Jets acquired QB Kevin O'Connell

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Sep 6, 2009.

1. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

This was what I said in my earlier post.

However, the more i think about it, if this is true it would mean we have three QBs with a total of zero games NFL experience. That seems unlikely and increases my belief that the move was a the first step in a series of moves (perhaps trading O'Connel and then signing a vet backup)

2. MarionBarber31

Because he hurt is elbow.

3. pender30

pender30 Member

Who did we cut to make room for O'Connell?

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Agrred!

Aigne #2 and KC on IR.

5. MarionBarber31

No one yet. And with the new P and TE, now we have to move three off the roster some time today.

...some guys getting shipped out to their old friend Maingini?

6. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

hasnt been announced yet, but since we signed trapasso and mulligan (see other thread) we have to drop 3 players, and obviously 1 of which is going to be Hodges...

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Why wouldn't they just cut him then? There is no chance they are bringing him back next year and less of a chance that he would want to come back. Just cut him and save 600 or 900k or whatever it is. They have until next Friday to do that.

8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Trying to think of a reason for putting him on IR that benefits the Jets. Would it affect his UFA/RFA status next offseason?

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

More on Clemens ...
    Obviously, there's a lot of speculation regarding the future of Kellen Clemens. The Jets have not commented as of yet, nor have they confirmed the Kevin O'Connell trade, but it is my understanding that they will carry four quarterbacks.

In other words, Clemens is safe, although that elbow injury bears watching.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/#ixzz0QMOr2xN4

10. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

NO way Tanny makes us carry 4 QBs throughout the season again!

11. Don

Are they totally crazy or is this just posturing for that unannounced trade? If you say you are going to carry 4 then nobody will be expecting you to cut one of them.

12. MarionBarber31

Wow, this shit is crazy. I gotta go puff one and chill out for a while until all this shit clears up.

4 QBs???? Please, no

13. Don

Speculation from the Denver Post

"This is starting to look like something that adds up.

A little more than a week ago, about the time Brandon Marshall was suspended by the Broncos for detrimental conduct, the New York Jets expressed interest in the star-crossed receiver.

Last week, the Broncos, who have health issues with their top two quarterbacks, Kyle Orton and Chris Simms, put in a claim on New England quarterback Kevin O’Connell.

The Detroit Lions, who have Matthew Stafford and Daunte Culpepper, put in a claim on O’Connell and were awarded the quarterback because their 0-16 record last season was worse than the Broncos’ 8-8 mark. Cleveland also put in a claim ahead of the Broncos.

And now O’Connell, a second-year player, is traded today to the Jets, who have already invested heavily in a young quarterback named Mark Sanchez.

Marshall, meanwhile, was at the Broncos’ facility today, although the team had to formally announce his suspension had been lifted and the corresponding roster move. The Broncos have meetings and a practice today as they begin formal preparations for their season-opener next Sunday at Cincinnati.

Even though this appears to be far more than a coincidence, an NFL source said the Broncos are not planning to trade Marshall."

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2009/09/06/oconnell-to-jets-a-coincidence/

14. nyjets2sb

nyjets2sb Member

Not only is it bad that there is a chance we will carry 4 qbs this season, it makes it worse that we had to give up something to get O'connel. Btw, I see your from Bradley Beach, you don't live too far from me... I'm from pt. pleasant myself.

15. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

my thinking: Tanny knows O'connell is of interest to 3 teams which have interesting WR that might be available. He also knows Clemens is hurt for 2 games (I'm assuming). He also thinks the kid is talented.
    If the cost is only a 7 rounder why not pick him up and:
    A) strike a trade for a WR which might involve him (and throwing in a QB certainly has more weight then throwing in a 7rd pick)
    B) Clemens goes on IR and we have a 3rd QB which might become a good player
    C) Hope one of the teams (Denver) gets desperate and throws a 6 rounder to have him

additional value is the fact he knows the Patriots playbook.

This way it would make sense... my fear is that Clemens will be healthy, no one will want O'connell not even for a 7 rd pick and we have to cut someone to carry 4 QB... we'll see...

#115 Mambo9, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  16. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

A PFT Tweet headed "jets-looking-to-flip-o/" came up there, blank page, but presumably that O refers to our latest QB...

17. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

If the Broncos dont bite on the Marshall trade, I say we do with Clemens what we did with Miller last year. Throw him on the PUP list, and the first team whos qb goes down trade Clemens to them for a draft pick.

18. agrich

agrich New Member

Clemens isn't eligible for the PUP list.

If the Lions could get a better deal from the Broncos for O'Connell than the Jets, they likely would have. O'Connell has minimal value (kind of like Clemens); no trade for Brandon Marshall, real or imagined, has anything to do with this minor shuffling of nobody quarterbacks.

Most likely between now and the start of the season either Clemens will be placed on injured reserve, or released, or O'Connell will be, after the Jets take a look at him/pick his brain/whatever.

19. Don

20. Drew

Drew Active Member

It doesn't make much sense to trade him anywhere other than Denver. Cleveland already has 2 serviceable QB's, KC has Cassel and Thigpen is a solid young backup.

Denver needs something because Orton fucking sucks and Simms is hurt. I can't see many other teams.

Maybe the 9ers... who were rumored to put Crabtree up for trade but that would cost a lot as far as picks and cash. Would be pretty sick, though. Sanchez to Crabtree.