Michael Crabtree chat on NFL.com

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Mambo9, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Jason Medina, San Antonio, TX 05:00 PM ET Even though you never ran the 40 at the combine/pro-day, you were still preparing for it prior to stopping for the foot injury. My question is..... What was the fastest time you recorded unofficially in th 40 during practice.
    Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech I haven't been timed because I was playing basketball in the offseason. I was never timed. I know I could beat 4.4 if I worked at it.

Why weren't you working out you moron?

http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/224?refresh=0

I really don't like how he sounds nor did I like the videos they made about him (the ones with Cushing and Stafford)... Maybe he'll be great but I don't think he has the head to excel right now (people grow up, I know...)

2. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Watching him in an interview makes me suicidal.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

2) WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech (Soph.-3)
    Crabtree may not have a laundry list of arrests, but his ego is abnormally large to the point where he repeatedly demeaned training staff, his work ethic has been described as “marginal at best,” and his intelligence and ability to handle success remain major question marks. One thorough evaluator compared Crabtree’s mental makeup to that of former LSU and Buccaneers 2004 15th overall pick Michael Clayton, who made a big splash in the NFL as a rookie before going on to average 31 catches, 378 yards and a half-TD catch each of the past four years as he lost focus, bought into the hype and stopped working at his craft the way young receivers must do to be great. Crabtree's competitiveness noticeably stands out on tape, and he did play through injury last season. However, when the Red Raiders were getting whipped by better competition (Oklahoma and Mississippi) during the final two games of the season, Crabtree did not finish either game. After he gets a taste of success in the pros, evaluators are not confident he will be able to handle the trappings of the pro game.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2009/wwhi040909.htm

The more I read about him the more I dislike him... seems like a prefect Raider though :p

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I still can't believe some people wanted this baby over Mark Sanchez:

ROTOWORLD

If Crab's on the verge of tears because his head coach is telling him to stay off of his foot - imagine what's going to happen if he makes a mistake in practice.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I kept saying leading up to the draft - he sounds scared in interviews.

It was beyond obvious. He's not a football player.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Lets' look at all the WR's drafted in rd 1.......

DHB
    Crabtree
    Maclin
    Harvin
    Nicks
    Britt

The top 4 receivers have alot of Red Flags and IMO, not NFL ready.

Hakeem Nicks may be the best of the bunch and don't forget Robiskie in Rd 2, although Mangini might find a way to screw up his progress.

#6 WW85, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  7. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Nicks, Robiskie, and Britt are definitely in the best situations to succeed early on.

If the Browns get solid quarterback play from Anderson or Quinn, Robo has a chance to put up pretty good numbers as a rookie.

I have a feeling that Percy Harvin will do well in Minnesota if he's used the right way. He'll never be a #1 receiver, but his speed on that turf will be very scary.

8. The GM

The GM New Member

Surprisingly, I think that of the rookie WRs, Crabtree and Robiskie will be the top performers from a WR standpoint. Harvin could be a playmaker in a Reggie Bush-esque role, but that isn't exactly being a WR.

Crabtree's strength in his game is his ability to get off press coverage, get the ball quickly, and use his strength and athleticism to get some yards. This is exactly what he'll be doing in San Francisco. The 49ers will be a run-first team that uses quick passes to try to keep the defense honest. Crabtree's biggest weakness in his game is his route running, but he'll have time to develop that since he won't be asked to run many routes that he didn't run in college his first year.

I would never have said Robiskie a few months ago, but the Cleveland staff loves him and the Browns don't have a #2 WR. He has shown up well in mini camps and it looks like Mangini is going to make him an opening day starter. He won't dazzle anyone, but he'll be a very solid performer who will get just enough open on his route to make the catch. I don't see him having any YAC ability really, but he'll rack up some yards anyway.

Pre-draft I thought Nicks was going to be the best rookie WR of the group, but no longer. This is not because he isn't a good WR and won't have a good career, but the Giants starting WR's will be Steve Smith and Domenik Hixon and it looks like Nicks will have to battle with the usually unimpressive but speedy Sinorice Moss for the slot WR job. Tom Coughlin isn't just going to hand the job to Nicks because he was a 1st round draft pick, and don't be surprised if he loses some playing time to Mario Manningham who is a talented WR himself. I think in a few years he'll be more of an impact WR, but he landed in a role where it is unlikely that he will contribute immediately.

Do you want to do a trade-off sig removal? I really have nothing against you, and at this point I don't see a reason why we'd have to continue "fighting".

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

You might want to find the other 4 to 5 posters that have some of your quotes as their sig.

Crab's ego will get in the way of his professional progression. The guy has marginal hands because his head isn't always in the game. At Tech, he ran a bunch of option routes...as a pro, he'll struggle to get open because of his lack of speed and his poor route running.

Crabtree is only 6'1. The combine destroyed the myth that he had elite height.

I don't think he will completely suck, but he's not going to be as good as most people think...not even close.

#9 Mr Electric, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  10. The GM

The GM New Member

Please do show me the other posters that fall into that category.

