Thoughts on Madden 2010 Demo?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by PennyandtheJets, Jul 23, 2009.

1. JETSFANNYC

JETSFANNYC New Member

gamertag: rukaj82. send me friend requests.

madden, call of duty, ufc undisputed and many others. these are the ones i play online often though

2. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

you have to get on yourself. unless someone happened to have one they don't want to use. the codes can only be used once.

3. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

So I had the normal demo for a while and liked it, especially since I'm a Cowboys fan, but I pre-ordered with an expired debit card and cancelled today and got the full demo. A few things:

1. I don't know if it's because of the snow in the regular demo and I just started the full version a minute ago (more on that coming), but the field goals are impossible. There is very little power behind them. Maybe that's due to the snow, and if so that's amazing, but if not it's very lame. Happens on kickoffs too.

2. Speaking of kickoffs, I've always been pretty good at returns, but I find I've got a 50/50 shot at scoring on the kickoff at least, if not higher. I just ran back the opening kick of the full demo, which led me to post this. Anyone else scoring on kickoffs a lot or am I just exceptionally good at it?

3. I love the slower gameplay. It's so much more realistic.

4. I'm a big fan of the post snap animations. It's no longer necessary or easy to run back 35 yards to pass, so hopefully that very lame element will disappear from online play.

5. Also with passing, the QB avoidance moves don't work well, or else I'm just not doing it right. I'm flicking the stick when I feel the rumble and not avoiding anything. Is this a timing issue on my part, or does this feature just suck?

6. One of the cooler things I've seen is the CPU got flagged for unnecessary roughness for hitting me out of bounds. I've never seen that in Madden before that I remember.

That's all for now, I'll see if there's anything else about the full demo that I want to add.

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

1. Wow...now that you mentioned it, the kickoffs/FG's are shorter in the snow. That is flippin sweet. Nice catch on your part.

2. Depends on what skill level you are playing it on. When I played it on Pro I may have returned two to the house. Anything past that I have only gotten past midfield or so. I don't see how you could be scoring on kickoffs as you are describing on all-pro or all-madden. But if you are, yes you are real f'n good at returning.

3. Slower gameplay is sweet. I love running the ball.

4. Yeah, the pocket is really effective in this game. Makes pocket passers even better in this game IMO. If given time, Warner will kill you in this game.

5. Honestly, I haven't tried this feature yet. I am going to look into it more once I get the game as the manual will explain how to use it effectively.

6. I JUST saw this for the first time today and I have played the demo at least 15-20 times. I hit the ball carrier out of bounds and was flagged for it. Was pretty cool because this has been missing since the days of Madden on the 64. On the Nintendo 64 you could hit players late after every play. It was ridiculous.

I personally love this game. I was frustrated early on, but honestly it takes some getting used to and practice. I couldn't get the running game going at all early on, but now I am running the ball well against run defense with the slider at 12. (3 clicks short of all madden)

Can't wait to play franchise mode.

5. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

It's not quite when the rumble is. The rumble occurs when you're under pressure but not necessarily getting hit. It's pretty much right before you get hit. I've done it a few times one time to avoid a safety, it was pretty sweet. But it's better to just move around in the pocket to avoid the pressure than dodge it. I love the new pocket the o-line creates, it's much more realistic.

Does anybody else think the safety blitz is kinda ridiculous. I almost always get to the QB immediately and force a floater pass, especially on third down. Or is it just that Adrian Wilson and Polamalu are that good?

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

they fixed the playcalling for 360... i'm so happy.

7. ukilledkenny

would you believe some people are screaming for last years playcalling screen to come back? i guess some people enjoy shit.

8. devilonthetownhallroof

So after playing the full demo, it looks like the kicks were a result of the snow. That is fucking awesome. I also noticed recievers falling down in the snow, meaning weather will actually impact gameplay this year. I can't wait for this to come out.

Also, the kick returns have been on all-pro. I'll try all-Madden later and see.

9. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Played this demo last night. Wow am I impresses with it. The game is so much more realistic then it has ever been. I love the speed of the game, and the new animations to juke would-be tacklers, make catches, and gang tackling. The late hit feature is pretty sweet as well.

10. devilonthetownhallroof

Just played on All-Madden, lost 20-14. I didn't run any kicks back all the way, but was consistently at the 40-50 yard line. I think the slower speed plays to my return strategy or something. Either way I like it haha.

11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

You know what's amazing to me?
    That 2k Lovers were trying to tell Madden fan boys how good 2k was.
    Madden heads wanted NO PART of it.

Yet, this year Madden has put in tons of things that 2k had including Online franchise, gameplay style, Pocket presence etc... and now Madden fans are saying how incredible it is. Sooo Realistic.

Well, It took EA long enough.
    What, 5 Years of juicin' fans of $60 until they implemented these things?

I played the Demo and actually thought it was one of the best Maddens in years.
    Not perfect , actually not even close but better and big strides from last years.

That said, 2k presentations, crowd, sound, AI, sidelines are still better than Madden. But the fact that Madden is trying to make the actual gameplay better is worth mentioning.
    But still, 5 years.
    Damn.

12. ukilledkenny

2k was a great football game, but you 2k fan boys really need to let it go. most of us just want a good football game. i don't care who makes it.

13. Royal Tee

So do/did we. Which is why the License screwed the fans.
    5 years of fluff from EA to get to this point.

14. ukilledkenny

i agree, but this year is the first year of the new commitment to realistic football. the only football game i have played for the last few years is 2k8. i'm not sure that 10 can be called better than 2k8 yet but it is pretty close. 2k8 has some pretty annoying flaws in it too. the biggest one for me is that it is pretty much impossible to get a corner back to cover an out route when in zone. that pretty much means i need to use one or two of my star players on corners so i don't get destroyed playing man to man.

the last 5 years have pretty much been a waste for madden, but it's no use complaining about how stuff should have been years ago. the new team working on the game is putting everything that most of us have wanted in the game for years. the difference from last year is very apparent and IMO all for the better. madden is actually playable this year and requires some football knowledge to be successful. it isn't perfect but i don't think anyone can say the lack of competition hurt the game this year.

15. Royal Tee

Agree 100%.

I can guarantee though that there will be some Maddenheads who hate it because the "Fakeness" is being taken away and the "Realism" is being brought in.

For instance, in 2k it was almost impossible for a QB to throw while dropping back. The accuracy was difficult and the arm power dropped, and rightly so.

In Madden, you could hit a QB and while he's 2" from hitting the ground he can still launch an accurate 40 yd pass.

That was just so fake and 1 of the things they improved...
    ....but,
    it's still not perfect it's a huge improvement and one that while it's more realistic Maddenheads will probably hate it because they're used to the level of unrealistic BS.

16. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

So you like the new one they have had the last few years more? I am glad they went back to the classic one man, it feels more like Madden, and it's what we're used to. I wish they had never switched from this in the first place, and I bet they went back to this because ppl didn't like the change....it's not identical but it's nice for this to feel like the Madden that made me love Madden in the first place.

17. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

The best thing about reverting back to the classic playcall screen is that when playing local multiplayer, if ur not choosing from the playtype screen, ur opponent can't see if it was a pass or a run, which is much different compared to the previous several yrs, where the actual exact play could be seen.

(I understand that in the versions of the past several years you could hide or mask the actual play u pick by holding a button and picking a dummy play, but still, it was real annoying and complicated compared to the simple yet working play call screens from the classic maddens)

18. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I agree. I mean, if you are playign with someone beside you ont he couch, they can still see which one of three possible plays you are picking, but I think there is a way to mask that as well...I beliee you pick a play and hold the button them flip around to a few more screens.

The classic playcallign screen was always the best IMO, and never should haev been changed.

I think alot of Madden fans were against the change in the first place.

BTW, tackling animations look much much better now...

19. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

how were u able to get a code? a preorder or somethgin?

20. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

yep. preorder from gamestop.