Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Warrior

Warrior Member

Why can't we then simply sign Miles away from Dallas for a 2nd and say that fills our need on the offensive side of the ball as you say and still go with the BPA that is not a WR in the 1st round? Personally , I think if the Jets get Miles they will definitely trade down in the 1st round to get an extra pick. The signing (if possible) makes sense if they truly believe he is the real McCoy.

2. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'm not reading through 180 something posts, so if it was mentioned already, I apologize, but if Jones and Tony Homo are so in love with Austin wouldn't Dallas just match the offer? From what I read today, it's only like a mil and a half and they have seven days to think about matching. If he's the "next Terrell Owens" Jones will match it. So this is basically a moot argument.

3. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

4. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

You are beating a dead horse here...Those are "proponent" of this move, will not agree with the other 99% of us. You are beating a dead horse.

5. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Read my first part of the post.........

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Why would you do a 3rd if you know he is a pure replacement for TO?

Anyways why would you hide someone if you know he has potential? wasting a yr IMO.

7. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

not the worst scenario ever, but why do so many assume its so simple to trade down? someone has to still be on the board that another team really wants. unless one of the top guys falls i don't see anyone who another team will want so badly that they will trade for the 17.

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

That is why I was just warning you.

9. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

He's my neighbor I play drinking games with on Sunday nights. Cool guy but I would hate for him to be the Jets WR for our 2nd round pick. Guy hasn't played ball in years.

Agree. That scenario wouldn't be the absolute worst thing to do. At the same token I would hate to pass up on Maclin if he happened to fall to us because just we wrapped up a boatload of money on Austin.

It's really hard to say which way we're going to go with the first pick, that's why I'd rather not part ways with it. If we go offense in the first, I tend to think we're going to go defense with the 2nd. I think in Ryan's defense a 2nd rounder in NT, DE, or CB will go a long way for us and will probably have a bigger impact than Miles. But that's just my opinion.

Right now, I'm content to roll with what we have on our roster. I see Austin as having as much potential as Stuckey and Clowney anyway.

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Well I don't know who this friend of yours is but ... The Cowboys gave TO a contract extension last yr even though he was a cancer in the locker room. They traded for Roy Williams for 3 picks including a first rounder. What part of these facts suggest that the Cowboys were high on Miles Austin and were just trying to hide him?

I live in Dallas. Diehard Jets fan, but a big Cowboys fan too. I listen to all the talk shows here n watch all the Jets n Cowboys games. I have media access inside the Texas Stadium. I get inside news to some extent during the season. The only news I have heard out of Valley Ranch is that Miles will battle for the second spot against Crayton. Not exactly Manning vs. Brady.

11. doug4563

doug4563 Member

12. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

If Miles Austin is so great, why did Dallas trade their draft for Roy Williams?

2nd and 3rd round picks are like gold. You don't throw them away on an unproven WR who you think might have the ability to step up and be a big-time playmaker (Justin McCareins, anybody??) and who has shown next to nothing thus far in his NFL career.

#192 al_toon_88, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  13. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Amen. Would he even make the team? Is he better than Brad Smith? Okay, maybe. But I'd take Stuckey, Clowney and Juan Wong probably before him. The guy should have been able to get open more in Dallas, what with T.O., Roy Williams, and Witten commanding the attention of the secondary / linebackers....he was what, the #5 WR on Dallas, behind Crayton and Sam Hurd??

So Tannenbaum is actually flirting with the idea of giving away a 2nd round pick for a 4th or 5th string wideout? If Tannenbaum pulls the trigger on this, he absolutely has no business being a GM and should go back to managing salaries.

#193 al_toon_88, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  14. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Any news on how the meeting went or is going?

15. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

He didn't turn up yesterday did he? Think he is metting today:

Cimini:

pril 9, 2009

***Dallas restricted free agent WR Miles Austin did not visit the Jets as scheduled but is still expected to meet with the team. Should the Jets make a contract offer to Austin, the Cowboys will have to decide whether to match or take the Jets' second-round pick as compensation***

I did read somewhere that he was metting with the team today.

16. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Article on Austin meeting with us today:

17. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Rotoworld.com

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'm getting nervous we're going to give up a 2nd for this guy. I don't think it's worth it, but like I said I really don't know much about him.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

if all this interest in Austin is legit....the Jets must not be impressed with any of the Wideouts in the draft with a 1st round grade. I really hope Austin is the real deal....a 2nd round pick is pretty high.

Geez...2 more weeks till the draft....it's taking forever! I'm tired of speculating

20. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I don't understand the rationale behind spending a high draft pick on a WR when the Jets don't have a QB.