ProFootball Weekly 2009 Preview... Jets dead last

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Numbers? You're right that they didn't use it as much as a base O but here's a staggering number for you: In the first 3 games they used it the WC scored a TD 26% of the time as opposed to 3% scored by the base O.

While they didn't use it as much, it certainly scored more points than their base O package. Sir, those are numbers you just cannot argue with.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He would argue 2+2=blue if you gave him a chance.

3. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Through late November it was a whole 1/3 of their TD production.

That's ridiculous. You are just shooting your mouth off with nothing to back your claims up. Some stats are misleading....these are not.

4. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Really? Miami nearly beat the Jets week 1 without the wildcat. Your trying as hard as you can to look at 10 0r 12 plays and base Miami's entire season on the wildcat. What about Miami's D? Did that play a roll at all in their success? After all Maimi lead the league in +/- with turnovers. Did that play a roll? Miami also was one of the least sacked teams in the NFL. Miami won because they were well coached, not because of the wildcat.

5. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Yeah I'm arguing with myself. It's everyone but Jet fans right?

6. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I want him to dispute the numbers. They certainly aren't in his favor.

And we all know 2+2=purple! haha

7. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Riiiight but those 10-12 plays scored a shitload of percentage points, so the mere fact that you're arguing is solid proof that you're a friggin idiot.

8. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Hey FTP, you could be saying things like "hey the WC had less of an impact later in the season" and that would be somewhat true if only in the sense that teams were now game planning for it. But, at the same time when they game plan for the WC it also opens up the down field game for the base O and buys some time in which the D has to read.

But no, you're sticking to the moronic angle of "hey they didn't use it enough for it to be a huge factor" and I'm sorry but the numbers clearly say FTP IS FULL OF SHIT. Do you hear it? I do. They're saying FTP IS FULL OF SHIT. It's getting louder too.

9. abyzmul

Everyone without a frontal lobe...

10. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

OK I'm going back to work.

Here's a tissue, clean yourself up.

11. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I think this is more like it........although I think the Jets will fare better than 8-8, I could easily see this if the running game is not as potent as it needs to be and/or if the D doesn't pan out to be as good as we think it is going to be. No way I see the fins better than 9-7, and I don't see the Pats 12-4 either, 10-6 maybe. I think those 12-4 days are gone.

The individual ratings seem hit or miss to me. Mangold and Faneca should both be rated higher I think, and some of the defensive players as well. I agree with the WR/QB questions, but don't get why they seem to think that the Jets oline is so-so.

Anyway, just my opinion so time will tell........

12. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I think everyone in the AFC east is gonna suck but the Pats

13. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

I don't have to provide any numbers, you can produce your own numbers. I provided the actual numbers per game. Miami played 14 games with the wildcat,. Usually teams avg between 45 and 55 offensive plays per game, Miami ran the wildcat roughly 6 times per game avg. Some games more some less, but 6 is an avg, therefore if you multiple 14 games by 6 plays you get 84plays. I said Miami ran the wildcat between 70 and 100 times in 08. I aslo said Maimi ran between 45 and 55 offensive plays per game, multiple that number x 14 and you get 630 to 770 offensive plays per year. I used 14 games because Miami ran the wildcat in 14 games.

Obviously Miami wasn't using the wildcat a whole lot and the further into the season they went with the wildcat the less success they had, yet they continued to win games even though they never had the success against any other team they had against the Pats. Teams figured out how to stop it by loadiung the box with a saftey and that was a problem because Maimi ran out of that formation 95% of the time. Miami only added a wrinkle or two with the pass occasionally. Miami got to the point where the wildacat was used as nothing more than a change of pace that made teams think, not because they were blowing teams away with the resultls.

If I remember correctly Chad Pennington threw for 19 TD's only one of those TD's was from the wildcat formation and that was to Patrick Cobbs against the Texans. So that would mean Chads other 18 TD's came from their regular formation.

