ProFootball Weekly 2009 Preview... Jets dead last

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psycho 78

Psycho 78 New Member

That is all I heard last year.

The Dolphins are deeper this year.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I see 6-10 with a chance at 8-8 if the Steelers are sitting people week 17 and they pull off a win vs. the Jags.

LOSS at Atlanta Falcons
    LOSS vs. Indianapolis Colts
    LOSS at San Diego Chargers
    WIN vs. Buffalo Bills
    WIN vs. New York Jets
    LOSS vs. New Orleans Saints
    LOSS at New York Jets
    LOSS at New England Patriots
    WIN vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    WIN at Carolina Panthers
    WIN at Buffalo Bills
    LOSS vs. New England Patriots
    LOSS at Jacksonville Jaguars
    LOSS at Tennessee Titans
    WIN vs. Houston Texans
    LOSS vs. Pittsburgh Steelers

3. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Good post, fair points.

But this is the discrepancy:
    To me, this defines mediocrity. Other people seem to interpret this as being good.

4. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

He's a great motivator, No doubt - But, I think there's a severe limit to his upside - Are there coaches on his level of knowledge that can't motivate nearly as well? I'm sure... Are there worse? Sure?

I still think he severely lacks in Football Knowledge.... Players want to be inspired by the weekly game plan - Like BB's players, Like Rex's players. Herm's Rah rah speeches can only take you so far.. He's not going to floor Anyone with a game plan.

I have said this about Herm though - He'd be among the last coaches to have a team completely give up on him... He would never totally lose a team...

Surround Herm with superior coordinators and players and hand him some pom poms and he could cheer with the best of em... He's not going to outcoach many NFL level coaches though.

Safe to Say - I'm ALL IN on Rex Ryan. He comes from coaching pedigree - A guy who studied many years to be a coach - Not someone who fell into coaching cuz people liked him and he was in some promotion program.

5. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Funny Stuff.

#965 Jet Blue, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He wasn't arguing w/ me and my winning move is having the knowledge of the topic I am debating and backing that up w/ facts.

7. nyjunc

I think that is fair about Herm but the rah rah, motivator stuff sure can work. It worked better than the x's and o's of Mangini. rex seems to have a combo of the 2, hopefully it's the best of the 2 of them and then we might have a great one.

8. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Players admitted that Mangini seemed like a genius IN THE CLASSROOM but, had trouble bringing that to the field...

In my opinion, Mangini can learn, like BB did and better apply his knowledge and learn how to better motivate and deal with People....

There's no way for Herm to make up for the fact that guys like Mangini and Rex studied basically their whole lives to learn the game... I don't even think Herm was interested in learning - He knew that he could lean on coordinators and be the motivatior..

IMO we saw the best Herm can do while Mangini has a lot of room to grow

And yeah... Coaches get by doing that, delegating, motivating and hoping for the perfect storm.

That's not the type of coach I want...

In the long run, I think Mangini has a shot to be a real good head Coach - Herm would need to be the Trent Dilfer of coaches to win.

That's what Herm is...... The Trent Dilfer of Head Coaches.... Sure people can point to Dilfer and make up some reason why he should compare to Marino based on a statistical factor - But, in reality one guy was in way over his head and stepped in ####.

9. The Uniform Bomber

Ditto that.

One thing I don't understand is this view from the Rex detractors that each Ravens DC has failed as a HC, thus implying, the Defense made them (Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan) and therefore Rex is doomed.

While those guys haven't been successful, it doesn't mean that Rex will share the same fate. Like you said, he comes from a pedigree.

But also, after those coaches left the Ravens, the Ravens D was still dominant throughout this decade. And one of the constants in that Defense was Rex Ryan; he's been there the whole time, since 1999. So maybe that Ravens D is owed to him too, along with good players, and he'll wind up being more successful than the others who went onto HC positions.

10. The Uniform Bomber

And by 'facts', Junc means 'excuses'.

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Marvin Lewis did well for a while, didn't he? He's just not a parole officer, which he probably needed to be.

12. The Uniform Bomber

Yeah, they got to the Playoffs with a solid team that one year, where in the First or Second Round, Kimo Von Olhoffen shredded Palmer's knee. Aside from that, they've been a joke. I will say though, despite how mediocre/bad they've been, their D has shown signs of being tough.

13. nyjunc

I don't see much to disagree w/ what you wrote. For some reason people think that I think Herm was great, he wasn't. I have always mantained he was a good HC and he was, I think if things broke perfect for him he could be a championship coach but forn the most part he has a ceiling and is not a championship caliber coach. I think we got rid of Mangini too soon but I love what I have seen of rex. We'll see, like I said I think he's got a mixture of the 2 of our last 2 coaches in him and that could be a great thing.

Instead of being so worried about me and what I write why don't you just stick to the topic and try to back up your arguments?

The only season they were a joke was last year when they lost Palmer. They have been medicore but far from a joke, in his 5 years prior to 2008 the Bengals had records of 8-8, 8-8, 11-5, 8-8, 7-9.

14. The Uniform Bomber

^ I was implying all of the shit surrounding them too, e.g. discipline problems, Chad Johnson, etc.

15. Italian Seafood

Lewis is the only coach since Sam Wyche to get the Bengals to resemble an NFL team (on the field) for any length of time. Even Bruce Coslet struggled there. :grin:

16. nyjunc

Bruce had one decent year where he gave the bengals a glimmer of hope. he took over in '95 and they finished 7-2 to end the year at 8-8 and that gave them some hope.

17. The Uniform Bomber

If you're using the Junc Barometer, in which you're comparing that to the team's history, then yea.

But until teams start winning SBs based on their recent records vs the franchise's records throughout history... one 11-win season with an early Playoff exit, and 5 other seasons of .500/sub.500 ball - along with all of the player issues - isn't very successful.

18. nyjunc

You have to take into account where a franchise was when a coach takes over. How fair is it to compare Cincy to NE this decade? Everything isn't black and white.

19. Italian Seafood

Everyone can't win the Super Bowl every year, there are other measures of success. For years the Brown family never spent money on players, they were way under the cap and couldn't attract free agents at all. There's only so much a coach can do in that scenario, I never thought Coslet or any of those guys had a chance. I was amazed when Lewis got them turned around, everything is relative.

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I noted a couple examples. I did not compare players. You decided to compare the players. Until this morning, I did not compare any players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.