ProFootball Weekly 2009 Preview... Jets dead last

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I never flip flopped on Chad. Chad had a slightly below average arm and was an outstanding QB in Hackett's system. After he hurt his shoulder he couldn't keep defenses honest and when the Jets tried to install a down field attack as Herm wanted to and said very publicly after the 04 playoffs he killed Chad, Curtis and Feidler because the team wasn't built to go down field with Chad at that point.

If you don't recognize that Chad was a different QB post injury that's just your own blind silliness.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

But according to people like you Chad always melts against good Ds so what is different about 2008 compared to 2002?

3. winstonbiggs

I don't know about people like me? For me Chad had a shit game in Oakland in 02 but I thought he would bounce back from it especially since he played well at home and it was his first playoff game on the road on the WC.

After the 04 injury and seeing him in several playoff games it's clear that his body of work in the playoffs shows a sharp drop off from his regular season performance. His INT's have gone up, his QB rating has gone down dramatically.

You might be right it could be his mental makeup? I tend to believe it's the physical lack of zip to get the ball into tight spaces against good Defenses and he's a bit gun shy since he doesn't have the same confidence in his own arm that he did prior to the injuries. Good defenses tend to shrink the field if the QB lets them and Chad has let them in the playoffs.

#723 winstonbiggs, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  4. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

You do realize in the playoff the competition gets tougher, right? And Chad posted very friendly numbers in the playoffs for a QB. In other words Chad did enough in his playoff games in NY to win his post season games. There is a thing called defense, maybe you've heard of it. That's the part of the team where Chad isn't involved. They are supposed to keep the scoring down by the other teams...it helps with winning football games, especially in the post season.

5. That Guy

That Guy New Member

Not justified... None of these the divisional teams compete w/ us on paper when you combine offense and defense. The ratings... debatable, but they're in the ballpark.

6. winstonbiggs

Chad is 2 and 4 in the post season his TD % dropped from 4.2% to 3.7% his INT % increased from 2.6% to 3.7% and his QB rating dropped from over 90 to under 78. That is significant.

Take Rothlisberger who has had significant success in the playoffs. His TD ratio is higher his INT ratio is up a bit and his QB rating is about the same and his team has won big in the playoffs.

Nobody is arguing that the competition isn't better. That's exactly the point!

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

In his 4 playoff losses these are his numbers
    Code:
    Att	Comp	PCT	Yards	TD	INT
    90	158	0.56	917	3	8

That's an average of 229.25 yards, .75 TD and 2 INT's per game.

There's nothing "friendly" about those numbers.

8. nyjunc

Good post.

9. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Yeah do me a favor, post Big Bens numbers in the SB win against the Seattle Seahawks.....nevermind, I'll do it for you.

9/21 123 yards 2 INT's 0 TD's

I went back to all of Chads games and not one of Chads post season efforts were that horrible and none of his games were as important as Bens effort in that SB game. What was the final score of that SB? It was 21-10. The Steelers won that game as a team, not as a QB!

Hell Atwan Randall El had more TD passes in that game than Ben, but heres yet another Jet fan beating a drum on how every post season failure the Jets had with Pennington behind center...was all Penningtons fault.

Why is it possible for the Steelers to win "THE SUPERBOWL" with what I believe was the single most awful QB performance in the history of the SB, but when the Jets lose a plyoff game, it's only Chads fault?

I went back and pulled up Chads numbers,,,this is the second time I've done this because it's relevant that Jet fans see it's not the QB that kept the Jets from success in their playoff games.

2006 WC game VS Pats

23/40 300 yards 1 TD 0 INT's

Pats won the game 37 -16. Clearly Chad played well enough to AT LEAST not be the reason for the loss.

2004 WC game VS Chargers

Chad Pennington:

23/33 279 2 TD's and 0 INT's

The Jets win, numbers are basically the same as 2006, except the D didn't give up 37 points and what was the end result? A win...gee imagine that.

2004 divisional playoff VS the Steelers

Chad Pennington 21/33 182 yars 0 TD's 1 INT's

The final score was 20-17 Steelers, clearly a case that Chad was a direct result of the loss.

2002 WC VS the Colts

Chad Penninton:

19/25 222 yards 3 TD's 0 INT's

The Final score was 41-0 Clearly the Jet played a complete game. Offense and defense were both responsible for this win.

2002 Division playoff game VS the Raiders

Chad Pennington:

21/47 183 yards 1 TD 2 INT's

The Final score was 30 to 10 Raiders Chad was not great in this game, but he wasn't awful. The Jets D gave up 30 points and you could clearly make a case Chad played well enough not to be the reason for the loss.

As you can see, Chad never had an awful post season game like Big Ben did in the SB VS the Seahawks, yet Ben got a SB ring in that game. Does it count? Is the ring and the win his to keep? Yes it is, how is it possible that Ben can play awful and the Steelers still win? Becuase according to Jet fans it's only about the QB. Only Chad Pennington can win or lose games, there is no coahing or Defense to blame...Just Chad. Why doesn't that work in Pittsburgh?

