ProFootball Weekly 2009 Preview... Jets dead last

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

^ Wow. I cannot believe I just posted that. Never again. No internet argument is worth this much of my time.

2. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Once again the Buffalo Bills are extremely over-rated. Anything higher than dead last every single season is over-rating the Bills. The Jets, once again, will not finish below Buffalo.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

No, somebody else decided to compare the quarterbacks. All I did was note a couple examples.

If I were to compare the quarterbacks, I would say that Morrall and Testaverde were comparable. Ferragamo was not like them. Morrall was the league MVP in 1968. Testaverde was an MVP candidate in 1998 (I'm not sure where he finished in the voting, but I'm assuming it was in the top five). Morrall was 38 years old during the 1972 season. He was four seasons removed from his MVP season.
    Testaverde was 39 years old in 2003 when starting in replace of Pennington (he would later turn 40 that season). He was five seasons removed from an MVP-type season.

On the other hand, Ferragamo was 25 in 1979 and had never started an NFL game prior to that season.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The great Dave Wanstadt who's record was far better than Herms during the same period with Jay Fielder at the Helm posted 2 11 win seasons 1 10 win season and 1 9 win season and in 03 when the Dolphins went 10 and 6 Fieldler was injured and Brian Griese started 5 games. Wanstadt was such a brilliant HC with a 4 year record of 41 and 23 that he got his ass fired.

In 03 Herm went 6 and 10 with Vinny and Chad Wanstadt went 10 and 6 with Fieldler and Griese. Wanstadt got fired. Go figure.

#944 winstonbiggs, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That is what seperates me from most, you had better have your facts lined up and be able to prove what I post is incorrect. If there is any crack at all I'll attack it.

But we didn't go 2-8 aainst better teams and 8-0 against sub .500 teams plus we saw how difficult it was last year to beat sub-.500 teams, right? In 2001 we beat the SB Champion NE Patriots, the 11 win Miami Dolphins and the 10-6 oakland Raiders who were fighting for a 1st rd bye and most likely would have been in the title game had they gotten that bye. You also remember last year when our truly loaded team had the "great" Brett favre and we couldn't beat the awful Raiders in oakland, right? W/ the season on the line and w/ Oak battling for a 1st rd bye we went to Oak and won our first EVER game in Oakland as the NY Jets(first win in Oak since we were known as the Titans).

You brought up the examples in comparison to when herm was HC- who would I think you are comparing them to? Kyle mackey? come on.

Wannstedt did a good job his first few years but would you rather have more reg season wins or postseason apps? Wannstedt in 4+ years in Miami made 2 postseasons and won one playoff game. I'd rather have a lesser regs easonr ecord and make 3 postseasons and have 2 postseason wins including a road win and at least we were competitive in our playoff losses.

Fiedler was a GOOD QB, very underrated b/c he replaced a legend. In '03 they were 8-4 w/ 2 big games which they lost both of them then beat us and Buf(2 cellar dwellars) to finish the season and inflate the record even though they had no shot at making the playoffs but you keep touting reg season records over making postseasons. using that criteria I guess our '01 and '04 teams were as good as your 10-6 Giants in 2007, right?

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

We lost to Miami and New England in 02 when Vinny was the QB by a combined score of 10 to 77. We beat both of them with Chad QB. Thanks for pointing that out thanks Herm for starting Vinny thanks Junc for making my point about Herm.:rofl:

Mangini was fired for lossing to all of those shit teams even though he took us to the playoffs with a mediocre team 2 years before that. Favre was a great QB 20 years ago.

7. nyjunc

AGAIN, we had many injuries aearly in the year and we weren't the same team. We also lost 28-3 to jacksonville when Chad played 99% of the game and Jax would wind up going 6-10. We got HEALTHIER and better after that first month of the season.

8. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

"Hunger".. LOL Please.

The Jets problems last year were HORRIBLE coaching decisions by a coach who ran when he should have passed and passed when he should have ran - Putting the QB in situations he shouldn't have been and then getting him hurt to finish the year... As well as playing read and react defense against some very average offense INCLUDING MIAMI.

You don't have to tell anyone here about Chad - The fact is, you ATTACK Chad - You don't give him time to disect the defense... That's what Rex did to Chad last year and that's the TYPE of defense the Jets will play this year.

If the Jets didn't add one more player I'd say they would be a lot better this year just by playing agressive defense and having logical offensive game plans....

