Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

We better not. He had a few flashes in the pan last year. Even McCareins at least had a 16 game sample of decent production when we brought him in here.

Can't say as much for Austin. The guy was a 3rd or 4th WR option on Dallas that is why he was so wide open to make a few big plays.

I really question if this guy can play at this level consistently. Another weight room/40 time stat stuffer who looks good in an under armour tank.

Don't do it Jets. It's J McCareins part Deux.

2. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

I don't understand the rationale behind spending a high draft pick on a QB when the Jets don't have a WR.

The fact of the matter is, unless we want to move up, our best QB option via the draft is Josh Freeman (who we still may have to move up for). I'd rather go with the guys with experience in the system. Good receivers can help make the QB better. Yes, you can flip that as well, but there just isn't really a good QB out there that is any more deserving than what we have...

3. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

Honestly, when you look at how much Dallas has invested in Austin, I think there has to be something there. With no first round pick, they cut Terrell Owens, banking on this guy to be able to fill his role. Theres gotta be something there. I think hes in a similar situation to what Cotchery was in before his breakout year. The numbers are very similar except for Austin's outstanding YPC.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I don't get why everyone is saying that Austin is going to fill TO's role.

That is not accurate. TO was the unquestioned #1 WR on the team.

Austin may fill TO's role in terms of being the deep threat who can burn, yet Roy Williams is the indisputable #1 WR on that team.

The 'boys mortgaged their future to get Williams. You better believe he is going to be the focal point for Romo next year.

Again, watch Austin outside of a few big plays and tell me what he's consistently done.

And Roy Williams can't be included in this comparison for what he did last year. He was brought in midseason last year, him and Romo had no chemistry formed yet, and TO tore that team apart all season so it's not like Roy could be the man yet.

I expect Williams to have a Pro Bowl yr in Dallas next season.

5. ........

........ Trolls

Either that, or we're about to fall victim to one of the greatest pranks in NFL history. They haven't invested much monetarily, Owens couldn't continue to play in Big D, and there are still some solid FAs out there. $1.5 million isn't much to invest if you really don't have anyone else this season to fill the role.

I honestly have no clue about Austin. I've heard very mixed things, and he certainly doesn't have a track record to settle the debate.

6. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Of what i have seen of Austin (granted it is very little), he looks like a nice prospect, he has been buried on the depth chart, that doesn't mean that he is bad, look at the Cotchery situation, he was buried on our depth chart, in 04 and 05, and then when given a chance he broke out, Austin has potential, just look at some highlights of his route running. I can't stand when people use the rationale that he hasn't done much, he hasn't really been given that much chance, when he has come in, he has been on the same field as Witten/Owens.....i would be willing to give up a 2nd on this guy. If the coaches make this deal, i think they are a little more qualified to decide if he is worth the second, that some couch coaches that we have on here. I have faith in our coaches, if they see something in the guy, then i am all for getting him.

#206 RevisCB, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  7. ........

........ Trolls

^^^Yeah, the more I think about it, the less surprised I am that he could be talented, but hasn't received much of a shot. People talk about him being buried beneath Crayton, but Crayton has spent most of his time in Dallas in the slot, where Austin would be a poor fit. When they tried to push Crayton into the #2 position, he struggled, hence the Roy Williams trade. Austin doesn't complement Owens, he's the same type of receiver. It wouldn't have made sense to push him into the #2 in that situation. Last season, Dallas had SB aspirations. Regardless of confidence in Austin's ability, they do that trade to bring in a solid possession receiver in the hopes that it's the last piece in the puzzle.

With Owens gone, it's not surprising that Austin is being looked to to fill that #1 spot. Williams very well may be the focal point of the offense right now, but he's a traditional #2, and Austin would complement him well...if he has the talent Dallas seems to see. It's a risk, no matter how you look at it, and I personally believe that there's talent there in the draft (even if Maclin doesn't fall to us) that would make me pause, but I won't completely freak out if we sign Austin. I'll just be nervous until TC and the season.

8. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

They invested a lot of him on the field is what I'm saying. They currently have no viable options outside of Austin (they seem to have lost all faith in Crayton), dont have a first, and have shown absolutely no interest in any free agents. Their fans don't want to give him up for a 2nd. Hes definitely got talent and I trust that our coaching staff could get good production out of him.

9. ........

........ Trolls

Crayton is a decent slot receiver, but he failed when they tried to push him outside. They do have to rely on Austin to fill that outside spot, but I'm not sure fan reaction is always a good barometer. There are likely people on here who wouldn't want to see Clowney traded for a 2nd. The reaction of the CS and ownership is more telling. You can't deny that it's a risk, though, until he shows production on the field. I won't criticize the front office if we acquire him until we see him on the field.

10. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

so basically, hes a kenny britt type reciever?.. big target with decent speed. has anything new come from the reports.. or are we still just "looking" at him..

11. Has devilonthetownhallroof commented on this? He's the resident Cowboys fans(and one of my personal best friends)....he was dead on about pete Hunter a few years back and is usually pretty good w/ these type of opinions. I'd be curious to hear his take..

12. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

He is with us right now, so i would of thought we are discussing a few things, and any new information will be released at some point tonight. Percy Harvin is visiting with us today as well, so we are all over potential receivers at the minute. :up:

13. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

The only reason I can see this signing making sense if our #1 pick is a RB.

The JETS are very weak at WR.

14. ........

........ Trolls

I'd suspect that if we sign him, we go with Gilbert in the 1st round after trying to trade down. RB is definitely a possibility, though.

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Austin is meeting with the Jets as we speak -- we'll probably know something by tonight or tomorrow morning...

16. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

That all depends if Moreno or Wells is there at 17.

17. ........

........ Trolls

I'm not sure if it does. I'd love to see either one come here, but I think this team loves Gilbert, and I'm not sure if we'd want to wait until the 3rd to draft defense with a defensive minded coach. I think it's much more likely that we wait until the 3rd to take a RB. Like I said, I'd be pleased either way.

Also, I can't envision a situation in which one or both of them isn't available at our pick.

18. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

One of them has to be there surely

19. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Im hoping Moreno. We should know by this evening if they are able to sign him or not?

20. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Yeah, except Cowboys invested a first, a third, and a sixth round pick on Roy Williams. Tells you how much they loved Miles Austin.

As for TO, he was a cancer. It has nothing to do with Miles Austin.