Why pick a QB?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETS1116, Apr 22, 2009.

1. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I'm fascinated by the amount of people who want us to take a QB with our first round pick. We have 3 young QBs on our roster, all who have potential, they are just inexperienced. We've already established the fact that no QB could succeed with the O-Line that Clemens was behind 2 years ago. Give him a break. Every interview I've seen of Jets players want to see the QB spot given to either Clemens, Ratliff, or Ainge, not a rookie! They are the guys who practice with them, obviously they know more than us.

If we draft Sanchez or Freeman, how do we benefit? They need at least 1-2 years with a clipboard, and they are just as unproven as the QBs on our roster, plus our current QBs already know the playbook.

We have a solid O-Line, a great #2 WR, TE, 2 Pro Bowl RB's, a great FB, and a defense we are all excited to see in action. Although people don't like to draft WRs with first round picks, it is the position we need. We have the potential to win a superbowl this year, despite a tough schedule, we will be in every game.

Please try and explain why we should take a gamble on Sanchez/Freeman, I just don't get it.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The reason most people want to pick a QB, and this has been a conversation on the board for several running now, at least since 2006, is that the Jet's failures over the last decade have largely been QB-centered - with a few other notable disasters.

Vinny's injury in 1999 with no suitable backup on the roster. His decline at the end of 2001 and the beginning of 2002. Chad's injuries in 2003 and 2005 and his inability to manage a talent-stripped team in 2007. Clemens inability to hit the ground running on that same weak team in 2007 despite having a year+ to learn the system. All of these things have made the QB position a prominent factor in the Jet's inability to rise and tendency to fall abruptly.

The QB position is the most important position on the field. Having a good one puts you a leg up on the competition. Having a great one makes you a consistent threat to win it all. The Jets haven't had the second for a long time and people are hungry for a great team. the QB chatter isn't going to stop until we clearly have a good to great QB on the team and if he's only good it won't stop then unless the rest of the team is great.

3. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

I realize how important the QB is, and I've followed the Jets for years. My question is, why do people believe that Sanchez (a junior who has only started something like 16 games at USC) or Freeman (a mini-Jamarcus Russell, and we all know how good he is) is going to be better than any of the three QBs that we have, who the Jets players and coaches have voiced their opinions on, and they've been positive and that they want one of the three.

4. The reason is b/c they are elite QB prospects..which is something none of the 3 other guys are. They have POTENTIAL yes..but the odds of them being successful are far less than both freeman and Sanchez.

As for Freeman being like russell..i get the comparision..but Russell has a much better arm and Freeman is far more mobile and far smarter. Not to mention Russell could very well be a top 5 QB right now if he wasnt playing for such an inept franchise.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

the leadership Sanchez possesses isn't something that every QB has. He certainly possess more intangibles than any QB on this roster.

The QB position is one made up of intangibles. Most QBs have an arm that can make the throws, but what separates them is their mental makeup that is so hard to measure and scout.

Leadership, poise, maturity and confidence are a few elements that don't show up on a numbers chart. Its what separates Ryan Leaf from Peyton Manning.