Jewish fans jolt Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Damn Jews trying to ruin the good name of FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!

2. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Wow. Whats the issue here? There are games scheduled on Christmas and Christmas eve, I dont see an issue there. All of a sudden now we are worried about couple of Jewish holidays?

My boss is Jewish and I respect what they believe. But if NFL starts worrying about religious holidays, then there are several other religions that are larger in number than Jews.

Good to know Jets are trying to honor their requests, but if it doesn't go through, no complains.

3. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

If you a truly religous Jew, then giving up a something you love like a Jet home game , shows your dedication to your faith. Me, I am a non practicing Jew and find the NFL to be my religon and I give up family events, weddings, Bar Mitzvah's, OT, Christenings and anything for my religon. Baruch Atoy on 3

4. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

As fellow Jew myself I feel that this is overblown and think that the complaints are ridiculous. Chances are we've all had to miss a game for some reason or another, be it a wedding, funeral, etc. If you feel that being devout and celebrating Yom Kippur is that important then missing just one game shouldn't be a big deal. Just sell you tickets on stubhub if you are going to the game or dvr/record it if you just want to watch it at home. Personally, I'm not very religious (football is my primary religion), so you can be sure I'l be watching the game.

5. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

First of all, everyone needs to be careful that this isn't merely slander against the jews. Who exactly complained? I truly do not believe there has been any systematic complaint by the jews. Until we find out who is really initiating this, we should be cautious about blaming the jews.

Regarding your comments SEC314, I totally agree. Do you perceive a disagreement with me?

6. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

Not even close to being the same thing. Now I wouldn't expect you to know our customs and such, I probably don't know yours. Obviously (and I dont mean for this to come off as angry as its probably sounding) you dont know how these holidays are done or the practices. Christmas is typically celebrated as a fun get together. This is not the case for these holidays, its a MUCH different dynamic.

7. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

they dont change the baseball schedule for it (as evidenced by sean green never playing baseball on those days) so why should the nfl change for it? besides, the greatest church is the Church of Revis Christ. all hail Revis Christ

Shout out to Pastor NDMick, the originator of the church of revis christ

8. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

Theres like a million baseball games. 16 football games.

9. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

true but in most cases those baseball games are usually important for teams (tight playoff races and season winding down). even though all nfl games are important due to the fact that there arent that many, it kinda equals out. and besides, its all a dumb arguement anyway

10. hazmat

hazmat New Member

But they changed the schedule for the Giants so that their home games would not interfere with the holidays. We're only complaining because the Giants were smart enough to ask the NFL to make those road games.

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It was the NFL schedule maker that accepted the blame for not making sure the Jets were on the road.

Jets management did request it.

"The Jets are hearing from their fans," said Howard Katz, the NFL's senior VP of broadcasting, who oversees the creation of the schedule. "There was miscommunication between the Jets and the NFL office, for which I take full responsibility. All we can continue to do is look and see if there is a solution to this."

12. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I don't think you get it. Christmas (and especially Columbus Day) are not as serious a holiday as Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah.

Christmas is a pagan holiday at its core anyway, so it's not like you can't go out on Christmas. Do you drive a car on Christmas? I thought so.

Sorry, but there's no parallel. Comparing the holidays is out of sheer ignorance.

Considering the amount of Jews that have season tickets for the Jets and Giants, the league should've kept it in mind. Jets games should've been the early games.

If I was a Jewish season ticket holder, I would be very upset as well. A quarter of the regular season home games I would not be able to attend.

The league doesn't have to cater to the Jews, but it's been accepted to keep the holidays in mind when making the schedule. To change that now out of incompetence by the league office is a problem and worthy of complaint.

Yeah, if you're not observant, I guess you wouldn't care. Obviously the Jews who made a fuss about it take the holiday seriously and always attend the services on the holy days.

That's my main issue. I don't care who did and didn't complain. What makes me sick is ignorant people saying "oh, I don't care if a game is on Easter or Christmas." Asinine comparison.
    Anyone who reads even a little bit about Judaism and Christianity would understand that Christmas and Easter != Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.

Ask Sandy Koufax and Shawn Green, and they weren't even religious!

#52 Yisman, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  13. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Fuck, are you guys really that insensitive? As Jews, we are supposed to be at services all day on both Rosh Hashanah and for Yom Kippur. I wouldn't bitch about it, but if I had season tickets, I wouldn't be able to go to the games. It's a pain in the ass, and when the NFL had an easy fix (make the Jets the early game) they didn't do it. It's not their fault that both fall on Sundays, but to screw Jewish Jets fans over twice, and not Giants fans once, that's pretty annoying. Rosh Hashanah wouldn't be a huge deal, because it's the second day (the first day is a more important holiday, especially this year when it falls on Shabbat) but by the time the Yom Kippur game ends, it would be past sundown, and the holiness of the day would have already begun.

I'm not exactly privy to the whole of Christmas celebrations, but I know they are just that-celebrations. You get presents and it's a joyous occasion. Yom Kippur is a very solemn day, dedicated, mainly, to silent prayer and introspection. I think the closest Christian equivalent might be like Ash wednesday, but even that's a stretch.

#53 firemanedjr, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Like you said, I don't even get why this was done to begin with. Doesn't it make more sense for the team playing at home that day in New Jersey to have the 1 PM game? The road team should generally get the later game anyway. It isn't always the case, but the NFL should've been smart enough to ensure it was the case this time.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Three things.

1) If you're supposed to be at services ALL DAY, why does it matter what time the game is?
    2) Why are Jews attending Jets games more important than Jews attending some other NFL game?
    3) What do you want to do with Kerry Rhodes when he gets home with you?

16. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

1) Yom Kippur starts at Sundown. Assuming a 1 hour commute to the game, you're home by 5 for a 1:00 game, giving you time to change and get to synagogue.

2) There are simply more of us. Nowhere else in the country, except maybe Miami, are Jews more than 5% of the fanbase. In NY, it's probably closer to 15%

3) Are you truly unfamiliar with the works of John Denver?

17. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

The Jets (and the NFL as a whole) would be financially damaged if Jews did not buy season tickets. Many Jews do buy season tickets and account for a ton of Jets and Giants revenue. Obviously some of them (I assure you it was a small number that actually made a fuss) think the NFL should try a little bit to accommodate them when they can. The NFL could have accommodated them here and it wouldn't have been an issue.

Yep, it's always been a tristate area thing because of the large concentration of Jews.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

Where do you find your Jew stats?

19. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

if you're not a Buddist, you're part of the problem. :wink:

20. WhiteShoeWillis

There's a long waiting list for NYJ season tickets. I'm sure they could sell them to non-Jews if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.