Opening Day Starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bigoljetairliner28, Apr 25, 2009.

?

Opening Day Starter?

1. Clemens

94 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. Sanchez

122 vote(s)
    56.0%
  3. Other

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I'm actually starting to think this also. Maybe I'm reading to much into it but something about his response seemed to imply, barring Sanchez completely bombing in TC, he will be the starter.

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Eh it wasn't exactly their plan, they had planned for Rivers to start right away, his holdout is what saved Drew Brees' career and ironically worked in SD's favor

3. JetsFanInVB

JetsFanInVB New Member

Sanchez is coming into a dream scenario... good OL, good running game, good D.

He practiced daily against practically an all-star team in USC's D.

USC plays the most pro style of any college team.

His new HC just spent the previous year watching a rookie QB lead his team to the AFC champ game.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he starts day one and does just as well as Flacco.

4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

You don't trade up to #5 giving away what we did without the notion that the guy will start. He has a lot to accomplish between now and Sept.: Playbook, mechanics, instinctively knowing where the open man will be, not staring down receivers, making good decisions, etc. Clemens will fight hard, but if Sanchez looks good enough, I think he will be the starter.

I do expect very simplified, ball-control, Hackettesque type of game plans for the first couple of games this year.

5. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Normally I would say let him sit. But right now, this may be the right time to start him. We have a good O-Line and running game to support him, a couple of young receivers he can grow with and more than likely, KC wont be here next year. As long as he does well in camp and shows hes making strides before the season, why waste a year? During the interview with Rex it sounds like he will be given that chance.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Clemens....let the kid learn for christs' sakes.

7. ........

........ Trolls

NE won with a rookie? Huh? When was this?

Pitt and Baltimore also had QBs who started multiple seasons in college. The numbers are MUCH different for QBs in that situation as far as NFL success.

Clemens should be the starter day one. Apparently, there are a lot of posters here who want to significantly diminish the chances of success for Sanchez. Junior QBs have one of the worst track records in the 1st round of the NFL draft because teams try to rush them into the starting position. Sanchez needs to learn at the NFL level before he's given the starting job. I don't know about you guys, but I'd like to have him as my franchise QB for the next decade plus.

#47 ........, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

My initial preference would be to let the kid learn for a year on the bench. There are some factors that need to be considered though.

1) Clemens' contract expires after this season making him a FA. I would prefer that they give him a one year extension in case he does well so they can get something for him in a trade. We need to acquire some picks to make up for our lack of depth on both sides of the line.

2) Schottenheimer may be gone soon for a head coaching opportunity. I'm not sure how useful it would be for Sanchez to play a year in a system and have to learn a new one the following year. Experience would be good regardless, but not as helpful in a different system.

If Sanchez outplays Clemens in camp then by all means he should start. I'd hate to see them force Sanchez over Clemens though if that weren't the case.

Give Clemens a 1 year extension and hope he has a good year as the Jets starter.

9. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You say poor track record but how many of those situations were with a poor offensive line/bad running game/terrible defense where the kid is basically made out to be the savior with nothing around him.

That is NOT what Sanchez would face if he starts right away. The Mannings said it earlier and history has shown it, it doesn't matter how long you are on the bench for, until you step into a true game that is when you can truly adjust to the speed of the game.

10. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Sanchez without a doubt. This guy is starting and he's winning games.

Unlike the 2nd game of the season last year, we will beat the pats in our home opener.

11. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Agreed. And if you look at footage of Sanchez, he's not out there lofting balls, hoping his receivers adjust. That kid can wing it from the pocket, on the run, check down....he's got the skills. From what I've read, he's pretty familiar with the scaled back playbook they've given him, aside from terminology, so about the only thing that he needs to adjust to is the complexity of the D he's facing, and the speed. Both are daunting, but if it's an "all-weather" O, that would imply run heavy, with some 2 TE sets. Our O line should be more than ample to keep him safe.

Kellen is no better from what we've seen to date. Maybe this past year he's magically turned into an NFL QB, but I doubt it. So if either guy is going to be sketchy, let the future take the field and let the past die.

And really, what will he learn from watching Kellen learn? I say if it's even close, start Sanchez.

12. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

if we moved up all the way to the 5th pick and this guy supposedly has all the crudentials and skills to start in the nfl, he better start!...the worst thing that could happen is throw kellen clemens in as a starter and lose the first few games, then throw sanchez in and hope he can revive our season..fact is, clemens showed me no potential...despite the fact sanchez had only 16 starts in college, i feel he should start regardless to give us a better chance to win, and at the same time he will be able to gain experience.

sanchez should be the guy..

13. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Clemens

Sanchez isn't going to be ready.

14. ........

........ Trolls

Admittedly, most of the junior QBs entered into the poor situation. The last one I can think of who went into a good situation was Rex Grossman. I'd simply hate to bring him in too quickly and shake his confidence while he's learning. Give him reps with the first team in practice, bring him up to speed there, and then start giving him in game looks. What's the harm in waiting? If Clemens struggles, in comes Sanchez. If Clemens succeeds, we likely franchise and trade him next offseason.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Can you franchise somebody not under contract? He becomes a FA after '09. So they either extend him now which is highly unlikely or start Sanchez now. (Which is likely). It does the Jets absolutely no good to start a QB who will be gone at the end of the year...none.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Haha...way to earn your tag, Don. The franchise tag is used for someone who becomes a UFA. You can't franchise somebody who ISN'T becoming a free agent. Good job.

No good? You give your new franchise QB a chance to win, and you possibly let Clemens play himself into position to take the franchise tag and a trade to a team for a mid to high-round draft pick. How can you not see any possibility for a positive?

17. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

The Jets are not paying Sanchez big bucks to sit his butt on the bench in favor of Clemens or someone else they bring in to replace Clemens. Unless Clemens has a flawless pre-season, which he won't, Sanchez will be the starting QB. It is his job to lose.

18. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

While you bring up Grossman (although he went to the SB the 1st year he got to start with a 13-3 record), look at how Orton started went 10-5 in a similar situation. Now if Clemens shows to be better than Sanchez in camp I'd have no problem with starting Clemens, but if Sanchez beat him out or is very close than I don't see the point in waiting.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That's why I asked, isn't it? Actually, it doesn't matter...they certainly won't franchise Clemens and pay him 16 million dollars anyway..which means they won't play him either...I think you just earned the tag for yourself.

20. ........

........ Trolls

If he beats him out and has completely mastered the offense by the time training camp ends and looks good in preseason action, he'll likely get the start. I suppose I just don't see that happening. What's dangerous is the attitude that we're seeing from posters who feel that he HAS to start. All of these people who feel that his draft position means he MUST start and MUST succeed immediately. We're not the most forgiving bunch. I shudder to think what happens if he comes in immediately and struggles as most rookie QBs do.

Also, Orton was a senior coming out of Purdue.