Kellen Clemens starting to lose swagger

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, May 7, 2009.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Aw sweet, I didn't realize that. Here's to Clemens blowing the world apart and getting tendered at a 1 and a 3.

2. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Usually a person can't lose his swagger if he never had any

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Where do you see that he's an RFA at the end of the season?

4. ........

........ Trolls

Someone posted that a couple of weeks ago when I mentioned the franchise tag. I believe it was brothermoose.

EDIT: Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, now that I think about it, though. He's on a 4 year contract. Restricted free agency generally applies to players whose contracts terminate on their 3rd year of playing.

#44 ........, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  5. WhiteShoeWillis

I've seen it mentioned by a few people on here, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. Rotoworld has him listed as a regular FA in 2010. I'm just trying to figure out if there's any truth to the RFA thing.

6. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

7. WhiteShoeWillis

8. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

The Jets didn't invest what they did in Sanchez to not have him start from day 1. Look at the success Baltimore had last year throwing Flacco into the fire. Rex saw that first hand.

9. ........

........ Trolls

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

forget the money, at one point they'll be giving him a new contract again. Lets get to that point by preparing him before hand.

Flacco and Ryan don't happen every year. Rushing the kid can do more than bad. QB is a delicate position. It has to be done correctly. If he's hands down ready, then let's go. If there is any doubt in that CS meeting, shelf him until he is ready, whether it be 3 weeks or 12.

11. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

"Former Jets CB Ty Law is talking to the Patriots and Browns about the possibility of playing in 2009, according to close friend Darrelle Revis."

If Mangini hires Law than this will be the final nail on the coffin of his Genius reputation. You can't say that Law would look better in a different scheme because CLE wants to run the same scheme Law looked useless in last year. The only thing Law was good for was roughing up Moss at the line of scrimmage in one game. But CLE is in a different division, they don't need a player just for Moss.

12. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

I care. Jordan was one of my favorite people and then at the end it all started to look like he was just like all the other jerk athletes. I can still respect his playing career, but I can't consider him as a person to be anything better than the stranger sitting next to me on the bus. And maybe thats the right way to look at it, maybe thats how I should have viewed him all along. But if it wasn't for the things that happened at the end I would have seen him differently.

13. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

didn't danny ainge have something happen to him.. .maybe it's that

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I believe this is wrong. The old definition of an RFA was a player who had accrued 5 or more years of service. It's now 4 or more years. Unless Clemens missed some time in there somewhere he will have accrued 4 years of service as of the end of 2009 and his contract will be expired. That makes him a UFA not an RFA.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Ur a fool and you leave no doubt about it!!! You are a disgrace to all the Jets fans for making such comments (obviously sarcastic). U think Sanchez is the next Joey Harrington/David Carr where as u dont know shit about college. Mind you, I don't either, but I do know he was selected 5th overall and not an UDFA. There were far too many people that believed Sanchez to be franchise QB material so please keep you stupid idiotic comments to yourself!!!...please.

16. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

thank you. how can anyone think hes gonna be anything less than solid? the kid is pedigreed for this by his experience in a pro system and unlike the one USC "failure" (hes still unproven if you ask me and his main issue is maturity. move away from sorority row at asu and he might be great) lienart, hes got so much confidence and leadership ability. the guy is already organizing extra passing sessions and film sessions. i got high hopes for senor sanchez and dont expect to be too dissapointed.

17. hammernnails

hammernnails New Member

not for nothing ... and Clemens is not Kurt Warner .. but this same scene played out last year with Leinert ... and look where he is ... if there is a true open competition then I think there will a good chance Clemens wins the job!!

Not to say that his 1st loss will cost him his job but .. we all know the rookie QB drill... if you are a top 10 pick at QB there is too much $$ wrapped up to not start at some point in the season...

18. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

You are wrong. It is 3 years of service to qualify as a RFA.

Read up on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

That's my point: at the end of 2009 Kellen Clemens will have 4 years of service with the Jets - 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009. He will be a UFA. If he had only 3 years of service he would be an RFA.

The one thing I can't verify is which agreement will be in effect if the current CBA is no longer in effect as of the end of the 2009 season. If the owners opt out, as they have voted to do, and the CBA is no longer governing contracts at that point it is possible that the terms in play will then be those of the previous CBA. If that is the case then Clemens would indeed need 5 years of service completed in order to be a UFA.

Just realized I mangled my first post. What I meant to say was that it used to take 5 years of service to be a UFA and now only takes 4. Sorry about that. I believe Kellen Clemens is a UFA after 2009.

#59 Br4d, May 7, 2009
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  20. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

It doesn't have to be exactly 3 years of the service. It has to be more than 3 but less than five. See below:

"A RFA is any Veteran player with three or more accrued seasons, but less than five accrued seasons."

http://www.askthecommish.com/freeagency/

I see no reason to believe why Clemens will not be a RFA in 2010.