For a while I thought that Crabtree had a great chance of busting in the NFL, but what he will be asked to do in San Francisco will play to the strengths of his game. He is not overly speedy but he is good at getting off of press coverage, and even though the offense was predicated off of option routes at Texas Tech he is good at running slants and that will be his #1 route in his rookie season.

The 49ers are going to have a very similar offense to the Falcons' from last year. They are going to run the ball first and foremost, and 90% of their passing is going to be quick release plays so whoever the QB is (likely Shaun Hill) won't get buried into the ground. On a long route Crabtree will likely have trouble getting open as a rookie, but with these quick slant and in/out routes he will get just enough open to get the ball and then use his strength to get some extra yards. Crabtree is a great athlete, but he has some work to do to become a great WR. With that said, he can still be a productive rookie. His hands issues are identical to those Braylon Edwards -- when his head isn't in the game and he isn't completely zoned in, he has some drops issues; but that is something you can work on. I don't think he's going to be a Superstar WR, and I think he has a better chance of busting than going to the Hall of Fame, but he has some potential if he can translate his tremendous athletic ability to WR ability.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If you posted in the other forums, you'd see what people think of you. One of your Ziggy Hood lines is classic.

NFL defensive coordinators aren't stupid - they aren't going to let Crabtree run slant routes the entire game. NFL corners will be able to jam him at the line.

Also, you don't have to press the kid - he'll see a lot of zone as well. A lot of NFL linebackers will be able to cover him over the middle.

What you're saying compares to this: All Darrius Heyward-Bey is expected to do in Oakland is run deep, because speed is the strength of his game. You can't be a one trick pony in the NFL...neither Crab or DHB are complete receivers worthy of being top selections.

12. The GM

The GM New Member

I don't see where you get this "I am the man" air about yourself, but I'm not going to touch on it. I wonder if you have a day job, because the hubris you demonstrate here must certainly transcend into your actual life.

Let us not forget your infatuation with Bear Pascoe calling him the most well-rounded TE in his class, and yet he likely won't even get onto the field unless it's in a goal-line package as a blocker and that's if he is lucky.

My comments on Crabtree and your comment on DHB are entirely different. 49ers passing game is going to be a quick release game to keep the QB clean and to play to Crabtree's strengths, but the slant route and the quick in/outs aren't going to be the only things asked of him - they are just going to be the areas in his game where he will shine as a rookie.

Still haven't found myself in anyone else's sig. Then again maybe I should just believe you since you KNOW that you are always right.

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

1. I am the man.

2. Bear Pascoe is playing behind a 5th overall pick. Jimmy Raye wants to get something out of Vernon Davis...he's trying to prove he's not a complete bust. Also, Pascoe is already the Niners' #2 tight end, in an offense that will primarily run the football. You see, I am a Fresno alum, that's why I liked Pascoe so much...he's a very good player too. I also said that he would slide because of a poor 40 and past injuries, but at least he was drafted...unlike Lee Robinson.

3. Look for Harpua - he has one of your awesome quotes in his sig.

14. The GM

The GM New Member

We'll see who has the better career. Robinson will be a valuable contributor in Denver's new 3-4 defense.

That quote was in a response to you saying Ziggy Hood would go #19 to Tampa Bay which was absurd. He ended up as the last pick. And as everyone agreed, Jarron Gilbert in the 2nd would have been a better value for us than Hood in the 1st. Gilbert just happened to fall to the 3rd, and everyone was shocked.

Was it not you who said Gilbert could likely go in the 1st to the Chargers? Yeah, it was.

15. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

Davis is arguably the best blocking TE in the game.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...at one point Anthony Becht was considered one of the best blocking tight ends in the league.

Vernon Davis is arguably one of the biggest busts of all time. He was drafted sixth overall to be an electrifying receiving tight end and he's done almost nothing in the NFL.

Kyle Brady was a good blocker too. I hope Davis succeeds, but he's looking more and more like a workout warrior.

#16 Mr Electric, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Lee Robinson doesn't even have a guaranteed roster spot.

Ziggy Hood went in the first round, did he not?

You are the same guy that thinks Rashad Jennings is a first round talent. El terrible.

I still believe Jarron Gilbert will be a hell of a player. He's already slated to start next to Tommie Harris on the Bears' defensive line.

Stop trying to make yourself look good. No one cares...it's the middle of June.

18. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Jeremy Maclin will be the best of the bunch. he was my number 1 player i wanted. cant complain about robbing the browns for sanchez but i always said i had a feeling Maclin would fall and he did.

Maclin, Nicks, and Britt. i think have the highest chances of succeeding.

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Well, Me for one. Mainly because I like debate and dislike arrogance. Your post tend to fall on the latter more often then not.

#19 Harpua, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Maclin's in a good situation (experience, top tier quarterback in McNabb), but that pick didn't make much sense for Philly. DeSean Jackson is a similar player - the Eagles needed a more physical wideout like Britt or Nicks, but Maclin was better value at 18.

If Maclin pans out, the Eagles will have a very, very prolific offense.