs on roster? Clemens and Ainge are NOT going anywhere, at least I don't think so, and the Jets need ammo to make a trade for Brandon Marshall. I could see possibly Stuckey or Clowney in the deal with O'Connell.

6. quadcityjetsfan76

You say 2 years in a row with every advantage going his way. Brett Favre, and a multi millionaire 5th pick, does not sound like the advantages were going his way.

7. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Sorry about that hall monitor. I was adding my two cents to the thread posted above mine! Just go about your business nothing to see here!!!

8. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

From today's Newsday...

"O'Connell, 6-5, 225 pounds, was a third-round pick by the Patriots in 2008. That he lasted just one season with Bill Belichick is telling. The three-time Super Bowl winning coach rarely makes personnel mistakes, especially with a third-rounder.

This preseason, O'Connell was thought to be the heir apparent to Tom Brady after the Patriots traded Matt Cassel. But O'Connell completed just 12 of 26 passes for 108 yards, no touchdowns and two interceptions. The scouting report on him is he has no pocket presence."

Better be a Part II to this transaction.

9. bajakian

bajakian New Member

Bellicheck has missed on as many as he has hit on recently, but the myth persists. And how do they like him enough to let Cassel go and then decide that he really isnt worth keeping? Sometimes it takes a while for a QB to really get it especially someone like O'Connell who is coming from a smaller program and needs to be coached up.

10. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Excellent point. O'Connell could be a good fit for Jack daniels over at Denver, I'm really beginning to think ther is something going on here, Tanna could well be doing his smoke and mirror routine to land Marshall.

11. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

I don't think O'Connell is going anywhere. I think the Jets got him to be a 3rd string qb behind Ainge. And he certainly will be used to get intel on New England.

I think Clemens is on his way out. If we get a 5th or 6th round pick for him, we'll be lucky. I can't imagine the Jets actually putting him in a game.

12. bajakian

bajakian New Member

If so, that doesnt reflect well on the Jets that they paid a seventh for a waiver wire guy and trade a veteran and former 2nd rd pick who has been in their system 4 years for a 5th or 6th. Probably will depend on circumstances of the aquiring teams need, but anything better than a 4th would be pretty shocking. Then again, we did get Mirer for a minimal draft pick and he was a high first round pick.

13. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

well O'Connell was a third round pick only a year ago and we got him for a 7th for crying out loud........

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Seems the Jets would also have drafted him last year if he was still on the board when they picked. He was the 75th highest player on their board.

15. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Even if you're not high on Clemens

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Rookie starter, backup with hardly more experience -- yeah Ainge is showing better this year, but ... still. No bring in O'Connell, you have four raw QBs. Now you probably have to let the one who has actual playing experience go (Clemens), and you have no room to bring in a vet as a reliable backstop (number 3 if Ainge bombs)

I predicted that Sanchez would inevitably struggle this year & probably get the hook at least once. All I can figure is ... this probably means he does not get pulled out for long, for better or for worse he will get thrown back in, he isn't gonna be usurped like Young was in Tennessee. This tells me that Ryan is resigned to this being a rebuilding year. It's all about getting the players and system up to speed for next year. Probably a very pragmatic read, given the schedule, but ... still.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

They could put a 4th qb on the practice squad. Jus sayin...

17. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I couldn't be high on Clemens if you hung him upside down in a dark closet for a month to dry him out and then broke him up into little pieces and smoked him.

18. bajakian

bajakian New Member

Not sure what your point is. Obviously if he shown what Cassel showed he would have been kept or traded for something substantial. My view is that draft picks are currency used to draft players. If the player does well regardless of where he was selected, then he increases in value and is worth more draft picks. If he doesnt do well then he decreases in value regardless of where he was selected. We couldnt get a bag of chips for DRob and he was the fourth pick in the draft.

Clearly Sanchez is the future and everyone else is fighting to be the back up. I'm wondering if the Jets are hoping that they can get O'Connell coached up well enough to be the back up in the future and trade Ainge for something decent if he continues to show progress. That was the Ron Wolfe method and Tannenbaum learned much from him.

19. bajakian

bajakian New Member

A guy on the practice squad can be plucked and signed without compensation. They cant leave someone that they expended draft capital on unprotected.

20. bajakian

bajakian New Member

I hear what you are saying-No matter what he does it seems to come up shit. When he makes a great pass to Brad Smith for a TD, he drops it. When he dumps off to Wright, it bounces out of his hands and is intercepted. He seems snake bit and I think it has him second guessing himself. Physically I think he has the tools but mentally I think he is playing scared.