Draft analysis from nfldraftcountdown.com

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsUK, Apr 28, 2009.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I always like this site leading up to the draft.

Here is their take on the Jets first round choice:

"NEW YORK JETS: MARK SANCHEZ, QB, USC

Scouting Report
    - It?s still early but this is already the move of the draft. I can?t believe the Browns moved down 12 spots for a second round pick and three backups! By acquiring Mark Sanchez the Jets have taken their team and franchise to a whole new level. In terms of on-the-field impact I believe Sanchez is perfectly capable of managing a playoff caliber team right away in 2009 and in time he has the potential to be a franchise signal caller. Off the field Sanchez will be the toast of the town and his easygoing personality and charisma make him a perfect fit for the Big Apple. I bet they're already putting up billboards in New York with his face on it. Kudos to Mike Tannenbaum & the Jets !"

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the second sentence of the anaylsis. Cleveland moved down 12 spots for a 2nd rounder and 3 JAGs. This is why nobody should be complaining... The amount of potential reward for the amount of risk we took is undeniably lopsided. Kenyon Coleman? lmfao. Sure, take him Mandoofis.

And then you have the Ratliff bandwagoners using some logic like "We traded a potential franchise QB (Ratliff) for a guy who will probably amount to nothing"; when clearly the thought process applied was "we traded a guy who will probably amount to nothing (Ratliff) for a potential franchise QB."

Yeah, Abram Elam was a nice depth player......

rant over.

3. Skender51

Skender51 New Member

Can someone explain to me what a jag is

4. alngtheway

alngtheway Member

just another guy

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I think this guy takes it too far when he Sanchez is "perfectly capable of managing a playoff calibre team in 2009." Let's not get ahead of ourselves. As a Junior in college, the kid has 16 good games under him playing for a very talented team. I'm not about to crown this kid just yet and I'm not sure I want him under center in September even if he looks okay in TC. I'd feel more comfortable with Clemens starting, but that's my opinion right now and I guess we'll see what happens preseason.

As far as the other fluff about "the toast of the town" and a "perfect fit for the Big Apple," all of that stuff matters zilch to me. In fact, I don't want to hear about the "Broadway Mark" bullshit until he EARNS it. My advice to him would be to try to tone down these "toast of the town" expectations until he gets some wins under his belt, otherwise he'll just turn into "toast," period.

6. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

This is what I don't get, if you say anything good about Ratliff someone shows up to say he's never played in the regular season. Last time I checked Saviorchez hasn't played in the regular season either. I don't see why MS is hyped above KC and Ratliff, two players with better foot speed and arm strength.

7. Section 227. Row 5

The argument I'm hearing is that Sanchez has played in more "clutch games" than Clemens and therefore has as much experience or more than Clemens does. They're forgetting this kid is 22 years old and was surrounded with a hell of a lot of talent. Whipping teams like Washington State is probably something my Linden High School Tigers could come close to doing.

Clemens has been in our system a long time now and studied under two very good and experienced QBs. He's had some decent games in actual NFL-speed games and been 15' away from the action when he wasn't out there, so to equate Sanchez' "experience" as being the same as KC is pure foolishness.

8. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

i just hope if KC seizes the day, we don't end up with a Brees situation where we get nothing for him (because I'm crowning Sanchez, deal with it)

9. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

I too would like to see this kid get some bench time before he is thrown to the wolves but I have a suspiscion that he will be in from day one. Yes the guy looks class and I like the move but I have reservations about him being pushed too far too soon.
    As for all the Broadway stuff I like the values he has through his family. I think his blue collar father will keep his feet on the ground. Hollywood can wait although the attention will be suffocating. When my 15 year old daughter saw Sanchez on TV she exclaimed:
    "Wow, Dad, he is fit"!!!
    Guess that will be another Jersey I have to get her.

10. Sanchez has superior footwork,accuracy,appears to be a better leader and is likely to be a better decision maker. I'll take those attributes over arm strength and foot speed any day.

11. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

actually going into this season, we are very much in the same place as San Diego was after they got Rivers. KC and Brees were both second round picks, both teams drafted a "potential Franchise QB" in the early first, the new guy came in and was/is the talk of the town, and their old "potential Franchise QB" is already on the way out of town. Then the season starts.....

Obviously with San Diego, Brees played like a superstar that year in San Diego and they still let him walk after the year, because they wanted Rivers to play and justify the money they spent on him. No garuntees that Clemens does what Drew Brees did, but I wouldnt be surprised to see him under center on opening day where he could be much better than average this year.

12. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

wasnt Sanchez's footwork one of the major questions about him?

13. Tight

Tight Active Member

I wonder why out of all the teams he whooped you mention lowly washington state, had you mentioned how he whooped penn state itd be a different story.. lets be real here ..

14. Section 227. Row 5

Okay, granted, Penn State is a different story, but my main point is expectations are getting way too high on Sanchez starting. Camp hasn't even begun yet and already the kid is under center on opening day in some peoples' minds. Just because Flacco was able to pull it off doesn't mean Sanchez can.

On the positive side, it's nice to be able to have this dilemma for a change. Our soap opera-like QB controversy has played out longer than "Days Of Our Lives" and its nice to know we might finally be coming to the end of that, i.e., wondering who our starting QB will be every year.

15. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Didn't SD at least get a good compensation pick?

Hard to get "nothing"..... Most of the time it's the best possible case scario going to have 2 NFL QB's... Maybe you get a team to overpay.

16. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

Don't feel bad, I had to google search to find out what STFU meant.

17. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

Nope, I'm pretty certain he left as a Free Agent

18. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I'd imagine losing a starting QB would almost guarantee you a 3rd round comp pick unless you were stupid enough to sign a bunch of top end FAs that same year. You'd need to plan for it.

19. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

gtfo!

:) :) :)

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

San Diego got the 96th overall pick in the 2007 draft, the highest comp. pick that year, which they used to select Anthony Waters.