Am I the only one who thinks this has been a TERRIBLE draft....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tanknyc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

First, they trade up to draft a QB with ONE YEAR EXPERIENCE to be our franchise QB. I have no issue with the price the Jets paid to trade up to #5, but to put our future in the hands of someone with that little experience is preposterous. People seem to forget that Matt Cassell is the exception and not the norm. This is a tremendous risk, and that pick could have been used in a more guaranteed way to address another team need.

I agree with you 100% on this.

2. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

You mean, the Jets are doing things the way Rex wants to? That's fuckin terrible

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

By the way, anyone who thinks this is a weak draft should take a long hard look at what the Bears managed to do without any picks in day one:

Jarron Gilbert DE 6'6 280 San Jose St.

Analysis: The Bears got very good value in Gilbert. He is an explosive interior lineman who has the ability to fire off the snap and penetrate inside. He is an ideal fit in the Bears' one-gap scheme.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: (from Seattle)
    Round 3
    35 (99) Juaquin Iglesias (video) WR 6'0 204 Oklahoma

Analysis: A great value for the Bears here. Iglesias is a very smooth and coordinated receiver who gets out of his breaks cleanly and separates well underneath. A polished prospect who should contribute right away.

Round 4
    5 (105) Henry Melton DE 6'4 269 Texas
    Analysis: The Bears needed to add more pass rushers to their defensive line and got another good one in Melton. He was overshadowed by DE Brian Orakpo at Texas, but has a great first step and could develop into a very productive pass rusher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: (from Seattle)
    Round 4
    19 (119) D.J. Moore (video) CB 5'10 182 Vanderbilt

Analysis: A great value here for the Bears as they get an undersized corner who closes as well as any defensive back in the draft. Moore fell due to concerns about his speed, but he is an ideal fit in the Chicago Cover 2 scheme.

Round 5
    4 (140) Johnny Knox WR 6'0 185 Abilene Christian
    Note: (from Denver via Seattle)
    Round 5
    18 (154) Marcus Freeman (video) LB 6'1 239 Ohio St.
    Round 6
    17 (190) Al Afalava S 5'11 215 Oregon St.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Honestly I think this draft was heavily influenced by Woody and Tanny. But even if it wasn't...

Is Rex a world class HC? Is he an offensive genious? Is Shotty for that matter...or Tanny? If Rex wanted to make me happy he would have stocked up on young defenders and started building our defense of the future. Thats what he is good at and thats why he should be here.

5. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I don't see Sanchez as a surefire starter. Not at all. Hes young, inexperienced and doesn't know the offense. Green? Maybe.

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Cassell,Flacco,Ryan...25% of the QB's that won 10 mor more games last year were first year starters.

If Sanchez beats out Clemens, he'll be starting on a team that was as good as any of them (with the possible exception of NE) prior to said QB's arrivals.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Just listening to Sanchez speak we already know he will not be a Ryan Leaf. At worst he is a Matt Hasselback type QB, at best he is a Peyton Manning type QB.

Stockpiling picks is somewhat overrated, NE has been stockpiling picks every year yet they haven't drafted all that well over the last few years.

I'm not all that crazy about Miami's draft, they picked a lot of boom or bust type players early and then some underachieving reaches late. The potential is there for this to be a good draft for them, we'll see if it works out for them.

8. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Where were you during the offseason...?

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

On ESPN Mort just said that the Jets had been in contact with Plax.

10. The Franchise

The Franchise New Member

We had nothing close to a bad draft. So what if we only had 3 picks. Thomas Jones might be a good RB for maybe 2 more years. Greene is our future RB barring trade or drafting someone. He was a great RB for Iowa. I dont know why people are arguing over him.

Sanchez is our Franchise QB starting maybe by mid season. He will be the leader the Jets have been needing for years. Accuracy, strong arm, leadership, and a great attitude will definitly lead to success. He had the pressure of playing in USC which is almost like the 33rd NFL team. Sanchez will be great in NY. He has a prime target in cotchery who will become a great reciever this year. The Jets didn't draft a reciever, but David Clowney has shown signs of being good, theres Brad Smith who could really prove himself instead of being a trickery guy.

