I support Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

:rofl:

I missed this gem.

Im sorry, I dont have access to the DVR right now, but when i do get ahold of it later tonight, I have no problem backing my so called "blind faith" for Gholston. Expect a very descriptive reply, and a breakdown of his most scrutinized plays. Maybe you should watch the game, and then tell me what exactly he did that was so terrible. Until then, GFY.

For the record, I never said he would live up to his #6 pick, but by no means do I think he will be a complete bust. He's showing steady improvement, not leaps quite yet. I also think the Jets will finish around 8-8, and Mark Sanchez will struggle quite a bit this year. I think our WR core is terrible, and I think our D-line, TE, O-line, and Secondary depth is atrocious. Color me a sunshiner....

#121 Scikotic, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  2. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Not a Buckeye fan, but living in Columbus, I'm force fed Bucyeyes 24/7.........I knew as most OSU Fans, Gholston wasn't going to amount to much in the NFL.

Lack of desire for football, no passion, a loner that never participated in events and hanging with teammates, one trick-pony rushing the passer, gets engulfed...on and on. Made the majority of plays against Mac teams or even lower competition.

Especially lost in learning how to cover in a 3-4 scheme....what a joke.

#122 WW85, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  3. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

Maybe the dingo ate your baby.

For real though, you know what I mean. He doesn't have the desire, the hunger, to make plays and be dominant. He just seems to lack that mental component.

Look at a guy like #80 (is his jersey retired?). Even though he was a nice guy to meet and interview, on the field he wanted to beat, embarass, and destroy you. Do you see that in Gholston?

The lexicon I have for this is Tae Kwon Do. I am a 2nd degree black belt and have 17 years of experience with the art. When it comes to sparring (fighting in matches) some people just have the desire to go out there and physically dominate another human being while others only do what they are told and try to score a few points. I worked as a trainer/coach for 5 years, so I'm not just bullshitting here.

4. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Everyone has 'that mental component'. There isn't a person in this world that doesn't feel aggression; some people, like Gladys, just bottle it up inside.. and those are the ones with more of it than anyone. If someone can get him on the right track and tap into it, he can be a beast. He just needs the taste of blood and a little success and he'll be on his way.

5. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Either #50 was told to hold back therefore becoming our secret weapon or he will never be no more that what he is now. Bait

6. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

***WARNING*** Gholston haters, do not read. You're not going to like this...

3rd and 6
    – Gholston lined up as an END in a 3 man front, in a 6 LB set. 3 LB blitz, Gholston occupies the tackle to free up a blitzer on the outside. Blitz picked up by motioned TE.

3rd and 10 – Gholston again lined up as a DE in the Nickle package this time. Gholston rushes from the other end, and manages rush around the Tackle. Flacco throws a quick pass to an open receiver, but misses. Note Gholston was the closest the QB.

2nd and 7 – Gholston again lined up as a DE in 3 man front and a 6 LB set. Quick pass, no rushers close.

3rd and 7
    – Gholston lined up over the Center, with a 6 man rush, (2 man delayed blitz by Leonhard and Ihedigbo). Blitz comes too late, Flacco throws deep pass. Gholston gets picked up by both the Center and Right Guard. No pressure whatsoever.

2nd and Goal – Gholston lines up as a DE in a 3 man front and 6 LB set. May I say a pretty nifty draw play by Flacco before noting that Gholston was pushed off the line and double teamed by the center and Right Guard. No kidding though, the draw play was nice, he pumped a screen to a receiver, and then with his left hand, a no looker, stuck the football out blind right into Rice's chest. Well done. Gholston got raped by 2 lineman btw. I really can't see how anyone can expect a 260 pound LB to take on two - 300 lb. lineman.

3rd and 8 – Yet another 6 LB set where Gholston is kicked inside while other Linebackers are rushing from the outside. 6 man blitz, Gholston is singled up with the guard. Gholston punches him twice and pushes him right into the QB as Flacco throws a quick skinny post. Note Gholston applied the most pressure, from the inside no less. Rushing from the outside, David Harris was not too far away from Flacco either.

--------2nd qtr

3rd and 15 – The infamous, “Gholston can't chase down Flacco” play. AGAIN, Gholston is a DE in a 3 man front, rushing the tackle this time. He collapsed the pocket from the strong side, and had Flacco not had a nice pocket up front to step up into, Gholston might have had his first sack. Note that the play was called back for holding on #77, the man responsible for creating such a nice cushion in the middle of the pocket in the first place. Gholston was also in the midst of changing direction and was 3 yards behind Flacco ( who I know you forgot stepped up in his nice penalty tainted pocket) when he took off scrambling.

3rd and 25 – The first time I have see Gholston in a position to actually rush the passer as a outside rusher. 4 man front, Gholston lined up as a DE. Speed rush to the outside, tackle pulls for a screen. Gholston misses the tipped pass literally by inches. It looks almost as if the ball grazed his hand, but the spiral wasn't interrupted so its likely he missed. Showed good burst and instincts to get his hand up to bat the pass down.

