2009 College Football Season Thread

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by JetsNation06, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

So I wonder if the MWC is still a "meaningless conference" It's the 2nd time in 5 years that an MWC team has beaten mighty Oklahoma (TCU beat them in Norman in 2005). I'm sure all the naysayers will say that they did without Bradford but if you watched the game you saw BYU dominate the entire game even when Bradford was in there. The only reason Oklahoma even scored a TD was because of a muffed punt. I just wonder if the roles were reveresed and Hall had been ko'd and BYU lost 14-13 if they would have made excuses? Not likely....

I hate BYU with a passion so I am torn... it's a huge win for my conference but now I have to listen to all these stupid idiot Cougar fans run their yaps like Lavell Edwards is winning a national title again. BYU is a really good team and they get TCU at home so TCU gets screwed again having to go on the road in Utah to win the conference but I still think they're better than BYU. They also have Florida State coming to Provo in 2 weeks... should be a very tough enviornment for the Noles as it's BYU's home opener.

As for the ND/Reno game.... just to give you Irish fans a wakeup... Nevada was 119 out of 119 against the pass last year. Do it against somebody that doesn't give up almost 400 yards a game through the air and I'll be a little more convinced.

The Big 10 once again proves its a joke.... Ohio State needs a game tying two pnt conversion to fail to beat an average Navy team and Iowa gets two blocked kicks in the last 10 seconds to beat 1AA albiet a very good N. Iowa team.... I guess it could be worse Big 10... you could be the ACC.

#41 Barry the Baptist, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

Here we go. Rebs on ESPN

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Jimmy Clausen for Heisman.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Dexter McCluster of Ole Miss is an all purpose machine.

5. Barry the Baptist

Let's be realistic... I know you know the game and you know the game and I know that you know that Nevada is a disgrace on defense.

6. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

At least they're a division 1 team.

7. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

One of our best players.

I'm impressed with Snead. It's like the first 3 quarters were the preseason. 4th quarter he went 4-5 73 2 TD

8. Barry the Baptist

So is Florida International and Duke...what's your point.

Some of those 1AA teams played very well against some 1A teams and in some games beat them. Watched the replay of App State and East Carolina and App State had an oppurtunity to win using their 3rd string QB.... Had the ball down 5 with about 1:30 to go. I would be willing to wager that if App State or Richmond played in the ACC both would finish in the upper half and both would make bowl games. Northern Iowa very nearly beat #21 Iowa... it took a miracle by the Hakweyes to win that game.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Nevada is terrible on defense, but I was very, very surprised that they failed to score on the Fighting Irish. Their defense, especially their secondary, might be for real.

Kaepernick just had an awful game, but Taua was still very effective rushing for over 100 yards.

...and I am being realistic when I say Jimmy Clausen for Heisman.

Yes, I do know the game and I think this kid will put it all together this season.

Notre Dame has a god awful schedule - they can beat everyone on it...even USC. They'll have a huge crowd on their side when they play the Trojans.

There are three ifs here:

If Clausen has protection, that offense will light teams up - Floyd and Tate are the best receiving duo in the country.

If the Irish defense can hold together, they'll win every game. No one will be able to stop their offense.

If Matt Barkley plays like a freshman and makes mistakes, Notre Dame will upset the Trojans.

Right now, Jimmy Clausen is in my Heisman top three - Tebow, Clausen, and McCoy. Jahvid Best is the dark horse.

#49 Mr Electric, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  10. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

And please explain to me why this almighty pistol offense of the Wolf Pack which had everyone and their mother pretty much worried for Notre Dame was not only shut out but dominated all around?

11. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

IDK, maybe certain other schools start the season playing lower division schools. I have no idea what the ACC has to do with ND beating the crap out of a division 1 school that just went to a bowl game last year.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...because Notre Dame is good.

Charlie Weis has quietly brought in a ridiculous amount of 4 and 5 star recruits.

It took them a while to get everything together, but I think they are for real.

I'm not as high on them as that idiot Lou Holtz is, but I've been saying it for two years - when Clausen matures and gets some blocking, he'll dominate.

13. BakerMaker

I do think Lou holds a point though that just by a momentum standard, ND gets their "tough" Games early and out of the way and ND could very well just climb onto the 2 spot.....especially if teams like WSH and NAVY who both had respectable games vs ranked teams can just have average seasons and help pump the ND SOS up. Maybe PIT and MICH can help too.

As for the USC game, it still scares me because its the maybe 1 game of the year Joe McKnight actually shows up for as he's been the ND killer for 2 years already. And I would not be surprised that by that time Carp could be the QB and not Barkley and I think Carp would be more ready for such a hostile environment.

I also cant sleep on Mich St because they usually have had ND's number lately barring that 06 collapse.

Clausen has really grown from freshman year though and its not just because the O-Line is actually good compared to that crap in 2007. He has better vision, more pinpoint accuracy and more composure when taking the snaps. I still think we need to have the Armando Allen that showed up on Saturday as opposed to the one that often dissapears. Thats my lone concern, we need the ability to run to keep the D's honest over that sick passing game.

14. Barry the Baptist

You brought up Nevada being a D1 school as if to mock teams that play 1AA schools, so what Nevada or anybody else in the WAC can't play for a title so they may as well be 1AA. Guess what ND isn't the only team who beat a lower level D1 team. I never said they woud beat or even hang with the Irish. All I pointed out a fact that Nevada statistically is the worst team against the pass in college football. It was a good win for Notre Dame but it hardly mkaes them a national title contender. Win a few more games and I may change my mind. Call me a hater but until Charlie Wiess beats USC I'll never be a believer in him or ND. If he doesn't do it this year (and I don't think he will) he's never gonna do it.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

One of the reasons that I left him off of my early rankings is because he makes a lot of errant throws...the kid sure knows how to finish though. His accuracy scares me, but he's got all of the tools needed to be a damn good quarterback prospect.

Memphis actually had a shot until the fourth quarter.

Jevan Snead will only get better, but he has to calm down and make better reads if he wants to be considered a mid-to-late first rounder by season's end.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If he doesn't do it this year, he'll be out of on the street looking for an assistant coaching job somewhere.

17. BakerMaker

That or he will fall into Pats camp and be a TGG enemy yet again.

But I think 10 wins is what I am seeing from this squad. Next week is a good test, on the road vs what seems to be an improved Wolverine squad(Cant be much worse than last year)

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I'm not a Notre Dame fan or anything, but I'm going to watch them every Saturday because I know what Jimmy Clausen is capable of doing.

Steve Clarkson speaks the truth.

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Mychal Sisson, Colorado State, is an absolute stud LB'er. Freshman All American last year looks like he'll project as a strong safety at the next level due to his size. The kid is an explosive ballhawk who covers a ton of ground.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

This just in: Rutgers sucks.