Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

Cowboys beat writer Todd Archer considers the Jets "likely" to tender Miles Austin a restricted free agent offer sheet during his Friday visit.
    Austin is in great position with a lot of new earning potential. We have a strong suspicion that Dallas will match any offer, however. Getting a second round pick would be nice, but the Cowboys truly are relying heavily on Austin

2. ........

........ Trolls

Not necessarily. As I said above, the Cowboys were targeting a SB last season. Austin wasn't the receiver they needed at the 2 spot. Talent aside, he's a similar receiver to Owens, not a complement for him. They tried Crayton there, and he failed. If I feel I'm one player away from winning right now, I try to make a deal as well. If this was a team looking at 8-8 regardless of that position, I doubt they make the deal for Williams. It had more to do with current aspirations than with the current roster.

3. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying he is similar to Owens but with less talent. Is that right? If so, other than their size and inconsistent hands, how would you say they are similar? The reason why I ask is that I couldn't think of having a better complement to Terrell Owens than having another Terrell Owens on the field at the same time.

4. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I'm amazed at all the people criticizing the guy for "not performing" while he was in Dallas. Remember they had a certain receiver wearing #81 who would whine about not getting the ball when it was being thrown to their Pro-Bowl TE in Witten instead of him. Imagine if he thought Austin was becoming Romo's "go to guy" for getting 2 or 3 passes thrown to him a game?

Dallas' passing game just didn't have enough balls to go around to please everyone.

5. ........

........ Trolls

Austin is an uncertain talent. My point was that Owens already provided the deep threat that Austin brings. Dallas needed a proven talent underneath, a possession receiver to keep the chains moving. If you put the two of them out there, and Austin is NOT that possession receiver, then teams are able to double team Owens all day long and neutralize the passing game.

6. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Exactly, Owens was the deep threats, and Witten was the middle possession guy, Austin wasn't given a fair chance. Like i said in a earlier post, the coaches know what they are doing, if they offer him a contract, then they obviously have seen something. Lets show a little trust.

7. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Cowboys knew what they had in Crayton. He was their starter last yr., and didn't do much. Cowboys didn't need Roy Williams. They had offensive pro bowlers in Romo, TO, Witten, Barber (for most part), and an excellent OL. Their offense was just fine. If they thought Miles would be a great WR, he would have played the slot instead of Crayton. Don't forget, MA got very few receptions, and that too working against the 3rd and 4th CBs single coverage. Yes, his opportunities were minimal, but its not like he made the most out of em. He was their 3rd WR for almost half the season before RW was traded for and still ended up with just 13 catches. There's no mystery here. Its common sense. He is Clowney part two. excellent speed a little taller than Clowney, a lot of potential, but not a proven WR. I would use the pick for a proven WR if I was to trade or I'd go in the draft. We have a few good drafts lately so maybe we can find a good fit.

Cowboys like Miles Austin. Why? Because it cost them nothing. He is good, but not worth a 2nd round. At best, 5th or maybe, maybe 4th.

The main question is, do you want to see what you have in Clowney and Stuckey for free, or do you wanna give up a second and see what Clowney, stuckey or MA have? We would be gambling too much there. I like Stuckey. He was the 3rd WR and managed almost 3 times as many catches than MA, also a 3rd WR for most part.

MA didn't even do much in the preseason games where he got his chances. Clowney was much better than him. People here are talking about his YPC. Wow. Big deal. He only had 13 catches, caught GB offguard and burned them with two catches for 115 yards. take out those two catches and his YPC comes down to 15. He hasn't had enough catches to establish a YPC. Clowney's YPC is 26 if u wanna take that route.

I hope we don't do this. I have seen MA. He may be a good slot receiver, or an ok #2, but a 2nd rounder is a very steep price for a questionable player who has had TWO different knee injuries. Knee injuries slows down the WRs so plz don't do this Tanny.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

First of all, I don't know if I can trust a guy that is a fan of two teams?

Miles Austin is not a slot receiver...that's why he didn't play in the slot. With Terrell Owens out the way, Roy Williams moves to #1 and Austin is now their #2...Crayton stays in the slot.

People are asking why the Cowboys spent so many picks on Williams...maybe it's because they were planning on releasing TO?

1. He didn't tear anything...he sprained his knee. The Cowboys sat him out because his only value to them in 2008 was as a return man and Felix Jones could fill that hole. With Owens and Williams starting, Miles Austin was just a package player.

2. I too have seen Miles Austin, and I like what I see -- no matter what, we'll have to give up a second to get him. It's the same thing as drafting a wideout in the second round...

3. Once again, he is not a slot receiver.

#228 Mr Electric, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  9. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

If Miles Austin was a guaranteed starter, then why did the Cowboys trade the rest of their draft for Roy Williams? This is almost the same situation as in Tennessee a few years ago with McCareins. Back then, the Titans WR corps could be broken down into Derrick Mason and not Derrick Mason. As of right now, it is the same situation with Dallas; Roy Williams and not Roy Williams. Austin couldn't beat out Patrick Crayton (he sucks) for the #3 slot. A second round pick for this guy is too high especially given the talent that will be available at 52.