I think a lot of teams are going to attack the hell out of the Miami offense - And I think a good bet is that Chad won't last the year - He Usually doesn't... Lets see what Henne has.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep. The facts are that Chad has never started a full season in an odd year and he's never had a bad season in an even one. I'm hoping that the Jets fortunes change now that we're not tied to the Chad odd-year collapse syndrome.

None of the Fins fans will believe this at the moment, but then none of them believed us when we said he'd fold like a rag doll against the first pressure he faced in the playoffs either. This all kind of reminds me of the Jay Fiedler arguments we had when he arrived here. All the Fins fans said he'd be an issue if he was ever needed and they were right, because they'd actually watched him play for a bunch of years. Well, we've got the knowledge this time.

10. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

While I respect your opinion and my signature tells my opinions about Mr Part Timer Bradway...

I also think Herm Edwards is a Football Ass Clown.

I think he has little grasp of the game - He was never a student of the game - As a player he was even a bit of a free Spirit... Even a guy like Mangini can run rings around this guy when it comes to X's and O's... Heck, I'd honestly take Rich Kotite if it were a Written test.

It took a while but, after about a season and a half I realized Herm Babbled and talked in riddles and had ZERO explanation for what was going on because he really had NO CLUE...

People can have all their opinions but, as probably one of the old timers here who has seen and played his share of Football - That's my opinion and little could change that short of me interviewing Herm and talking football Mano y Mano...

I just don't think junc really gets the game either - he's a good stat geek and knows some things he reads about but, this is the kid that was picked last in gym class for sure.

11. nyjunc

Anyone reading our posts knows who understands the game and who doesn't and I think you are projecting onto me your problems growing being the one who was picked last and the one who couldn't compete. I still compete today and I compete w/ some damn good players.

By the way, if herm is clueless and Chad isn't a good QB how the hell did we win so much w/ the 2 of them? W/ all your knowledge of the game I hope you can enlighten someone who was picked last in gym class:rofl:

12. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I don't think Hackett was brought in for any specific player, certainly not Vinny and definitely not Chad. Coaches form alliances and cliques and figure out who they're going to bring with them usually before they even know what team is going to hire them. From there it's a matter of what coaches they can get when they have the chance, then they bring their own players in. Herm and Hackett knew each other from Kansas City, Herm was a first-time coach from the defensive side of the ball and wanted an experienced OC he could rely on, he wanted Hackett. I can just about guarantee you they didn't look at the Jets, see Chad there as a backup and select their staff around him, having never set foot on an NFL field.

#952 Italian Seafood, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

2002 doesn't go down the way it did if Herm's motivational skills weren't good. The Jets really were headed for 6-10 that year and a long slow slide into oblivion until Herm went bonkers with the "you play the game to win" stuff. I've seen Jet's clubhouses give up even with professional QB's leading them (Boomer and Ken O'Brien both saw teams fall apart on them) and somehow the disaster was staved off this time. Remember that Chad lost pretty badly in his first start - so it wasn't the kid coming in and picking up the team, somebody had to hold things together for the transition and that somebody was Herm.

I also saw Herm go into KC and take a 9-7 team and go 9-7 with them, making the playoffs with Damon Huard, yes THAT Damon Huard, QBing down the stretch as they squeaked in at the end. Yes, the Chiefs collapsed in 2007 and stayed prone thereafter, but with Trent Green going down in 2006 they had no business making the playoffs and they managed to do it anyway.

Is Herm a good coach? Nope. But there are a lot of people out there who are worse and will prove it as early as next season.

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Totally agree. Herm isn't an all-time genius and Pennington being on the field to manage the game and clock covered up a lot of his flaws for a while, but he certainly has his strong points. He entered the league as an undrafted free agent, played the game for a long time and worked his way up through the ranks. There are aspects of playing the game that he understands as well as any coach in the game could, others that he had no clue about. Pretty much shows up in his overall record if you look at it objectively.

15. nyjunc

That is about as fair as I have seen on this board.

16. Psycho 78

Psycho 78 New Member

You really went out on a limb with this post but I have to agree. The Jets won't finish below the Bills but just right above them.

The Dolphins and the Patriots will be battling it out for the division title. :)

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The Dolphins won't be battling for shit. They'll be lucky to go .500.

18. nyjunc

I think Buf finishes in 2nd behind NE.

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Thats Junc's winning move. When he cannot change your mind on something, he just wears you down with the same old shit untill you give up. Its like any argument with a woman, you may be right, you may be wrong, but you'll never win.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

For Division Runner-up maybe....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.