Holy crap, that is way to much to give up?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wildaces, Apr 25, 2009.

1. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Somebodies ass is chapped.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

We potentially lost 2 player since Elam and Coleman were already replaced. The players we lost were a backup QB who Sanchez replaces with no loss in depth and an upgrade in talent and a potential 2nd round pick who we still can replace in FA with a veteran player at similiar cap cost but with less future potential.

There are still going to be veteran JAGS available to sign for depth once teams start cutting players.

We had three positions of clear need, QB, WR and TE. You can argue that we have depth, proven and unproven talent at WR that's better than what we have at QB. We moved up to take the best player at the most important position on the field who was clearly higher on our board than any TE or WR in this draft.

We gave up something for that. It appears that we gave up very little in conventional value although we could have gone the other way. Ryan appears to love this kid as did Shotty, I think when you consider all those facts, this deal worked very well for us. When you look at what Mangini is trying to do in Cleveland this deal seems to be in tune with what he wants to do which is rebuild, starting all over with a lot of competition. I think that's why this trade worked. Both teams got good value because both teams got what they needed based on where they are today.

Neither side was raped. I doubt a love affair between Cleveland and NY is blooming but I suspect that we will have healthy and maybe even occasional rough sex once in awhile down the road.

#82 winstonbiggs, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  3. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

Holy shit you're daft.

4. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

This is an excellent post.

Like I said in another post, we gave up, essentially, one draft pick to climb up 12 spots. Coleman is replaceable, Elam is nothing special... AND if Ryan is willing to depart with two defensive players, I'm confident that it's alright. and Ratliff, regardless of how any of us feel about his play, has never taken an NFL snap. He may be good, but as of now he's nothing. Especially compared to Sanchez's talent.

Nobody seems to realize the value of saving picks for NEXT years draft... which is what JAX would have wanted at the 8 spot. Did we rape the Browns? No. Did they rape us? Certainly not. Did we win this trade? Absolutely.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

^ I would disagree and say we absolutely raped Cleveland in this deal. All three players can be replaced with free agents or after the summer cuts. To move from 17 to 5 and only having it cost the 53rd or whatever it was is pure rape. Ratliff wasn't going to play, Elam wasn't after signing Leonard so really it was only Coleman.

#85 Don, Apr 26, 2009
  6. vinsjets

vinsjets Active Member

The only reason I wont call it a rape is because the Browns filled real needs with Coleman and Elam. Plus the extra draft pick. I really don't see either side losing in this deal, but we definitely got a cheap steal climbing up 12 spots with only 1 draft pick.

7. winstonbiggs

Exactly you can't judge a trade by one team not lossing a lot in terms of their needs if it fills the needs of the other team. A good deal by it's nature helps both teams while doing the least damage to either side.

8. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

^^^Agree. This was a fair deal for both Offices. Fans will disagree. Shit happens.

I can't believe people are pissy about a Defensive Minded Coach, who's bolstered our defense since being here, deciding to trade 2 defensive players away. Like Ryan has no clue what he's doing....ON DEFENSE!?!

9. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

I will let this comment slide due to the great avatar.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We got screwed???? That was an absolute setal. We basically gave up a 2nd rd pick to move up to #5. We ghave up away 3 bench players, I'm disappointed about Ratliff but he wasn't going to get a shot anyway since we drafted Sanchez. This was an absolute steal and a great day for the New York Jets.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So that would mean you think Ratliff, Elam and Coleman will all start for Cleveland. Do you? Otherwise what is the point? If all they do is serve as backups as they did here then I still say it was rape. You can get backups anywhere.

12. 1010

1010 New Member

I started reading this thread and started getting embarrassed at the reactions of some of my fellow Jet fans (as I did with that moron crying after the trade and pick on TV). Luckily I was redeemed by the majority - anyone who looks at this deal and doesn't realize that Tanny just STOLE a potential franchise QB for a #2 pick and a bunch of irrelevant parts is missing the point. Depth? Really? Depth is added after the draft by most other teams. You can still add depth, you cannot add a franchise QB, especially at the expense of guys this team MAY need if others get hurt. How do you think Elam got here in the first place?

