Am I the only one who thinks this has been a TERRIBLE draft....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tanknyc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Sucks to be you man. I was only able to watch 1 hour, the first. I listened to a lot of coverage on XM.

Jets had a hell of a draft. A possible future face of a new franchise and a big ass back.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I can't say this any better than you just did.

3. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

ok i am hoping that some of you dirty sanchez homers have cooled down a little and now realize we drafted a total of 3 count em 3 fucking guys this year. that is NOT how you build a team. that is how you ruin a team.

this was possibly the worst draft i have ever seen. meanwhile the fuckin patsies picked 7 players in the first four rounds. and 12 overall. that is how you build and keep a top notch team. you dont have to have all 12 of those guys work out. you know they all wont but with 7 guys in the top 4 rounds you KNOW that a couple of them will end up working out.

meanwhile if the jets have 1 guy not work out this will be a complete and total waste of a year. shonn green i hope you become an all pro because otherwise we are going to be in big big trouble.

4. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I like your optimism, but you couldn't be more misguided. As the last four games last season, Cotchery is not a number one receiver. Clowney hasn't proved he can stay on he field, much less play and IMO Brad Smith is still years away from being a serviceable football player.

By the way Ken OBrien was a good QB, Blair Thomas was a mistake.

When is FO gonna learn that this team is woefully slow at the skilled positions.

5. afternoondelight

im not happy with our draft for a lot of the reasons already stated. i hate when people say " we have a face of the franchise" because who gives a shit. its just to sell jerseys. if we had a great team, people will buy jerseys. i feel like they handicapped the future a little. we traded away our starting DE and have no real replacement. we added another unproven qb in our mix. we have no # 1 wr. we have no blocking te.

staying put in all of the rounds i think would have been a far more succesful draft.
    i would love to have a fo that has the balls to pick whats needed instead of the attractive pick (sanchez)

however much i hated sanchez.....he is a jet so i hope he does well.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The draft was good. Who cares if they got 3 or 10? That just means 6 or 7 less to cut after a year or two. People around here always lose track of the FAs that were signed. Add them to those drafted before making any conclusions. Then name another team who had as successful an off-season.

7. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Hell, add on getting a decent coaching staff with Rex Ryan. Or getting rid of dead weight like Barrett. I am very happy with the offseason as a whole and I'm looking forward to the season starting.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is an ignorant post. We've been lacking a power runner for a few years, and if you didn't realize that, then I don't know what games you are watching.

9. ........

........ Trolls

While I have no complaints about this year's draft, discostu is right that we do have a problem given the fact that we've traded away picks 3 years in a row now. I always like the players we pick up, but we really need to spend a year like the Pats had this year, moving back and stockpiling talent to provide depth for our starters.

10. Br4d

You can't do this in one year. It's not like drafting 3, 4 or 5 players in a draft and then suddenly drafting 8 or 9 the next year is going to make up the difference. You're hit or miss on everybody you draft, so the only way to keep up with the odds is to use your picks wisely every year and try to come away with as many NFL players as possible.

The Jets have been one of the luckiest teams in the NFL with injuries over the last 3 years. We're overdue for a 2003 or 2005 wipeout.

11. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I'll explain it. I usually disagree with trading up EXCEPT for a QB. QB is the most important position on the field and we need one. Our greatest need in fact. We addressed it with what many believe is the best QB in the draft. Stafford may have had more exp, but Sanchez was in a pro-style system for 3 years although he only played his last year. What that tells me is that he understood the system was able to apply talents immediately. Hopefully it will be the same for the Jets.

AFA the second round. Again, I don't like trading up for ESPECIALLY for RBs. I think you can get them anytime in rounds 2-5. I would have preferred not to trade up. HOWEVER, I love the message the Jets are sending to players who try to play hardball. They are showing they learned their lesson from Pete Kendall. They did the same thing to Baker last year. Jones is now irrelevant. Now Jones is backed into a corner and now he has to play for his job. We have complete leverage now. He has to behave because we don't need him anymore. I really like this tact. I think this message will make players think twice before playing hardball in their contract with Jets. Would I have liked a WR? Sure. But I am not sure there was anything better in the 2nd round than what we have on the squad. Our WRs are decent and hopefully one will step up. Remember our receiving threat is not just Cotch. It is Cotch and Keller.

I like OL depth, so I like the 6th pick. Absolutely no better WR than what we have in the 6th.

12. Br4d

So if Jones is cut like Kendall was we'll be better off, and getting Greene to potentially promote that result at the cost of two extra draft picks was worth it?

This game is about winning on the field not winning contract battles in the offseason. The jets completely missed that fact in 2007 and we paid the price for their lack of vision. Now it looks like they've gone back for a double dip.

This team, BTW, would be MUCH better off right now with Chris Baker on the roster.

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Why would Jones be cut? We probably can get back a pick for him that we gave up for Greene and in a deeper draft to boot.

Kendall wasn't cut we got a mid round pick for him.

#193 winstonbiggs, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  14. ........

........ Trolls

Well, the Pats are doomed, then. Most of their draft picks from the last few years are nowhere near the roster. We've retained just as many players as they have in recent years from our draft picks. Here I thought they did well to replenish this season, but apparently they're headed for an inevitable wipeout as well.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

My point exactly.

16. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

The same games where I have been yelling for Mangini to sweep Jones to the outside, rather than run up the middle on 1st and goal from the 2?

17. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

So after a few years of drafting this way, we have 2 starting DEs in their thirties with no talented depth, only one experienced starter at wideout with a couple mid-to-low round draftees competing for the other job, and only a single tight end on the roster, who has very low blocking ability. We get all the players our owner and front office types have crushes on, but the result is starting to become clear. The lack of depth and youth at a number of positions is downright scary.

Amen, DiscoStu! Amen!

18. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Kendall was traded, not cut.

Given Jones' age and contract, I doubt he will be on the roster after this season. They will probably try to trade him, if not he will be released. And since they drafted Greene, the FO now has leverage.

Baker was a malcontent. An average player that bitched about his contract every 2 years. IMO, he became a distraction.

As for this draft, from all I read this was the weakest draft in a decade. Next year is projected to be the strongest in a decade. I would much rather come away with a few targeted players (QB specifically) in a weak draft. Next year we should trade down and draft for volume, given the quality of the draft.

You also have to take into account that we signed quality players in free agency, more so than most teams. Traded for Lito Sheppard. And we came out of the draft with a potential franchise QB, an issue teams like the Giants, Pats, or Steelers did not have to deal with.

Taken as a whole, I can't see how anyone can complain about this offseason. Especially considering we upgraded the CS as well.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This draft will be very easy to evaluate in a few years. If Sanchez becomes the QB that he is capable of becoming this is an A+ draft and probably the best draft of the last 20 years.

If he doesn't work it then it is an F. It is that simple, Sanchez makes or breaks this draft.

20. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I wonder if the Tanny/Rex brain trust ever thought of packaging Thomas Jones to Arizona for picks before they drafted a running back They are a win now team and prob would have given us some great picks and we could have saved our own and got a power back, De and Wr! Once again we draft as if we are the Steelers or Pats and have the luxury of going after one guy