I support Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It sounds like Gholston was successful at doing what was asked of him for the most part. Everyone freaking out that he was the suck because he didn't get a sack needs to understand he's doing what he's supposed to. At least in these plays Scik has pointed out.

Of course we all want to see him harassing the shit out of QB's, that's why he was taken at #6 overall. At least he's contributing to the defense in a positive way.

Let's see what happens when he gets an opportunity to consistently rush the passer.

2. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Im think that his $20M isnt going to be used to occupy blockers. As I said before, I think Ryan put him in this situation by design. It allows him valuable experience with 1 on 1, as well as a few double teams, to learn how to shed blockers. He wasn't getting the outside edge like many of our linebackers(Harris, Pace, BT) were because he was playing that role of DE to allow others to run free. On his one 4-3 play, he was pretty quick off the snap as well to react to the quick screen. I was actually surprised as how quickly he reacted. He eventually will be used as a 3-4 OLB who rushes the passer from off the edge, but I dont think we will see that until Week 1.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

It would rule if you're on the money.

It gets tiring having these same conversations year-in and year-out. Brick was bust. Gholston was a bust.

Some players need time and development. It's year 1.5 for this kid, and we have a coach who is obviously into the hand-on approach, rather than the "go run a lap while you think about what you did wrong" approach.

I'll be satisfied with any production we get out of him, as opposed to getting nothing like last year. If he becomes the player he was drafted to be, look out!

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I think we can all agree on that. But he is going to start for a 1/3 of the season. His production will have to be more substantial than 0.

I know you have this team on 4-6 wins, but if the team can run effectively and the defense ranks in the top 10 in the league, they have a chance to win more games.

Gholston whether we like it or not, is an integral role player now.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I think this guy has a good head on his shoulders and is a hard worker with great athletic skills. Under Rex I think he will consistently improve. I could be wrong. But I think judging him based on 1 yr under mangina is premature. Lets be a little more supportive of this guy. I remember a guy named Farrior who was a 1st rdr who started slow as an NFL LB but he went onto be come a very good player.

6. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

As disappointed as everyone is in him, there's too much invested to bail now. Let's see how he's done by the end of the year. Do I expect Pro Bowl numbers, no. But maybe over the next year, he'll show promise. I'm not going to sit around and analyze/break down every time the guy moves. I think he's gotten more attention than Sanchez by some people on here.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

a tweet from today.

New York Jets 08/26/2009 12:45 PM ET
    KR: Practice is in shorts, not full pads today. Woody is back practicing. Gholston is playing with the ones again.

which obviously says that he hasn't even been practicing with the 1s.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

pace was practicing. Gholston was with the twos.

it doesn't matter anyway.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

he could be practicing with Jesus and the Dalai Lama.......Gholston still plays like a bum.

10. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

i am of the opinion that people try to make football out to be more complicated than it actually is. we all love to analyze every player on every snap. we have all these metrics and performance tests. we run 40 yard dashes and measure every little detail, blah blah blah...

when it comes down to it, football will always be about blocking and tackling. it does not take a microscope to observe the fact that vernon gholston is usually being blocked, and rarely makes a tackle.

that is a bad ratio, and thus, a bad player. i'm sorry, but its the simple truth.

having said all of that, i would LOVE to see vernon gholston succeed. the fact that gholston supporters need to delve into the minutia of his stance, his footwork, his explosion off the line, etc merely illustrates the fact that he is not doing anything impactful. just make a goddam tackle, and i'll consider that to be improvement. this is not rocket science.

11. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Wow. :eek:hmy:

Pathetic logic. He has an assignment on every given play. The fact is that when he wasnt double teamed, he was supplying the most pressure on the QB, and that proves that youre a turd. This so called "simple truth" you speak of is your biased opinion. You lose.

There is no point arguing with you, since you clearly dont know much about this sport that we call football.

12. yanks9596

the team that blocks and tackles better wins. that's the truth. i'm sorry if you disagree.

your preference for over analyzing football players is the very reason we wound up drafting this dud in the first place.

#172 yanks9596, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  13. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

as a DE in the 3-4, you often face double teams, and take up blockers to allow outside rushers and blitzing safeties to hit the holes. Gholston not only did this, but pushed his man back into the QB, which applied pressure on Flacco.

Breaking down the play of a particular player is what helps us see how well they really are playing. Unfortunately for you, you believe football is simply a game of numbers. It is not. Go stick your head in the sand. Either that or please break your keyboard. Everyone who has just read your last two posts have become dumber for being exposed them...

14. yanks9596

wrong. you have it completely backwards. i do not give a damn about number of tackles, or number of sacks. i just want to see an obvious impact with my own two eyes, perhaps in the form of a tackle.

football is about making an impact, especially as a linebacker. if you're not making your presence felt in a very obvious way, then you're just not getting the job done.

#174 yanks9596, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Scik, you're clearly wasting your time w/this guy.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

so scik is joey clinkscales?

because if he isn't, this sentence should be used to for wiping purposes.

17. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

hahah no kidding. Some people just can't be reasoned with.

18. XxAlbert84xX

XxAlbert84xX New Member

Can you have a banner signature that states that you believe in Vernon Gholston

19. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I have no problem with a difference of opinion but if you are going to argue one side so strongly, I suggest you back it up with some facts, which you clearly have not done....You're pretty much taking a blind shot in the dark with your opinion involving Gholston.

You might as well turn around pal, the dart board is actually on the other wall....

20. yanks9596

Actually, you seem take tremendous personal offense to a difference of opinion!

Before you attempt to verbally abuse me one more time, let me just say this... and then I will leave. I do not need to present facts to illustrate that what I'm seeing from Gholston is unimpressive and uninspired play. I don't need numbers to prove that Gholston appears confused and looks lazy out there. I don't need to rewind my DVR and break down every single play in slow motion to know that Gholston did not make his presence felt in that football game. If you disagree, then so be it.

OK, I'm outta here! Carry on!