What you naysayers need to understand is that the trade works with NO ONE ELSE. The only reason why this spare-part trade worked now is b/c Mangini was on the other side.

Great Job NYJ, can't wait to see what today has in-store.

13. winstonbiggs

Elam and Coleman probably will start on Cleveland and Ratliff becomes a No. 2 guy if they trade Anderson or Quinn and your No. 2 QB is a must have. Elam and Coleman probably are rotational guys on the Jets not starters and Ratliff no way starts for the Jets or the Browns unless Mangini hates both Quinn and Anderson.

#93 winstonbiggs, Apr 26, 2009
  14. skorol75

skorol75 New Member

You nailed it. We traded players, which are dime a dozen in NFL, who can be replaced with relative ease, for someone who can be a franchise player and whom Jets would have picked if they had #1 overall pick in the draft. This is amazing move by the Jets. Finding a franchise QB is incredibly difficult task. We just gave ourselves a huge chance of getting one, and all it cost us is a second round pick and 2 replacable players (I don't even count Ratliff since he wasn't going to see any playing time, and if he was, we are screwed no matter what). The deal was an absolute steal for the Jets.

The only caviat is that their talent evaluation of Sanchez must be correct. If he really is a top QB talent, franchise type of QB, the best QB in the draft and worthy of being top overall guy on Jets board, we just got a gift from god.

15. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Too bad this guy is banned.

16. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

The Jets had to give up so little because people don't really want top five picks all that much-you have to pay them too much. The fear is that you get a good player but you have to pay them like a superstar.

Sanchez signed a 5 year/$50 million contract. Now he's worked out pretty well and most Jets fans are happy with him but that's a ton of money and a ton of cap space for an untested player. Remember he has a 17.8 million cap value this year, 14.2 next year and 8 million in 2013.

The Jets are fortunate that he's worked out as well as he has because otherwise he wouldn't be worth anything close to his cap value over the next three years.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

What's hilarious is that the posters who get shit on constantly were pretty wrong about this.

That's why they get shit on.

18. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Kind of funny that the only ones who were really against this trade don't even post here anymore. I guess they really hated Sanchez.

19. bigcotch

bigcotch Banned

I remember that draft-- I was at my buddies wedding, and we had limited info.

When I first heard we traded up I was thrilled. Then I was nervous, thinking that we gave up the farm. When I found out we gave up those three guys, and a second round pick, I was in shock, and elated. Everyone I was with agreed the trade was completly in our favor. Anyone upset with the trade has no concept of several things: 1: the draft value chart. 2: the value of a starting QB. 3: How easy it is to replace a third string QB, and two JAG defenders. When is the last time anyone watched a Jets game, and even thought of the good old days when we had Abram Elam and Kenyon Coleman?

This is a QB league. I don't care what a team "risks" on a high draft pick QB-- it is worth the risk. Teams with poor QB play will be no better than a borderline playoff team until they address the position.

We did great.

20. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Hind sight is always 20-20, and even though Sanchez has proven he is a tough competitor, I won't retract my statement. Rex came in and filled some holes when he came over through free agency, but we still had holes that needed to be addressed.

Again, Hind sight is 20-20, but just a short list of players we could have drafted on or at 17.

Clay Matthews
    Kenny Britt
    Hakeem Nicks
    Percy Harvin
    Josh Freeman

Hind sight

We draft Freeman, and trade up for Nicks or Britt.

Is that better or worse?

Turns out, it might be a wash.

Better question - What are the odds of getting production from 1 of 2 players or 1 of 1 players.

With that said,

Sanchez is a New York Jet, and I will cheer for him every week. I am happy to be wrong, and I apologize for my rash reaction.