Am I the only one who thinks this has been a TERRIBLE draft....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tanknyc, Apr 26, 2009.

1. cxhannan

cxhannan New Member

You draft based on value not needs. Sanchez was the number 1 guy on our board, and we got him at 5. I think QB was a pretty big need for this team. Thomas Jones is 31 and we all know how production drops after rb's get 30+. Ryan said that Green was the number 1 guy on their board by a bunch, and he went up and got him. Who do we have as a back up lineman? We cannot keep gambling on the health of our guys and Slauson will provide depth and toughness to our line. So yes I think that anyone that believes we had a terrible draft really doesn't understand what it takes to build a successful football team.

2. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

i hope they do go out and get a Veteran WR becuz thas all we are missing on O is a #1 WR

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...you think and type like a nine year old...

Fucking listen - the Jets weren't going to fill all of their holes in this draft. This is a horrible draft - very weak. Our FO got two players that will be focal points on our offense for the next decade, then they drafted depth on the offensive line.

The chances of finding a starting receiver in the 6th round is awful - the fact that you actually thought we could find on in the 6th or 7th round is hysterical.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I've been saying it since Feb....Thomas Jones is replaceable....and apparently the Jets brass agrees with that notion.

I bet he shuts up about his contract now.

Welcome to gang green, Shonn Green :up:

5. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

The only thing I can possibly complain about with this draft is that yesterday teams were getting into the 2nd round with a package of a 3 + 4, and we traded a 3, 4, and 7 to move up 11 picks.

6. Quack

Quack New Member

Look, I hate Sanchez as a prospect, and I'm not crying over the draft. You know why? I'M NOT A PROFESSIONAL SCOUT.

I'm damned happy about the Greene selection, though. :D I love the idea of him playing in green and white. Woo.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Plax is an unrestricted free agent. We have as much a chance of landing him as anyone else. Please explain how filling our biggest need with the best available free agent is "playing madden". We obviously aren't going to draft a WR now are we?

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Very simple, QB was by far the biggest need on this team, every other need paled in comparison. The one year experience is one of the most overblown concerns I have ever heard.

The kid has everything it takes to become a great QB in this league, something the Jets haven't had since Namath. He was in a pro style system for 4 years and practiced against 8 NFL draft picks on D every day. The one year experience argument is ridiculous. He is a natural born leader with top notch intangibles for the most important position on the field. Everything after getting him was gravy.

Thomas Jones is not even close to the best player on the team. He is old for a RB and is not going to be on the team after next year. For next year we are going to see a three man RB rotation with players that perfectly compliment each other. Jones is on his last legs and now our QB and ground game are set for the future.

9. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Plax won't have much use for us while he is in jail

10. cxhannan

cxhannan New Member

As for DE, our coach knows exactly who Douglas is and obviously thinks he can be a solid starter for us. We need to go out and sign a reliable veteran reciever to give Sanchez another weapon in the passing game, but I mean its not like we have nothing with Cotch and Keller. Hopefully Clowney or Stuckey can step up and make a difference for us, but the cupboard is not bare.

11. mst3000

mst3000 Member

Yeah, where'd he get that Jets hat from?

12. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

people forget that the draft used to be a lot longer than 7 rounds. there will be tons of players their who will be free agents who we can pick up. we can sign a DE for depth. and there will be tons of undrafted WRs out there we can give a try.

13. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

theres always Talent even to the end of the draft

[​IMG]

Marko Mitchell (WR)
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 218
    College: Nevada
    Conference: WAC
    Hometown: York, Al
    High School: Sumter County

Combine Results:
    40 Yard Dash : 4.49 seconds
    Bench Press : 9.0 reps
    Vertical Jump : 32.0 inches
    Broad Jump : 116.0 inches
    3 Cone Drill : 7.04 seconds
    20 Yard Shuttle : 4.33 seconds

Positives: Rare height and arm length for the position. Good straight-line speed to challenge deep. Can track the ball over either shoulder and shows good body control and field awareness to keep his feet in bounds. Soft hands to pluck the ball out of the air and can make the reception outside of his frame. Alert receiver who will work his way back when the quarterback is under pressure. Good leaping ability. Shows a bit of vision and elusiveness as a runner after the catch and has the long strides to pull away from smaller defenders. Uses his size and length to effectively run block against small corners.

Negatives: Much of his production is due to this offense. Good, not great, straight-line speed. Will be caught from behind by NFL corners. Long-strider who has to build up to it. Lacks the short burst quickness to consistently gain separation against elite cover corners. Sinewy frame that may not withstand NFL punishment. Ball security may be an issue considering his lack of upper body strength. Isn't the dominant red-zone target his size indicates, due to marginal toughness and physicality in going up for the ball in traffic. Allows too many passes to get into his pads, resulting in some drops.

14. Quack

Quack New Member

ITS TEH END OF THE WARLD RUN FORE YOR LYVES

And yes, the idea of the guy you traded up for wanting to play for your team as well is pretty damned cool.

15. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

getting rid of Coleman was a gift. he makes a ton of money and hasn't don't much of anything... The can not be one of the arguments as to why u think this was a horrible draft

16. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

[​IMG]

17. alngtheway

alngtheway Member

completely agree. i dont watch college football so, since i happen to be a fan of our coaching staff, i defer to them when it comes to players and hope theyre right. but i just wonder why we had to give up so much in that trade with detroit...

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

True but it will take Sanchez a year or two before he is ready to make a SB run and we won't have to pay Plax until he gets out of jail and onto the field. We will probably find our # 1 WR elsewhere but I wouldn't mind him palaying for us.

19. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

i agree i love the fact he wanted to be a Jet.. I cant remember anyone Premier player besides Keyshan Johnson(and that was only because we had pick 1) that was excited to be jet and wanted to be jet

20. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Another positive is that we didn't trade away any picks for next years draft. I have heard and read many times that this was one of the weakest drafts in 10 years, but next year is going to be one of the strongest drafts in 10 years. We traded up twice, shored up the RB position, and got a potential franchise QB, and all we had to give up were a few picks and bunch of bench warmers. So we can use the deep draft next year to significantly improve the depth of the team.

Considering the type of draft people are projecting next year to be, I want quantity next year.