**OFFICIAL** Brandon Marshall Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RedWhiteBlue&Green, Sep 1, 2009.

1. KBJET

KBJET Member

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/the-boone-docks-1.1279166

Brandon Marshall a possibility?

27 m ago By Roderick Boone
    Our Bob Glauber spoke with a league source who said the Jets are seriously exploring the possibility of trading for Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall, currently suspended until Sept. 5 for conduct detrimental to the team.

There's been plenty of talk about the Jets group of wide receivers, with most thinking the Jets need a big name, but more importantly, a big target to help out rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez and the passing game. Jerricho Cotchery is the No. 1 and coach Rex Ryan said Monday that it looks like Chansi Stuckey appears to have settled in at the No 2 spot, although it's a position he said will be handled by committee.

Bringing in someone with Marshall's talent and large 6-4, 240-pound frame would obviously give the Jets that huge receiver they lack. Marshall caught 104 balls for 1,265 yards with six touchdowns last year in his third season in the NFL. But you would also have to factor in the issues he's going through in Denver, which have landed him in hot water with first-year coach Josh McDaniels.

He's been unhappy with his situation in Denver, but after trading quarterback Jay Cutler to the Bears in April, the Broncos might only be willing to part with Marshall for a steep price.

Not anything new but I still figured i'd post it. I'm split on the brandon marshall situation, as much as i want him i dont want to give up a first round pick.

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

http://www.jetsdaily.com/2009/09/brandon-marshall-watch.html

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

hard to argue with that Mack. Even though it wasn't true, that earlier trade the 2 and a 4 might not be a bad way to go. Especially if we have a clause built in that if Marshall is suspeneded by the league this year, they get only a 4, and should in 2010 he get suspended we get their 2011 3rd round pick back. that covers us if Marshall is an idiot, and imo getting an elite NFL #1 for a 2 and 4 is solid, plus it would go just like the shockey deal NO made last year, if the #2 goes for Lito then the broncos get the #1.

in reality at most we give up would be a 2 and 4, if marshall strays, we get picks back in future drafts. I don't see a downside, for the Jets anyway....

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I say offer a 2nd round pick and a 4th, with the condition that the 4th could be upgraded to a 3rd if he gets any one of the three conditions; 1,000 yards, 10TDs or 100 catches.

Better deal would be to just give them the 1st and be done with it. This guy was worth two 1st round picks before pre-season started.

Taking a chance on him is far less risky than drafting a player in the 1st round.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

"It is believed the Broncos would want a first-round draft pick in any deal for Marshall, but it is unlikely the Jets would pay that high a price."

That was in the Newsday article.

If they could get him for only a 2nd it would be the steal of the century.

#105 Don, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Wake me if we end up trading for him

7. Don

If we do I would assume we try to do it before the final cuts need to be made.

8. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Totally agree. I think we have what we need going into this season. This season is going to be a head-scratcher at times, but I have not set my expectations too high. But, yes, getting rid of QB depth at this point would be very foolish. With Clemens, if Sanchez goes down, we do have somebody that is ready to come in and play.

9. Don

Florio's latest on it. The fact he is hating on the Jets so much it must be true.

Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2009 7:47 AM ET
    We recently wrote that, based on various rumors we've been hearing, we believe that the Broncos are talking to a small handful of teams regarding a trade for receiver Brandon Marshall.

According to Bob Glauber of Newsday, one of those teams is the New York Jets.

Per Glauber, the Jets are "seriously considering" the possibility of doing a deal for the guy who, one week ago today, was practicing his punting.

And it's no surprise. G.M. Mike Tannenbaum surely realizes that he narrowly avoided getting the Mangini treatment in January, and Tannenbaum surely is smart enough to realize that another season of unfulfilled expectations could get him a lot closer to the chopping block (but yet not smart enough to avoid Marshall like a hot dog topped off with chili, onions, and swine flu).

With receiver Laveranues Coles gone and not yet replaced (unless Chansi Stuckey is the real deal), the Jets need someone who can help Tannenbaum's prior 2009 big risk -- rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez -- look good by getting open and catching the ball.

So, yeah, it wouldn't be a surprise if the Jets make a move that other teams would likely avoid, given Marshall's various warts and flaws and questions marks. From Tannenbaum's perspective, Marshall needs to play hard and keep it together only for the coming season. The Jets can worry about whether Marshall will be a good long-term fit in 2010.

At a minimum, look for the Jets to do something, whether it's a trade with the Eagles, a scan of the Saturday cut list, or, at a minimum, giving Amani Toomer a tire kicking.

#109 Don, Sep 2, 2009
  10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

What expectations? Are we expected to be in the playoffs? If so, by who?

11. Don

I would think Woody expects it. That is why Mangini is gone. If they bring in Marshall the expectations will even be higher. He spent a fortune last year on Faneca, Jenkins, Woody and Pace. This year he has spent another fortune on Scott, Sanchez and Sheppard. He didn't do that so we could be a last place team in the division. I'm sure Ryan has a 1 year grace period but Woody wants to sell out that new stadium and it isn't happening right now.

#111 Don, Sep 2, 2009
  12. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I know; what expectations. We are starting a rookie QB. Granted, Sanchez looks like he might have a shot at panning out, but it isn't in the bag, yet. And, historically, rooks do not come in a tear it up. The Jets are hoping Sanchez can be a Flacco, but it is easier said than done.

For me, it would be much more catastrophic if our D was a disgrace this year.

13. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

It's hard to watch that highlight video and not pine for the guy. But my god he's a punk. The serial girlfriend beating is just really bad, and the other stuff too. He's the kind of guy to get busted for something right when we need him most. I think if I'm Tanny I grit my teeth and say no.

That said, if they do make a trade for him, I agree might as well just give a 1st. What's so great about a 1st? A ton of money for a possible Vernon Ghost? I'd rather have a 2nd and 4th.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Of course you should ignore D'Brick, Mangold, Revis and Keller. The only first round pick that matters is the guy who had to change positions.

15. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

per Newsaday

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

if marshall wasnt a fucking nutcase id say make the damn deal. but if he wasnt he wouldnt be on the block would he? lol.

i stand by my earlier post. and i agree with MrElectric. next years draft is completely loaded. we lack depth on both sides of the line. to a point of severity.

if marashall could ultimately be had for a 2nd rd pick itd be hard to argue that but the guy is a walking suspension waiting to happen under Goodell's reign. but who knows maybe he just had a fit because they chased his QB out of town. who knows.

but definitely not for a 1st rd pick. the other thing i dont know about is McDaniels sitting him for not learning the playbook? is that a Bellicheck school of media cover up maneuver. did marshall refuse to learn it? or could he not grasp it?

then throw in the fact this guy finds trouble in Denver let alone NY.

he cant make any more youtube highlights from his couch suspended.

im on the fence hes an obvious man beater on the field. and a woman beater off it.

17. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I'm not really for signing the guy, but it doesn't matter what I think. If we end up signing him, I hope they would make it performance-based with clauses for poor conduct, etc. That way we are at least a little protected in case he goes and shoots himself in the leg or pouts when no one throws him the ball every time. I wouldn't be as pissed if we gave up a 2nd for him, but I still wouldn't like it.

18. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

Why do some people still give PFT a bad rap? 4 years ago 5 years ago a comment like this would carry some weight. Not anymore, not even close.

19. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

i want a nutcase on my team.

i would take hitler satan and jeffrey dahmer on my team just give me an AFC Conference Championship victory at home and then a Super Bowl victory already.

20. Don

Nobody could argue the fact that the Jets would be scary with Marshall. Even this year with a rookie QB and rookie HC.