ProFootball Weekly 2009 Preview... Jets dead last

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Vinny got hurt on the first play against jax and he led us to 3 points.

2. nyjunc

I don't think that is why he sat him, I'm glad he did but I don't think that's why he sat him. he had a QB who led us to 11 wins and a guy who always looks great in training camp. Put vinny next to Chad and there isn't a coahc alive who would pick Chad.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Coming off the bench cold with no work since preseason he was 21 for 34 and had a pretty nice game considering it was his first game where he couldn't be replaced by Vinny. Imagine if instead of a QB comp with a 39 year old over the hill Vinny T if they gave him all the snaps in preseason and all the work during the week? Imagine if Herm had actually shown some confidence in him instead of benching him because he thought to much?

More excusses Junc.

Vinny was a statue since his achiles injury and his numbers declined badly in both 2000 and 01 even though we did have a 9 and 10 win season Vinny was mediocre at best both years. That's because we had great personal in spite of the declining numbers by the QB. If Herm had actually shown some confidence in Chad and let Hackett run the O with Chad we probably win 11 to 12 games in 02.

Are you actually arguing that Vinny at 39 had a great season which is why we won 10 games the year before? Not a fact Junc we were a bottom half of the NFL passing O with Vinny at that point.

#823 winstonbiggs, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  4. nyjunc

he led us to 3 points, 21 of 34 is meaningless.

I can imagine if they did that and there's no way we win the division in 2002.

I don't think he didn't start him to protect him but if he didn't we would have been in trouble. No QB would have made a difference in those 3 losses and a young QB could have had his confidence completely shattered.

5. winstonbiggs

Chad wasn't a rookie it was his third year and anyone who knows Chad and you would expect the HC to know him knows he wouldn't be shattered by a bad start.

Plenty of HOF QB were thrown into the fire and had their asses handed to them early on. This is just more excusses Junc.

6. nyjunc

It would have been 3 bad ones, our OL was beat up and terrible early on, Curtis was hurting, we were working in 6 new starters on D.

Now Chad's a HOF QB? You are holding him to a standard of a Brady type? is that fair?

The circumstances here would have been different as he sat for 2 years. Imagine he comes in and we get crushed those 3 games after sitting for 2 years? You don't think that would have affected his confidence? you don't think the fans and media would have been all over him? heck they were when he had success.

7. winstonbiggs

More hyperbole Junc. Where did I say Chad was a HOF QB? My point was QB's good ones get thrown into shit situations all the time usually in year 1 or 2. You don't hold back a good young QB in year 3 for a 39 year old QB who's numbers were declining unless you didn't believe in him. Herm didn't believe in Chad that was Herms problem. The funny thing is Chad carried Herm to an extension and a new contract with a new team before Herm got his ass fired for being found out.

Chad was a good QB before he got hurt and was drafted to start in year 2, to not start him in year 3 was a testamount to Herm's lack of guts, lack of confidence in Chad's ability or a lack of real insight into the team he was coaching. I think it was all 3.

8. nyjunc

I understand the point and had we thrown him in right away I think he'd have been fine but sitting for 2 years then starting and struggling I'm not sure he would have survived that stretch.

Herm made the postseason w/o Chad too you know and Chad was hurt his rookie year and when Herm took over it was his 3rd system in 3 years. That's alot on a 2nd year QB even one as smart as Chad.

9. winstonbiggs

Wasn't Hackett the OC in 2001? Chad was drafted in 2000. He had 1 OC in 2000 and Hackett in 01 and 02. He had a full year to sit under Herm and Hackett before taking over the O. It wasn't his third system in 3 years. It was his second system and he sat for a full year in it.

#829 winstonbiggs, Jul 3, 2009
  10. nyjunc

1999 in college
    2000 under Dan henning
    2001 under Hackett

That held him back from starting in 2001 then vinny led us to 11 wins and it made it even harder to make the switch to start 2002.

11. winstonbiggs

We won 10 games in 01 not 11 and Vinny was in serious decline in 01 and had one of his worst seasons in terms of Yards, TD and TD to INT's we ranked in the 20's in every passing catagory. We were a running team.

It looks like you screwed up your facts. Chad was under his second system going into year 3 in the pros had a full year to sit in his second system and the system was brought in for him. Again had he been named the starter during the off season he would have gotten all the reps in mini and preseason and the first team work in preseason. Herm screwed up and Mr. Facts also screwed up. Herm never had an 11 win season.

Surprising that you would make up facts to support your case.:rofl:

#831 winstonbiggs, Jul 3, 2009
  12. nyjunc

10-11, you know what I meant. We won double digit games for only the 2nd time since 1987.

We were a running team but it's still hard to win 10 games in this league and he was the leader of our O. WISELY under Herm we were a running team unlike the year before where we were a passing team and Vinny threw 25 INTs.

1999 counts as a year in a system so 1999, 2000 and 2001 he played in 3 different systems. Heading into '02 he had a full year in the system but again we had a QB who led us to 10 wins and a playoff berth.

You are ridiculous, it was a typo. obviously I know we won 10 in 2001. Nice way to deflect.

#832 nyjunc, Jul 3, 2009
  13. winstonbiggs

:lol:

You were implying that Chad was in his third system going into year 3 and that Vinny had a great year in 01. You know that's total BS. Vinny had a mediocre at best year and a 2nd year in a row in decline was 39 and the reason Hackett was brought in was for Chad not for Vinny who was the furthest thing from a WC QB you could find. You're simply defending a stupid argument with misdirection because you don't have the guts to admit you're wrong on this. It's cool Junc you win.:rofl:

#833 winstonbiggs, Jul 3, 2009
  14. nyjunc

I didn't imply anything. I said in 2001 he was on his 3rd system in 3 years.

from post 828:

15. nyjunc

winston you are boring me w/ this nonsense. if you want to have a serious discussion let's do it, if you are going to act like you are then let's move on.

16. winstonbiggs

:rofl::rofl::lol::rofl2:

17. nyjunc

man this board has gone downhill. We used to have great football posters- where have they gone?

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

What does that mean? You took "boo hoo hoo" as acting childish? C'mon, now.

The point was to not cry about injuries.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I made no mention of Testaverde's season in Dallas. It has no relevance here.

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Comparing the backup quarterbacks is not relevant. Why are you having such a difficult time with this?

Again, here is the issue-
    Team loses starting quarterback due to injury. Head coach is still able to win OR head coach struggles to keep the team competitive. That is it.

The strengths and weaknesses and overall ability of the injured starting quarterbacks and their backups, the head coach's stomach size, the uniform colors, the number of fans in the stands, weather conditions, Pluto's alignment with Neptune, etc., is of no relevance to the debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.