**OFFICIAL** Brandon Marshall Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RedWhiteBlue&Green, Sep 1, 2009.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He looks like he'll end up being a possession receiver in the NFL with that skillset. I wouldn't want to spend a first round pick on him.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

They have the same leverage they always had if they wanted to trade him, he's market value based on what other teams are willing to pay for him.

There is a very good reason not to trade him so fast. The Bronco's are rebuilding and they can't send a message to the hand full of players they want to be part of their future that they can cry their way off the team to a better deal with someone else.

They can suspend him without pay without hurting their rebuild and reestablish some descipline. They can franchise him and trade him in the off season when his value is likely to be just as high or higher.

This is not cut and dry at all. The Jets have zero leverage. If the Bronco's want to trade him it's to the highest bidder.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

The Giants make more sense... they can afford to give away a 1st round pick... because looking at their roster all they need is a 1 WR and they can go all the way...

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This fact will be completely overlooked by the simpledons if the Giants were to trade for him. They would just bitch about how the Giants really want to win and the Jets aren't doing anything, PSL, blah blah blah. They already built there foundation and saved up the cash to put new siding on.

5. abyzmul

Yep, happens every time Jets fans fall in love with a prospective trade/drafted player, no matter how many times that player has beaten the shit out of his girlfriend or gotten arrested. I wouldn't compare Brandon Marshall to Terrell Owens like I keep hearing from the media, though. I'd compare him to Pacman.

6. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Indeed. He doesn't seem to get a ton of seperation, just great hands.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They have Nicks.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

The Giants spent their 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick on WR's in the 2009 draft......I'm pretty sure it DOESN'T make sense for the Giants.

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

of course, and nobody is jumping out of their shoes to meet their demands. their demands represent the leverage they think they have, and the two don't coincide. their leverage is minimal, which when compared to the leverage they think they have, is borderline no leverage at all. clearly I wasn't being literal with the use of no leverage, it was comparative.

10. abyzmul

It's pretty rare that wide receivers produce a lot in their rookie season. Even the great ones. They could trade a guy like Manningham and a D-lineman and a mid-round pick and probably get it done.

11. Don

You don't spend your first round pick and how ever many millions they did so you can sit there and say we need a #1 receiver.

12. abyzmul

The Patriots traded for 2 impact wideouts in one season and destroyed most of the passing records in that season. Sometimes overloading works.

13. Don

Yeah, but what did it cost them? a 4th and a 5th?

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I agree with Don on this one.....unless Nicks turns out to be the WR version of Vernon Gholston.....the Giants looking to trade for a #1 wideout doesn't make a lot of sense.

I can't see the Giants collecting wideouts like Gruden collects QBs.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The Giants need a #1 receiver as much as we do. This season.

16. abyzmul

They spent a 2nd rounder on Welker and a 4th on Moss. Here they could be sending away an impact depth D-lineman, a very fast slot receiver and a 3rd and I bet they could get Marshall easily.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

They drafted Nicks to fill that hole...

18. Don

He had 144 yards against our vaunted d. :)

#778 Don, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

The Giants roll with a 4-3 defense......not sure the Broncos would be interested in their D-linemen since they switched to a 3-4 alignment this season....maybe Canty...since he played in Dallas's 3-4....but i think he's hurt.

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The Giants won a SB with a very productive Armani Toomer coupled with Buress. The Giants have a lot of development WR who can also be part of a trade. Nicks may well fill that hole but Nicks and Marshall with Smith, Dixon or Manningham in the slot makes them formidible in a very tough division to score points in.

Right now the Jets have a more proven No. 1 in Cotch than the Giants do on their roster. They have a lot of potential but they aren't rebuilding.