Random notes:

Gholston used as a 3-4 DE: 5 of 8
    Gholston used as 4-3 DE: 1 of 8
    Gholston used as 4-3 DT: 2 of 8

Gholston applying pressure: 4 of 8
    Gholston double teamed : 2 of 8

* For those who dont know, :rolleyes: a 3-4 DE isnt a sack position. Neither is an extremely undersized 4-3 DT. On 4 pass plays, he was able to apply some sort of pressure on the QB from mainly the End position. They haven't even used him as a feature rusher yet. They are mainly using his strength and speed to rush the tackles head on. The only thing he hasn't done is got to the QB. There were quite a few quick release passes by Flacco. He did a good job of getting the pass away, incomplete or not. 8 stinking plays in the first half, most of which he didn't even play from a pass rushing position.

#126 Scikotic, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Gladys perfects the art of 'knuckle full of jersey' technique.
    [​IMG]

Gholston gets double teamed on this play.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On a side note, not so long ago I remember alot of people calling D'Brick a bust.
    Someone whos been in a similar position to Gholston has been B Thomas, and I look at the highlight reels and stills from the last 2 games , and it looks like hes going to have a good year.

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Can't argue the facts Gus...I haven't even touched the 2nd half, but I bet it isnt much different. Jet fans just love to bitch and moan over nothing. This is not the exception...

9. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Its in our DNA , the grass is aways greener.
    I'm all for sticking with Gholston and think that if anyone can get something from him Ryan and Co will.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'm still with you Scik, and nice breakdown.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

nm....................................................

#131 Don, Aug 26, 2009
  12. FriendlyGiantsFan

I'm not talking about feeling aggression, I'm talking about the willingness to put that sentiment into action against another human being. Gholston doesn't play mean.

13. FriendlyGiantsFan

This is a great post. I must admit that I did not consider the different goals from the different positions he rushed from. I did notice him getting a good jump off the line a few times, but that was the best thing I was willing to concede he did all night.

I still don't have much confidence in him, but I don't have nearly as low an opinion of him as I used to.

14. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

True, 3-4 Ends don't get sacks but you've listed multiple sets in which Gholston lines up as a 4-3 DE. In a 4 man front, the DE is supposed to be the pass rusher. Gholston was not drafted by this team at 6 overall simply to occupy blockers. We could get that kind of production out of a UDFA(Kenwin Cummings and Jamaal Westerman can do this at a much cheaper cost per play). He was supposed to be a pass rusher. We know he can occupy blockers but occupying blockers doesn't solve the problem with Calvin Pace. He's very good at tying up lineman but he can't get past them. We need someone to get to the QB, especially given our first four games which include Tom Brady and Drew Brees, two QBs with quick releases. If we can't shake up Joe Flacco with this system and personnel then we are definitely going to be in trouble against last year's league leading passer and a 3-time Super Bowl champion.

#134 CatoTheElder, Aug 26, 2009
  15. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

.... really? you're boring, and possibly insane as well.

how bout instead of dissecting this thing to death, you try a bigger picture view. believe it or not, football is not about micro-dissection of a player you don't notice at first... its about macro, jump off the screen, in your face, IMPACT. gholston does not possess this ability. in fact, gholston does NOTHING impactful.... ever! he is mr INVISIBLE out there! this is so painfully obvious to me and all other realists... why people continue to defend his marginally microscopic, miniscule improvements is beyond me.

16. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Thank you for the review. I hope we are all offbase and he has a big year. This is the key, if Gholston comes to life and plays up to potential. This D will be lethal. The pieces are in place (when Revis and Jenkins return) for a big year. Gholston will be key when Pace is out.

Off topic, but did anyone else notice Pace playing well into the second half? Is this just for conditioning as he is going to miss some games?

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Great post. Football is the ultimate visual, in your face sport. If you've played the sport at any level you can anticipate the play before it ever happens and see where each guy is supposed to be on the field. Even if you haven't and you have a keen football eye you can clearly see the impact of all 11 defenders prior to the play developing. You can very easily judge a guy's performance based off this.

More specifically, Edge defenders are ultimately judged by how many tackles they make, how many sacks they have, forcing the QB out of the pocket and overall disruption.

The breakdown provided by the Pro-Gholston camp was merely a way to justify his existence on the field. He has not been cast into the role of a Rush End/OLB to just merely exist. He is out there to make an IMPACT and be DISRUPTIVE as you said which is spot on! If anything, the arguments brought up would apply much more to an interior D lineman than an outside guy. They are the ultimate space eaters who occupy blockers and free things up for the rest of the defense to make plays. The only thing a coach wants to see from a D End is getting to the ballcarrier/QB on every play.

You don't draft a DE #6 overall and then just talk about all of the little things he does behind the scenes.

Not in football and especially as an outside defender. You should be able to clearly see his impact on the field in all the ways already mentioned.

18. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I support Hot Broads...but didn't need to make a thread on it.

CASPER = BUST

19. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

I'm sure most of the people supporting Da Ghost, were the same ones telling me Justin Miller is an awesome CB...

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

What an incredibly useless post. Please compensate me for the time I wasted reading it.

The post you responded to was simply showing that he is not completely INVISIBLE. It actually shows that he did have an IMPACT.

Now that impact is not what people expect from a guy drafted to be a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB. BFD. He's not who he was expected to be. Instead, Ryan has found a different use for him, so he's not a complete bust, and a salary sinkhole.

The fact that people are so concerned with "being right" that he's a "complete bust" that they are willing to ignore specific evidence proving he contributed is what is insane.