**OFFICIAL** Brandon Marshall Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RedWhiteBlue&Green, Sep 1, 2009.

1. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

First of all, Brad Smith sucks.

Second of all, if G_d forbid Mangold gets hurt or Jenkins gets hurt we'd be shit out of luck, so we should also be looking to trade away future picks for NT's and C's. Might as well give away all our picks in order to backup our starters just in case they get hurt. G_d forbid.

We'll be fine with the WR's we have now. I don't think the majority of the fan base with half a brain is expecting us to the Playoffs this year anyway. A 3rd that can be a 1st if he plays 100% of the snaps...or pass.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Trading away draft picks for the pressing need of the moment only further complicates the depth issues we already have. It's time to start stock piling picks and building solid depth through the draft, instead of spending them on a very risky, over priced cunt that will likely end up in prison and/or suspended from the NFL in the next 2 years.

If Sanchez is the real deal, he'll make our current receivers better.

3. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

There are other teams in the mix, other than the Jets, so I'm thinking a 2nd rounder is a given. Whoever gets him is probably going to have to give up a 1st. Unless his stock is so low because of the baby incident, but I don't think that's the case.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Unless the Jets were to trade out of their first pick (assuming it was a decent pick), a first round pick is not going to be used on a depth player... it's going to be used on a starter... so essentially, if we traded for Marshall we'd be getting a known star player who is still young.

Absolutely don't disagree about the risk of him ending up in prison... it's definitely worthy of concern and I really wouldn't be for the Jets giving up the house to get this douche.

5. RedWhiteBlue&Green

I don't agree. I always want to win now. On draft day, you can always make a trade to move up, if you need to. The Jets are real good at that.

And this isn't the Knicks, where they traded all of their draft picks for like ten years down the road :)

If it takes a first, and it means a playoff spot, I'd give it.

But again, if Sanchez is forced to make Brad Smith better, we're in trouble.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

I would argue that our most pressing need in the first round would be a 3-4 DE or NT rather than a receiver. Whether the board would stack up to make that a good decision is obviously unknown. It's also been suggested that it would take more than a 1st rounder.

7. xxedge72x

More than a 1st rounder is unacceptable.\

I would part with just a 1st rounder because it would be equivalent to actually using a first round pick on a player... except we'd be getting one whose a known entity. You also have to factor in that if trading for Marshall adds 2-3 wins to the season, then that means our draft spot ends up that much further back in the order, thus we will have given up that much less to get him... from that perspective it's a win win for the Jets.

As far as depth... I feel the problem is on the offensive line... but again you wouldn't address that with 1st round picks. I can see us needing a 3-4 DE to eventually replace Ellis, but I think our depth there is fine. I really like the acquisition of Howard Green, and our backup DEs aren't bad either.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

In reality the Jets #1 and #2 are probably Keller and Washington

9. xxedge72x

I agree with this... our receiving weapons at TE and HB are going to make the Jets receivers look better than they actually are.

10. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

We definitely need depth on the lines. A good blocking TE would be pretty sweet too. Strong side disaster.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

You think our depth at DE is fine but one of our starters is a career depth guy. How does that speak to our depth? We don't even have two starting 3-4 DE's.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Denver's asking price has been a 1st and a 3rd. Don't know if that has changed now. I am guessing if there is ANY truth to this at all it would mean they want to trade him before his suspension ends on the 5th. Again I am skeptical about this whole thing.

13. xxedge72x

Douglas has been one of the most productive DEs in the league over the past few seasons at tackles for losses. This guy is not a depth player... at worst, he's a wash to Kenyon Coleman, who wasn't bad either.

I don't see starting DE as much as need as starting WR. Honestly, you're comfortable with Chansi Stuckey as a #2?

14. xxedge72x

If any team gives Denver a 1st and 3rd for Marshall then Denver raked them over the coals... good for them if they can pull that off but I doubt they get that.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

If we drafted a 3-4 DE in round 1 he would almost certainly start over Douglas.

As for Chansi - let's see what he can do. I'm willing to give him a chance. He's done well in limited action.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You know, I laughed at this as a joke, but then I laughed at the ideas of the Burgess and Moss trades, too. And neither of those guys belonged to a team that was coached by an ex-Patriots coordinator. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if it's what happens. Maybe it will drive some off-kilter AFCE fan over the edge and he'll blow Belichick's brains out.

17. Leon_Washing-Machine

I bet he trades up to get Sanchez. =)
    But seriously, I wouldn't be upset if we gave them a 1 and a couple scrubs for Marshall.

18. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Rex called it an "all-weather offense" so I don't see that including any type of flashy receiver. Marshall is awesome, but there're are more pressing needs than a WR. Stucky actually impressed me, this PS. His grit is what's so impressive.

19. RedWhiteBlue&Green

I don't think they'll get that either. Probably most teams that are in the mix for Marshall are skeptical and are not willing to part with much to get him. I think a first round pick (possibly a second) will get him.

20. xxedge72x

I think if we drafted a 3-4 DE, he'd rotate with Ellis and Douglas until Ellis got phased off the team.

A round 1 WR is much more likely to own the starting job than a DE.