QB dept. : " Veteran Jets players not in favor of drafting quarterback " ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Apr 9, 2009.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

Veteran Jets players not in favor of drafting quarterback
    By Matt Sohn - April 9, 2009

While we continue to hear the Jets are comfortable heading into the 2009 season with their current cast of unproven quarterbacks, it's still very much a possibility that they'll be tempted by one of the big guns ? Matt Stafford, Mark Sanchez or Josh Freeman ? or even a lesser quarterback outside the first round. But we're hearing that if the decision were being made by veteran players on the club, there'd be little chance of thinking quarterback during draft weekend. Many of the club's veterans ? the most outspoken being S Kerry Rhodes ? came out in opposition to the team's flirtation with Jay Cutler before he was traded to the Bears, although that was largely an issue of Cutler's petulant behavior. If the Jets were to draft a quarterback, many of the vets who are peeved about not having gone to the playoffs each of the past two seasons are figuring that breaking in a rookie QB would only hurt their chances for a return to the postseason in 2009.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/NY+Jets/WWHI/2009/wwhi040909.htm

2. JohnnySample

JohnnySample New Member

For me it doesn't make sense that the Jets would draft a quarterback this year. On the roster right now are three athletic, strong armed, young guys that have potential, but are all yet unproven as sucessful NFL quarterbacks. Why add a fourth guy who is also unproven. Maybe a guy they could draft in this years first round has a better chance of making it than the guys they already have, but then again, maybe not. A whole lot of ex-first round QB's didn't prove out and are looking for work right now. Guys like Losman and Grossman come to mind immediately. I really think the Jets are going to use their draft picks this year for other needs.

3. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

NO rookie we would be able to draft this year would be ready to start for two years at best, so why draft a guy when we have three guys that can possibly be the guy we need.

I gave KC the benefit of the doubt even though Brett and Eric have a better prospect down the road.

In my opinion if a QB isn't ready to start within three seasons he will never be the guy you had hoped. Give Brett eight games to start and we will all forget about KC.

My second opinion is Eric who was the best QB out of the three in college and the most pro ready, so if Brett should fail why not give Eric eight games to try. By the start of the 2010 season we would know for sure if we have a starting caliber QB on the roster, unlike this year.

No way KC is the starter in 2010 even if he fools everyone to get the job at the start of this season. He will be back on the bench by mid season. Rex wants a cool pocket QB who will not commit mistakes, KC is a high strung scrambling QB who makes mistakes.

Lastly, you all are giving KC a pass because you say our OL was bad two years ago, I say it is very hard for any OL to block for a QB who is never where he should be "IN THE POCKET!"

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The o-line sucked ass, there is no doubt about it. 2 starters on that o-line couldn't even find a job in the NFL the following season as a 3rd stringer. That's how bad it was.

It's not like Clemens was scrambling around like Vick back there. He was getting crushed 2 seconds after getting the ball. Remember the play he got injured against the Pats? Ugh.

I don't know if Clemens will be the answer or not, but no QB could have done well behind that o-line.

5. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Please explain how you can stand in a pocket that is not there? Peyton Manning would have done no better with a Right Guard and Tackle that are not in football anymore and wallace wright and Brad Smith to throw too. Nobody that has ever stepped on a football field could have done well behind that mess!

6. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

This is the issue right here. How many projects can you develop at one time? We have guys now that are one, two and three years into the process, we have to let that process play out instead of just adding another guy to the back of the line. If a good veteran somehow becomes available between now and the season we of course have to look into it, but I don't see the draft as the answer. It's not like there's a can't-miss franchise QB there and even if there were we wouldn't get him picking at #17.

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

So you don't think that Kellen Clemens has improved after another season spent learning and preparing behind Brett Favre? I can't wait to see him play..

And plus, this is going to be a running team. We have a top 1-2 punch and we'll probably add another RB within the first few rounds too.

8. JohnnySample

JohnnySample New Member

Kellen Clemens biggest issue was his throwing accuracy. If he has made improvements in that area I expect that he will win the starting job.

9. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

That should have been a penalty.....

If that was Brady, the Jets player would have been penalized no doubt.

That play still pisses me off - Seymour put all his weight and pounded Clemens into the tuff.

10. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

He looked damn accurate hitting Justin McCareins hands to me!!!!!!

11. JohnnySample

JohnnySample New Member

Jet Blue that is a good point. His accuracy will automatically improve now that he has recievers who can catch.

And as for that first play against the Patriots in 2007, yeah that should have been a penalty on Seymour. Or at least should have been the year earlier. Did the NFL rules change in that area between those two years? Is it now okay to pile drive the quarterback?

12. Italian Seafood

That's one pass. He threw a lot of horrible ones to wide open guys, too, that should have been easy completions.

Also, the NE play should not have been a penalty, just a bad play by the O-line and the QB in that spot.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

yep... and does anyone remember the 4 foot passes to the ground even when there was a wide open receiver 8 feet away... that's inexcusable. A bad habit in 07.

This whole article is pure speculation... not one player has said shit about this situation. They are behind whoever in on the roster now but if a QB is drafted so be it. And who said that QB would be starting this year.... to think that any QB is going to lead the team to 11 wins is shortsighted, especially with the schedule this year. 9 wins is great progress for the new coach and QB. And the defense is expected to be top 10 this year.

14. kelly

kelly Banned

i'm with the vets. i don't think we're going qb in the draft.

cheers ~ ~
    [​IMG]

15. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

The pick will most likely be a RB. Think about it TJ wants more $$$$. LW also wants a big pay day. Moreno or Wells there at 17 1 a JET. Accomplishes the RB position for years to come. 2nd round Kenny Britt WR.

16. Italian Seafood

Everyone wants to focus on McCariens, like if he caught that ball Clemens would have had a Pro Bowl year or something. The last game Clemens played was at home vs Herm's Chiefs playing out the string. No pressure, no coverage, guys wide open, and he couldn't barely get a first down without taking off and running. He was missing open guys all over the field. If not for Thomas Jones we probably would have lost the game. Put up 13 or 16 points in five quarters.

I don't know. We won 9 games this past year and as good as Favre looked in flashes, over the 16 game haul it wouldn't take much to match the output from the QB. Maybe a few good plays Clemens or Ratliff doesn't make but maybe a whole lot of bad plays they don't make, either. The D should be improved and the running game and O-line should be the same, which was solid.

17. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I don't even understand what the point of that article was supposed to be. Sounds like a bunch of unsubstantiated drivel to me.

18. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

Yeah I say lets give the 3 QBs we have now the chance and see what we got if none of them work out next off season we can cut one and draft one knowing what we have on the table.

19. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

Amen.

Admit it... wouldnt it be nice to know... I mean REALLY KNOW... for a FACT... what those 3 QBs can or can't do?

Imagine: Next offseason, there is no debate, no what ifs, no 'so and so deserves a shot' etc etc. For that peace ALONE it is worth going into this one year with our current QBs just to answer all the questions and FINALLY strike gold OR move forward if we dont. We either HAVE a good QB now, or we don't. But we would KNOW. And if need be, we draft a qb NEXT year... when (by all accounts) the QB class will be deeper.

Thank you!

20. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

You better hope one of them is "it." Otherwise the conversation next season will be which prospect has the best chance to be "it."