Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Could you post a link to one Id like to read what they say bout him

2. ........

........ Trolls

Again, take these with a grain of salt. I have no idea how Austin would pan out for our team, but it's interesting. The move was a complete headscratcher for me the other day. Now, I just wonder what info I'm missing.

3. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

hmm thanks. Wonder if they have what Jets fans have looking at their team/player through rose colored glasses will be interesting to see how this develops

4. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

He's a good looking young receiver with some potential. But I definately don't think he's worth a 2nd round pick.

5. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Talked to a guy who does work for my company today first time in months. Hes a big Dallas Cowboy fan. He subscribes to all the Cowboy newspapers travels to Dallas 2-3 times a year to games. He claims Miles Austin is the heir apparent to replace T.O. All the reports coming out of Dallas is Jerry Jones was trying to hide this guy inder the radar. He claims if the JETS pull this off they will be stealing a WR with a bright future. Imagine that us getting a break once in awhile. Id do a 3rd for this guy based on what was I told.

6. ........

........ Trolls

That's what I've been hearing as well from some fans of the team. I have no idea whether it's true, but if it is, I don't think JJ lets him go. We'd have to sign him, give up the 2nd, and ensure Dallas doesn't match with a good old poison pill. If, and that's a big if, the Cowboys have been successful in developing him for the NFL (remember, he's a small college guy--no reason he should have succeeded before now as a project player), he'd be well worth the 2nd. We won't know how good of a deal it is either way until the season progresses.

7. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm

every pick is worth something, and you're ring analogy makes little sense. if you take the ring to an appraiser they will tell you it is WORTH nothing, and that you are an idiot for paying anything for it. just like many think that an unproven wr is not worth the value of a second round pick.

8. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

hah i like the chart. There is no sense arguing with him though, he will just say "You just don't get it", or try to insult your intelligence despite giving him definitions of worth and using analogies to offer comparison and put things in context.

I didn't understand the ring analogy either by the way, you give someone a numerical figure, doesn't mean he is deserving/"Worthy" of that numerical figure.

9. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Great so when I trade a player for a draft pick I use this chart, to, errr, this doesn't help. What is the "player" value of a draft pick? Give me a statistical figure or something....since you obviously know what a player is and is not worth when it comes to this...I assume you have a chart or system or something in place to determine a players value when it comes to draft picks right?

We're talking about worth, not what he deserves.

Since you both don't understand the ring analogy, I'll stupify it for you.

I have a rock. Just a normal, off a parking lot rock. You tell me you are willing to give me $1 million dollars for that rock. An appraiser tells me that rock isn't worth anything. What is that rocks "Worth"?

Answer: $1 million dollars. If you're dumb enough to pay it, that's what it's worth. The appraiser's opinion is negated by the fact that you GAVE me $1 million dollars for it. An arbitrary statement loses to actual cash in hand. By paying me said money, YOU have made that a million dollar rock. Appraiser becomes moot. Do I need to explain it any further?

#169 SyracuseJet, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  10. ........

........ Trolls

You also could have said that worth is individually determined and subjective. The rock has no intrinsic value. It's worth nothing to the appraiser, and $1 million to the buyer and, by extension, to you. Really, there's no way to measure objective worth. However, one could argue the only values that matter are those of the buyer and the seller.

11. ukilledkenny

your just spinning your tires. because someone is stupid enough to pay a certain price for something does not make it worth anything in the real world. i know your mad i showed that picks do have set values but don't let that distract you.

and since you don't understand what im talking about at all ill stupify it for you. lets say tanny decides austin is worth the pick and a contract. he comes into camp and he isn't very good, he ends up struggling against starting corners because he has never faced them before. when he gets benched for his poor performance that would be the coaches way of saying he wasn't worth the pick/contract he was given.

12. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I wouldn't be too thrilled with this signing. I didn't take this thread really seriously til it was mentioned in another thread that there is a very strong possibility we may part ways with our 2nd for Miles.

I watch every football game during the season that they broadcast on FOX, CBS, ESPN and NFL network. I've watched at least 75% of the Cowboys games last year that was broadcasted on those channels and by no means does Austin Miles stick out to me in my mind with the exception of the Packers game.

Having that 2nd round pick allows us to go BPA in the first, and fill a need/add much needed depth with the 2nd whether that be on the offensive side of the ball or defense.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don't know if you've stupified that argument, but it is f'ing stupid and defies any semblance of logic or a rational argument.

one of the basics of logic is that if you have to depend on an extreme, which creating a scenario in which one person would value a plain rock a $1 million dollars just so it conveniently fits your position, clearly is, than the argument is illogical. and yet you assert it as if you have detailed a sound argument. sorry, you haven't.

14. ukilledkenny

you don't get it, if i wanna pay 8 billion trillion dollars for a bag of rocks than that bag is worth 8 billion trillion dollars.:wink:

15. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Thank you. :beer:

16. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

hahah too funny.

17. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

As someone sort of said already, you guys are arguing intrinsic worth versus market value.

As for market value, remember the guard market two season ago. Dockery got a big deal which many people believed was too rich, i.e. he wasn't worth that much. However, his deal set the market and other guards were able to get big deals because that is what the market was paying for a starting guard.

18. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Who is Austin Miles?

19. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

You showed that picks have set values for other picks...NOT players. But that's besides the point.

I'm done arguing about this. You're touched. Enjoy.

Didn't see this:

You're finally catching on.

#179 SyracuseJet, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  20. ukilledkenny

you asked what the value of a second round pick was so i showed you, you didn't like the answer and now want me to go invent a new more acceptable answer. your argument sucks, and is basically saying that no team has ever made a bad deal in any sport ever because they thought it was a good idea at the time.