10. winstonbiggs

Bad example pain. Rothlisberger had a terrible game but if you actually watched the game Rothlisberger made the game changing play right before the end of the first half when around mid field he rolled out left from pressure wasn't taken down by contact righted himself and threw the ball across his body giving the Steelers the ball at the 3 were they scored to take the lead right before halftime. That play changed the entire game. Rothlisberger while having a crappy stat game still was the bigest playmaker in the game and broke down Seattle's very good D to change the game.

Chad in the 2006 playoff game against the Pats shit the bed again looking into pressure threw a lateral on a WR screen which turned the game around for the Pats. A game the Jets were very much in before mister don't make a mistake crapped his pants.

#730 winstonbiggs, Jul 1, 2009
  11. nyjunc

W/o Ben Pitt doesn't get to the SB, he was great in their 3 game run in the AFC playoffs that year.

Chad didn't "shit the bed", that was a fluke play. 99 out of 100 times that play is incomplete, it was a total fluke that it was barely backward and thus became a fumble.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

Please stop taking into account what actually happened and look at the stat line sir.

13. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

So you're saying Big Ben gets a pass on a horrible SB performance because of 1 play? I find it amusing how Jet fans view the world. You people will make excuses for everyone and everything except Pennington.

I post Chads ACTUAL playoff numbers, show you the final scores and prove that Chad played well enough in 4 out of 5 playoff games to win those games and you still refuse to accept it. I't not like that was my opinion and I'm trying to convince you belive my opinion, it's actual cold hard fatcs and you still won't accept it. You'll make an exucse for a QB that posted the worst statictics in a SB in the history of the game at the same time not saying a word about the coaching or defense in that game. Instead you focus on one play, by the QB as the whole reason for the Steelers SB win. Amazing, truly amazing.

14. winstonbiggs

He was looking at the blitz the play wasn't going to work if he completes it. It was a terrible play. I agree it was a fluke that it went the other way but it was a bad play by Chad.

Ben played great up to the SB and while he clearly was freaked in the SB Ben is a different kind of QB. He is a big play QB and as bad as he was his play right before half was a total momentum turner.

15. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Exactly cause stat lines only matter when Chad is the QB and the end result is a loss. The defense isn't responsible for a damn thing. Like That playoff game against the Pats where Chad threw for over 300 yards but the Pats scored 37 points....all Chads fault!!

Pay no attaention to that awful defensive perfomance, cause Chad doesn't play defense therefore he can't be blamed for their effort. So naturally that aspect of the loss is irrelevant! ONLY FOCUS ON CHAD.......HE'S THE ONLY PERSON ON THE TEAM!!!!!!

16. winstonbiggs

The cold hard facts are in a body of work in the playoffs Chad is far worse than he is in his body of work in the regular season. Ben in his body of work is about the same.

Chad is not a playmaker, Chad is an outstanding game manager who's game is field position and not making mistakes. Ben is a playmaker who doesn't rely on playing it safe but relies on breaking teams D down with big plays in key moments.

There are no cold hard facts. When Chad was a Jet the facts were you would argue he wasn't that good. Now that he is a Dolphin you think he is a good playoff QB.

Chad is a great team mate, has great concept of what's going on and how to exploit it but he is limited and since his shoulder surgery more limited. If Chad doesn't have to be a big spot playmaker he is a good QB when he does he is well below average. Ben is simply a different animal.

17. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Yeah, he's a different QB because he has a couple of SB rings. Obvioulsy when Ben doesn't bring his A game or even his D game for that matter he has a good enough team around him to pick up the slack and carry the team to victories in the post season. Obviously Chad was never blessed to have that in NY.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

I posted stats because you said his playoff numbers are "friendly".

I still have never said chad or the qb is the only position on the field yet you continue to apply that position to me. Learn how to read and stop making things up.

You keep bringing up the Pitt game, Chad lead the offense to a whopping 6 points in that game and 2 very long FG attempts. The defense and special teams played excellent, contrary to your bullshit statements. Stop making things up.
    While it's a team game, it is still possible to look at individual performances. Individual performances contribute to the outcome of the games.

edit: I'm wrong - it was 3 points from the offense and two long attempts, one of which was setup by an INT by the defense. Chad was awful in that game if you actually watched it.

#738 WhiteShoeWillis, Jul 1, 2009
  19. winstonbiggs

Ben is going to the HOF arguing he isn't a great QB that is a huge reason the Steelers have two rings with him at QB just makes you look bad.

#739 winstonbiggs, Jul 1, 2009
  20. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Ya know who else wasn't a playmaker, but a game manager? Joe Montana. He didn't have a big arm, but was a brilliant game manager. Ya know what he had in common with Ben that he didn't have with Chad? He had a team and coaching staff around him. Both Ben and Joe were blessed with fram more talent and coaching around them than Chad ever had, or are you now going to tell me Chad had just as much talent around him in players and coaching as Montana and Roethlisberger?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.