If we want a receiver there will be Brian Robiskie 6'3" with great hands = legit redzone target. Kenny Britt might fall there. Ron Brace could be at that spot. Shonn Greene or LeSean McCoy could be there. Patrick Chung could be there if we go offense in the first round and Rex decides to help build the defense. Any number of offensive lineman who could replace Damien Woody and/or Alan "turnstile" Faneca.

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Ur argument works both way. Works better the other way IMO. TO and Witten were pro bowl types. Teams had to double cover TO and cover Witten. Thats creates a lot of chances for the other WRs.

Remember, TO complained about NOT getting enough thrown his way. Which meant, it WAS being spread out rather TO/Romo combo. Someone was getting opportunities and TO thought he wasn't used as well, and this was before Roy came in.

11. CatoTheElder

No and no. They spent so many picks on Williams because they were chasing a Super Bowl title with a "win right fucking now or die in Hell" mentality.

12. ........

........ Trolls

I was just going to post this.

Also worth noting that Stuckey is our slot receiver. There won't be any competition between him and Austin. The Austin v Clowney argument is a valid one. If we like what we see in Clowney, perhaps he deserves a chance to try to win the receiver spot opposite Cotchery. Or, perhaps, he needs further development and we feel Austin is ready to step in right now. I don't think we'll really be able to judge the merits of the deal until we see Austin on the field next season, whichever uniform he's in.

13. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Gotcha, thanks.

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

...or because Roy Williams is one of the better receivers in the league when healthy.

You other post is just annoying - Robiskie has just as much value as Austin. Also, for the 500th time, Austin is NOT a slot receiver -- Patrick Crayton is -- that's why is was their slot guy.

#234 Mr Electric, Apr 10, 2009
  15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Is that why they gave TO a contract extension? Because they were planning on releasing him? Or maybe they traded for Roy because they didn't think MA or PC could do the job...

As for #3, MA didn't start a game. He definately wasn't a starter. He was a slot WR last yr, that too behind PC. Doesn't sit too pretty on the resume.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Didn't they acquire Roy Williams late in the season? Terrell Owens got his new deal in the summer, June to be exact. Minds can change, especially when someone like TO is involved.

Does anyone that watches football think Miles Austin should start over Terrell Owens and/or Roy Williams? No.

Just because he was buried on the depth chart, doesn't mean he's a slot receiver. Do you even know what a slot receiver is? Every time I watched a Cowboys game, Austin subbed in for a tired Owens or a tired Williams - he was never in the slot. Patrick Crayton is their slot guy.

Also, Dallas had great talent at tight end - Marcellus Bennett and Jason Witten were also split out and used in the slot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x6O2u2n2LY

Watch this video - tell me where Miles Austin lines up...it certainly isn't in the slot.

#236 Mr Electric, Apr 10, 2009
  17. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I have some issues with your thesis. Robiskie does not equate to Austin. Robiskie I would spend a 2nd round pick on, Austin I would only trade a 2nd round pick for if I was retarded or Terry Bradway.

And Crayton was the #2 WR for the Cowboys in 2007 while Austin & Hurd played the slot. Austin could not even make enough of an impression here to beat out the football powerhouse known Sam Hurd. Austin is a young player with a lot of potential, but he has yet to see this potential equate to anything meaningful on the field. And he has failed to produce while playing on one of the more prolific offenses in this league.

Last year the Cowboys had 2 WRs go down and had to resort to multiple WR sets far more frequently. He had an opportunity to produce here (especially whilst TO was going through a bit of a "dry spell" & Roy Williams was still leaning the offense) and he did not produce then either.

Now you are taking him away from the temeperate climes of Dallas, and throwing him in to the windy Meadowlands with a QB with far less experience and talent, and WR core that will not do him any favors in terms of drawing double coverage away from him.

Austin is a BAD move for the Jets. I rest my case.

18. CatoTheElder

...and what the Hell is your point on this one? Congratulations, you've proven that Jerry Jones is a half-way decent evaluator of talent he is not (yet) paying. This doesn't speak anything in favor of bringing in Austin. All this shows is that Dallas looked at its WR corps, saw Miles Austin, and said, "We need something better." He was buried in that depth chart and it wasn't because his skill set didn't fit one position. It's because he just isn't that good.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If you look at it the right way, Jason Witten was really Dallas' #2 receiver.

Miles Austin was their only good return man in 2007, why risk injury when there are 3 better receiving options on your team?

Austin missed 4 games in 2008 due to a sprained knee, he was a 4th or 5th option in that offense, and he was subbed in maybe for 10 plays a game at wideout...what kind of stats do you want him to put up?

#239 Mr Electric, Apr 10, 2009
  20. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Who drafted him? Was it Bill Parcells that could tell us all something.