Gil Brandt's TOP 100 (By Tiers)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jabba the Jet, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fa17a0

I love Brandt's rankings and I always take them dead serious, plagerism scandal aside, because IMO Gil Brandt is arguably the greatest scout in NFL history having once been the chief architect of the Dallas Cowboys when their talent level was always the envy of the league and they put together what I still believe is a record number till this day, something like 20+ consecutive winning seasons :eek:hmy: ... with a slew of division titles, like five conference titles, and two SB titles

So I've always said if they ever elect a Scout to the HOF, Gil Brandt (IMO) should be the first, or at least on the short list

#1 Jabba the Jet, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. pender30

pender30 Member

Here's what he has to say about your boy Gilbert (in the 41-50 tier):

It's your favorite scout vs. your favorite player. Something has to give.

3. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

I know, I caught that too and I'm not gonna say it didn't concern me

Anyone else, not such a big deal .. but Gil Brandt, I admit that bothers me

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

anybody else surprised by the fact Josh Freeman is his top Qb? I just find that odd. Maybe that is more of an indictment of his opinion of Sanchez/Stafford, because he comes out and says, Risk-Reward type player. that just seems odd to me to have a top 10 pick at the QB slot who is listed so obviously as a risk reward guy. You dont draft a QB top 10 if you arent 100% sure he is the real deal.

5. pender30

pender30 Member

Who knows if he's right or not. These guys can't attend pro days, write blog entries, do mock drafts and watch tape on every player out there. I heard some NFL front office guy say the other day that when Mel Kiper has the time to really study and break down a player, he almost always makes the right call on how he projects as a pro. The problem, he said, is no one person can break down every player in the draft, and since Mel needs to be able to provide analysis on over 200 guys, he gets spread too thin. Maybe Gil hasn't seen enough of Jarron. That said, I agree he is one of the best.

6. pender30

pender30 Member

He groups the guys into tiers of 10, and within the tiers he has them listed alphabetically. So he doesn't have Freeman ahead of Stafford; they are in the same group. He does have him ahead of Sanchez, though, which is interesting.

7. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Surprised to see Freeman so high.

8. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I heard him say that he thought he would go in the top ten. I tried to figure it out and came up with Jacksonville. He knows Del Rio very well, and they'll have someone to develop behind Garrard.

9. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I hope everyone has him rated that way. Second round, please.

10. a1032bc

a1032bc New Member

Also excited to see Tyson Jackson DE made his top 10. If he is there at 17 we have to take him. Goes back to the theory you draft for value first - not need. Emergency needs are filled in free agency, the draft is for the future.

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I thought we'd see a higher rise in Gilbert's stock by guys like Scott Wright, Kiper and Brandt, but so far nothing more than 2nd round..

Maybe he would be a reach at #17. But honestly, I don't see that there is THAT much more talent at #17 than there is at the bottom of the 1st..

Our best case scenario would be to trade down big time.. I'm talking something like our #17 for a pair of the Patriots' 2nd round picks or maybe our #17 for Cleveland's two 2nd round picks. There we could target Gilbert and a WR such as Kenny Britt or Brian Robiskie..

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Gilbert won't make it by Pittsburgh...if he lasts that long.

Britt looks like he'll end up in the first round as well.

Robiskie would be a nice acquisition, but what happens if the Jets bring in Miles Austin?

If the FO gives up a second for Austin, they must be thinking about moving back in the first or even out of the first.

13. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

He only goes by "tiers", rule .. but "within each tier" he goes by "alphabetical order"

So its not that he has Freeeman ahead of Stafford, its just that they're in the same tier and F comes before S

OOPS: Just noticed pender already explained that ... my apologies, pender

#13 Jabba the Jet, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  14. pender30

pender30 Member

They talked about Gilbert last night on Path to the Draft. Said he doesn't play with a mean streak and that is why teams are looking at him as an offensive tackle. You guys had me sold on this guy, but with Brandt, and now Casserly and Mayock saying he's basically a project who may play OT, I'm a little more skeptical of picking him at 17.

15. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

SAME HERE

These Guys look at a lot more film than I do, and Brandt's track record as a real architect of a real NFL team for decades (plural) is off the charts, and Casserly was also a chief scout for Bobby Beathard (Redskins) when they were winning SB's, prior to being named GM of the Texans and OBTW, making the right call on Mario Williams over Reggie Bush despite everyone in the world calling him a nut-case, so a lot of people (INCLUDING YOURS TRULY) owe Casserly an engraved apology ... and lastly Mayock is a former Pro football player who really does do his homework where it pertains to the draft

All that said, I'm not so proud to admit I may have been wrong, and its hard to argue with that trio

Lastly, on the topic of looking at film and what have you, I'm sure at his age Brandt just doesn't have the time and energy to study these prospects as maticulously as he did back in his "Doomsday" days with Dallas, but I believe he still attends the combines and I know a lot of "NFL Guys" still like to pick his brain till this day ... in fact I once heard Bill Parcells usually parks his @$$ right along side Gil Brandt at the combines :grin:

I don't know if its true, but I've had more than one person who attends the combines tell me if you're looking for the tuna, you can usually find his @$$ parked right next to Gil Brandt's

#15 Jabba the Jet, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  16. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

What's the possibility of Stafford to Detroit, Sanchez to Seattle... And Josh Freeman to Jacksonville at #8? The Jags have gone for rocket-armed QBs like Leftwich and Garrard in the past. And there's always a few surprises..

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I know this guy is relatively unknown, but he has love for Jarron Gilbert --

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=60&articleid=32465

18. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member