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Since those possible explanations are not mutually exclusive, and certainly the wildcat was used - for argument's sake we will concede good coaching was as well - I wonder on what logical basis you can conclude over the course of the season that Miami's wins were attributable to good coaching and NOT the wildcat.

Answer = you cannot.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Only someone who doesn't understand football or who is pretending ignorance of how the game is really played could write a post like that.

Football is a game that among other things does not involve the D knowing what the O is going to do (cameras and cheating aside, of course, and speaking normally). Knowledge that an opponent is capable of running a play or type of play means that the D must be prepared to counter that. If alternatively the D knows the opponent does not have the personnel to run a type of play, or doesn't use it, the D can be less concerned about it, focusing their preparations and efforts elsewhere.

Fakes are of course a related phenomenon - the whole concept involves a feint to a type of play that the O has run before or is merely capable of threatening to run (this of course can be quite a general threat; that is not the discussion at hand), so that the D reacts while the O shifts to running a completely different play.

Compare these levels of complication to a team that runs only a couple of types of plays. Is not the D more likely to be prepared ore find it easier to prepare to defend against such a team?

The wildcat was something that teams were first not prepared to defend, then became something opponents had to learn how to defend, and then became something the D's had to prepare for along with other sets and plays. To pretend this was not a factor even in respect of plays that were not run as wildcat plays either exhibits an ignorance of, or intentionally ignores, the fundamentals of how the game is played.

16. abyzmul

Unfortunately, after all of the passionate debate in this thread, this post is probably going to be the most true.

17. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Who's pretending it was not a factor? I've already said on several occasions that the wildcat played a roll in Miami's success, it was just a small roll. Also, a big reason why the wildcat lost steam down the stretch is because Miami used it primarily as a running formation. The whole idea behind the wildcat is the otpion. The Dolphins were using Ronnine Brown in the shoitgun behind center and team knew Ronnie was not likely to throw the ball from the formation so they stacked the box and closed all the running lanes.

Miami drafted Pat White to expand the wildcat into a passing and running option formation. Pat White is far more of a threat to throw the ball than Ronnie Brown is and White can be just as effective running the ball as Ronnie something Chad Pennington couldn't do from the wildcat formation. Miami can now lineup and run the formation proerly, something they couldn't do last year. Pat White can also be a WR in the formation, one can run the end around or option to pass from the WO position. Basically White can do anything from the wildcat formation.

My whole argument about the wildcat and how it contributed to the Dolphins success last year was it wasn't why Miami won 11 games, it was simply a very small protion of that success.

18. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

More of a threat if you're in a golf cart........

19. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

All four teams have just about the same tough schedule. So you can't count that against the jets. Rex has to be an upgrade over Mangini.

Favre still played very well the first 11 games even though it was a new system for him. The offense must have been pretty solid for him to play that well. The last five games he played bad because of his shoulder. Hopefully there is no big dropoff with either Clemens or Sanchez.

Schotty should be better than he was last year.

The run game has been upgraded with Green. We lost Coles but he didn't play well last year so there should be no dropoff at the WR position. The OL should be better after one year under their belt.

The defense has definitely been upgraded . Rex is going to make a difference.

The only potential problem is depth. Last year we were very healthy. If there are injuries at a few key positions, then it could be a somewhat long season.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I hear what you are saying, but they're are way too many "should be's" and "hopefully's" with the offense to be undoubtedly sure that the 9th scoring offense is going to return to form with so many differences and questions at important positions, namely QB. And since the opposing defenses won't respect the passing game, the running game won't quite see the daylight it did with Favre and his arm.

The OL, if healthy will be fine. But the Jets were the only team out of 32 to have all 5 starters play every game and almost every snap. They may not repeat that.

The defense may be able to offset the offenses growing pains, but I hope we as a fanbase aren't expecting the Ravens defense to now wear green. Their defenses has HOFers on it. The Jets have one possible HOF in Revis, but he's in his 2nd year. We don't know if he continues his dominance for 10 years, and I worship the man - literally.

Depth saddens me, and is the only blemish on tanny's tenure as GM. he won't stockpile picks so that positions can be at least somewhat fortified.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.