CB Debate: Jets' Lowery vs. Raiders' Branch

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Mr Electric, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Dude, Lowery actually MADE plays. Branch MADE out with a couple of undeserved game checks.

You bring up your whole season, and we bring up your season, and then your retardation kicks in and for some reason you switch arguments and fail at the CB debate too.

5 wins or less for the last 6 years. Going no where fast, bucko.

By the way: Don't tell us about injuries, you call Favre a has been but was injured the 5 games the rest of the nation was rejoicing and being short-sighted like fans so usually are, and quick to forget that he's Brett Favre, 3 time MVP, soon to be HOFer. Including a lot of fans here.

You're right though, our QB situation is probably fucked up. But, we have some semblance of an O-line now, so we'll see.

2. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Don't worry the raidchokers will probably be 6-10 next season instead of 5-11. He'll call that an improvement

3. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

When its all said and done Lowery got benched in favor of friggin' Ty Law. This isn't a fight worth fighting.

4. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

And yet Lowery>>Branch and lowery actually showed potential to be a good cornerback in this league.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wait..did somebody who is an Oakland fan say OUR QB situation is fucked up? I wouldn't trade with them at that position for anything.

6. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

This is easier said than done for the Jets organization, Jeaux. Seeing how in the last 5 years, we've had a crack at a top 10 pick only twice. Whereas the Raiders have had a top 10 pick 4 times. Not to mention, it looks like you'll have yet another top 10 pick this year, and you'll have 5 cracks at top 10 picks in 6 years. If the Raiders keep sucking at this rate, you could technically assemble an all Pro-Bowl team by the year 2015. I wouldn't get my hopes up tho, cause your FO has been known for drafting huge busts and I don't even wanna get started on that.

7. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

Tyvon Branch: The UConn Perspective

I'm currently a student at the Storrs campus, and had the opportunity to watch Tyvon practice and play live. I can assure you that his intangibles do not match up with Lowery.

If you could measure it within a skill set, it would be speed. Perhaps. But a blazing 40-time on astroturf in the RCA dome, does not translate to speed on grass or game day.

Lowery has incredible instincts. Someone previously mentioned that Branch was coached by Edsall, (former Jags DB coach), true. but you can only coach a player to a certain point. I played corner in highschool, and was all-conference (too small for college), the one thing I had was speed and a "nose for the football".

I still disagree incredibly with the benching of Lowery in favor for Ty Law but I believe that is for another thread. He led the team in forced fumbles, and pass breakups. Those kind of decisions are what led me to agree with the firing of Mangini.

Tyvon Branch has stellar speed, but he lacks instincts to attack the ball, and he's not that great of a tackler, evident in several games, and in practice when he simply would jog after the play was past him. He lacks the drive to play to the whistle. Lowery plays after the whistle blows twice.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

You are a horrible person.

9. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Tyvon Branch is looking great at SS. His coverage ability has been very impressive this season. We know hes a great tackler( as witnesses on special teams) This year I think we find what a joke this thread was. Tyvon Branch is the way better player than Dwight"toast" lowery.

Jerry, if T. Branch and H. Eugene are leading the charge to start a t SS and FS then why arent people panicing? These are two guy with virtually no experiance as starters!
    11:00
    jerrymac: Tyvon Branch has been excellent in coverage so far. One of the more impressive players in camp. Eugene has been OK as well.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

so now this thread is a joke, because Branch was moved to SS because he can't play CB.

jets win.

[​IMG]

11. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

No Raiders just are so loaded at Cb N asomugha, chris Johnson ,and stanford routt. That Tyvon Branch has to play safety. Lowery starting just means the 29 pass defense again.

Just how loaded is raiders secondary N Asomugha and chris johnson SS Tyvon Branch( coverage ability been very impressive) And eventually Mike Mitchell(probably be next year or half way through this season. Righ now FS eugene hiriam and Ss tyvon Branch. Soon it wqill be FS Tyvon Branch and ss Mike Mitchell

Thats alot of speed, serious coverage ability and very good tacklers.

