Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

This has "Justin McCarreins" written all over it........ :eek:hmy:

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

My feeling is that we will NOT go after him with a 2nd round pick , it seems that the FO are also going to baulk at that price too

3. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

How did you get that feeling from that article gus? just wondering, as i read it completely differently lol

From that i got the feeling that we are definitely going after him, and we are taking our time to get a offer down that will be near impossible for the Cowboys to match.

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

This paragraph jumped out at me.....

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

www.jetsdaily.com

6. ........

........ Trolls

Ah, Alex Van Dyke. Where did he end up, the Saints?

Thanks for posting this, Mack. I won't complain immediately if this deal goes through, but the uncertainty of the draft concerns me. If Maclin falls, or we can trade back and snag Britt, this looks like a bad deal. I don't think this compares to the Hatchette deal as some have said, but it sure could backfire like JMac. I'd like to think our FO has learned its lesson and is better evaluating talent this time around. I'd like to know if Ellard has been a part of these discussions as well.

7. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

He can be a good punt returner, because kick return's are leon's territory....however on the WR point I don't think he'd be worth a 2nd round pick.

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Who's JMac? I don't actually remember him doing anything for the Jets (except maybe drop a few). All I know is that a 2nd rounder is too steep for an unproven WR.

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yet so many are clamoring for the Jets to draft a receiver.

10. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

My feeling about Austin's Dallas production is this:

You've got Jason Witten. He's Tony Romo's favorite target. Immediately behind him, there's Terrell Owens, the most ball-demanding wide receiver in the history of the game. After TO, Roy Williams, a receiver Dallas just mortgaged their future to get. Behind Roy Williams, Patrick Crayton, a coach favorite. After Crayton, Marion Barber, a solid receiving Pro Bowl running back.

And then finally, you've got Miles Austin. That was the pecking order in Dallas last year. As the sixth most likely target in Dallas, Austin roughly averaged a twenty yard catch for every game he played. 20 YPC is nothing to sneeze at.

And was it Austin who caught the TD pass that went through Patrick Crayton's hands? Fuckin' heads up play.

If Miles Austin can be had for a second round pick, have him. I'd rather have someone who shows a lot of potential early on in their pro career than someone who shows potential in college.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Well, its actually the other way around, no biggie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACPv1_AR-g4

As for drafting one with potential, Miles Austin is no different than any WR in the draft. I don't why ppl are saying he has shown potential. How do you show potential with 13 catch season that too being the 3rd WR for almost half the season? Not enough potential IMO (as if my opinion matters). He played in lower level competition in college and did well, but so did David Ball, if we remember him.

Clowney and Stuckey came aboard for free. Stuckey was a 7th rounder, wow. I'd give them a shot at #2 and #3 before giving up a second round pick. Draft a WR with the same 2nd round pick. I promise you MA would not be much better than any 2nd rounder (and they would still improve in the NFL). If we trade for MA, I so hope Im wrong and he turns out to be the next Larry Fitzgerald (Pretty damn impossible).

12. Warrior

Warrior Member

Somebody somewhere posted this idea which I think has some balls and merit.
    The Jets need draft picks. Dallas MAY want to get into the 1st round - they have 11 picks in this draft, but no 1st rounder. The Jets should negotiate a deal for Mills (as 2nd round value) plus get Dallas' #51 pick (2nd rd), #101 pick (1st pick in rd 4), #118 pick (4th rd) for the Jets #17.

The value is very close.

This would give the Jets: #51,#52,#76,#101,#115,#118,#193,#219 plus Miles,WR

The Cowboys have 11 draft picks. The Jets have 6. I cannot see the Cowboys wanting another 2nd round pick - that would give them 12 picks! I think and hope MT is trying to take advantage of the 11 picks the Cowboys have to build depth. If the Cowboys do this trade they will still have 9 draft picks plus be in the 1st round.

13. ........

........ Trolls

If he flops, you may have just taken this deal from JMac status to Doug Jolley. You do have a point as far as Dallas wanting to unload picks, though. I just wouldn't want to move that far down with our first pick for someone of Miles' caliber.

I had a similar thought as far as receivers were concerned with Anquan Boldin. When people were talking him up and discussing the likelihood that Arizona would want more than a 1, I thought it might be nice to flop picks with Arizona in this year's draft and send our 1 next year. Arizona could move up to take either Percy Harvin and slide Breaston outside, or grab Knowshon Moreno, and have the 1 next year. We'd get Boldin and would likely be able to draft Donald Brown with the 31.

14. Warrior

Warrior Member

essentially what this trade would do - is trade #17 pick for Miles, #51,#101,#118. I would take that chance. Miles has proven he can play - how far he can take it is the question, but that is true of any of the draft picks.

15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That would be sweet if we could make this deal happen. Good deal for 'Zona as well.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Tangini?

As for this Austin thing- trading 2nd round picks for fringe players is moronic, so the Jets just might do it.

17. Warrior

Warrior Member

I feel if the Jets were set on signing him for a 2nd rounder it would have been done. MT is always very well prepared. If it was a simple sign him for the 2nd rounder the offer would have been made. There is something else going on - the Jets want to negotiate a deal with the Cowboys and I really feel the Jets' goal is to get more draft picks while getting a starting WR. This can only be possible, of course, if Dallas is willing to part with Miles.

#317 Warrior, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I don't know about this move. The JMac move is what this reeks of...

Oh, and wasn't Dinger supposed to bring out the best him having worked with him in TN? Exactly. One small thing Dinger couldn't do was actually catch the ball for him...

No thanks.

19. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

Hmmmm 2003 didn't we have a really crappy coach and O line then? JMac would have been good for us NOW.

Austin is ready to play. A 2nd round draft pick of equal caliber would NOT be. + to Austin
    There will not be a WR at #52 = to Austin. + Austin.

The JETS obviously do not want to draft a WR in round 1, so Austin would be the best WR we could "draft" . He has the size and speed we NEED.

I say do it.

20. doug4563

doug4563 Active Member

If Jerry Jones likes him, it gives me enough reason to NOT like him!