With the Sanchez deal, it really doesnt affect them at all. With dealing Ratliff, he only played good in four meaningless games in the preaseason. Plus, we have Sanchez, Clemens, and Ainge now...plenty of QB depth we need. Elam did play well, but he was expandable since they picked up Jim Leonard who excelled under Rex Ryan in Baltimore. Coleman was a Mangini type of player. They had no use for him with Vernon Gholston possibly to take over there.

The Jets had a very good draft. you guys are crazy for maybw thinking it was bad because we only picked 3 guys or that the players havent proved themselves enough. That's the whole point of developing players and why theres so many coaches on every team's staff.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Sanchez is at worst Matt Hassleback? Damn that is optimistic. Its almost like you dont beleive there is any chance the guy wont succeed.

12. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

To answer the thread question, I agree. Sanchez is our supposed "franchise" quarterback,and Greene adds quality depth to the RB ranks. But they did not address the need for a number one WR. They needed a CB to put out there with Revis. They could have gotten another OLB. I admire the fact that Tannenbaum for being active on draft day. But he gives away too much. Three picks for the right to draft Greene? What a joke. I understand that this draft lacked depth beyond the first two rounds...but that's no excuse not to get a quality WR. The guy that I think they could have gotten was Johnny Knox of Abiliene Christian. From what I read, he was everything this team needed. I'm so not looking forward to seeing Brad Smith. Look forward to this..Sanchez on his ass because his receivers couldn't separate.

13. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the Patriots have been -- and will continue to be -- 95% a function of having one of the greatest QBs of all time. Whether they drafted Brady by design or by chance, doesn't really matter. They have him, and he's won them three Super Bowls. Three Super Bowls that Bledsoe would never have won.

This draft is simple: if Sanchez is a franchise quarterback who plays at some level rivaling Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, then they could have come out of the draft with him alone and it would have been the most successful draft they've had in 44 years. If he is not that player, then having six other servicable but far from game changing players will be relatively meaningless.

14. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Cassell had experience with the system and it is an exceptional system in New England. We'll see how well he plays elsewhere. Flacco played well, but the Ravens were unable to beat the better teams. Ryan certainly is a good example. I hope that you're right and I'm wrong. I'm just afraid that I'm not.

15. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

So you'd be happy with Freeman competing with KC and Ratliff...But getting the guy who a lot of talking heads are saying could be the best QB in the draft, and who wants to be here isn't so swift? Who do you think could have had the bigger impact, Freeman and a WR to be named later or Sanchez?

I just think it's far easier to find a guy to catch the ball than it is to find the guy to throw it...If you think the Jets should have taken Freeman at 17, then I think you're saying that the QB position was unstable as of Friday...As of 5pm Sat our QBs stability seems a whole lot clearer...

Freeman could end up being awesome, but aside from him being a beast physically the only thing I've seen or heard him do is point his fingers at the guys he played with at K-State and say "Id have better numbers than Stafford and Sanchez if I had better guys than the ones I'm playing with". That isn't the kind of thing that inspires people to follow you, and shows zero class.

16. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I would like to no what guaranteed way?

I have seen us not fill holes with sure fire picks like Lam Jones, Vernon Gholston, Dwayne Robertson the list is to long to get into.

Outside of maybe Curry there isn't a guaranteed low risk pick on the board and he isn't guaranteed. The biggest risk we took in moving up to 5 was the cap implications but by the end of next year if Sanchez proves to be a decent NFL QB the price we pay will not be out of line. If he turns out to be great it will be the single best draft move this team has made since Namath.

17. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

They probably plan to use Jones as trade bait to get a receiver. The guy is old anyway. I was never sold on TJ in the first place, and I'm still not.

So they use TJ to get a WR, and Rex is a D guru, so I'm sure he's got something in mind.

Either way, if you look at film of Sanchez, it looks like a pretty solid pick to me. The guy's got great form, some serious zip on his passes and a fairly big arm. 20 - 30 yards down field, like a laser. Plus he appears to be pretty smart, so really, what's wrong? Every pick is a risk.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It's really only a very few posting over and over again. Most seem on board with this draft.

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Flacco played really well against Dallas in Dallas in a must game to get into the playoffs and he outplayed Pennington on the road in his first playoff game.

20. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

BTW, I liked Miamis draft, but Pat White isn't scaring anyone, and the Wildcat craze will be short lived...I wouldn't put Miami over the hump because of this draft...The Phish will be competitive, but they will come down to Earth. Besides, it's an odd numbered year, so Chad will miss some major playing tim.