#191 Raiderjoe, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  12. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

The joke is over Jeaux. No one is capable of being this stupid. Not even someone with an extreme case of retardation. You're a phony and a troll. A bad one at that...

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

give up the fake persona.

I bet you and NJRaider are actually on the same intelligence level, which is a compliment to NJRaider, if you'd just stop the bullshit and be who you really are.

The fake tard persona is tiresome. You know what Lowery's position is on the depth chart.

#193 NDmick, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  14. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

So, what happened with drafting Mitchell? You know...that projected 7th rounder Safety in the 2nd round? A 2nd rounder can't even beat out Branch (CB turned S) and Eugene (who has been 'ok' in the position) as well?!? Hahaha...

15. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

The facts are Tyvon Branch is playing so well at SS(hes been excellent in coverage) that Raiders probably don't want to move him to FS. NO doubt that Mike Mitchell is the eventually SS( has probowl potential) and tyvon Branch the FS. Just now you probably don't want to start two inexperienced safeties together. Eugene Hiriam will be the FS and Tyvon Branch the SS to start the season. When Mitchell forces his way into lineup this year is anyone guess.

Rookie Mitchell enjoys hitting
    David White, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It took seven days of training camp, but the Raiders have resumed playing football as a contact sport.

Rookie safety Mike Mitchell made it official Tuesday with a violent pad popper on running back Gary Russell, who saw the hit coming and could do nothing but be glad all-out tackling isn't allowed in practice.

"He had nowhere to go; I had nowhere to go. That's what you dream of," Mitchell said. "He's going to be on his back and I'm going to be up yelling. That's how it usually ends."

It's just getting started for Mitchell, a big hitter with little name recognition before the Raiders made him a second-round draft pick in April.

He has been waiting ever since then to smack a ball carrier. After a slow start to padded workouts Monday, Mitchell got his first clear shot when Russell caught a screen pass on the right side.

Just as impressive, Mitchell excelled in pass coverage with two deflections at strong safety.

On one, he popped tight end Brandon Myers just as the ball arrived over the middle. On another play, Mitchell charged the line to play the run before dropping into coverage when tight end Zach Miller took off downfield.

For a player who missed all but one week of offseason workouts, Mitchell appears to have done his homework.

"He's making up for it and doing fine," coach Tom Cable said.

The hard part is not laying out any of his teammates. Mitchell knows they're on his side, but it's so tempting.

Save it for Aug. 13, when the Cowboys come to town for the preseason opener, Cable said.

"I'm still a little scared, because Coach always says don't take any shots on anybody," Mitchell said. "But I'm going to have to try to get loose out here because it's no fun when you can't play like yourself.

"I just wanted to get in there and get a little thud going."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/05/SP8A193QM0.DTL#ixzz0NXcjP2Bv

16. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

The biggest knock on Lowery is his speed. Coming out of college, many scouts said his best fit was in a cover 2 scheme where he could play a lot of zone.

That begs the question. Would the Jets be better off moving him to safety? Dwight has shown a good nose for the football. His lack of catchup speed would be less of an issue. On the other hand, he would be very small for the position at 5'11" and 198 pounds. It's possible he'll be a liability against the run.

This is the quesation after Lowery was toasted again in the first preseason game at Cb.

17. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

i've thought he should be moved to safety. he has the hands, but yes, his speed is an issue. i think he would be a serviceable nickel/dime CB however, and his value would be needed there.

18. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

I don't think hes ever going to mount to anything at CB unless its a zone defense. I too think he can become a pretty good safety and eventually starter with K rhodes.

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Nope. If he can't handle being a nickel CB, he'll never make it as a FS.
    FSs now are more like smaller LBs these days.
    How can KR and DL both start ?

20. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

One would be a Fs and the other would be SS. Thats how both start together. Im on the record JIm Leonhand 5'8 185 is not going to hold up at safety fulltime.