Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

You just don't get it.

2. ReservoirDog76

ReservoirDog76 New Member

You're worth what someone is willing to pay you.

Done.

End of story.

Next topic.

3. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Rather then get into an economics debate, I'm going to bring it back to Austin. He's got great size, great speed and has improved every year. For Jones to cut TO he had to think alot of Austin that he could step up and be a #2. At this point the only receiver I see being available in the 2nd round is Robiske, and I don't see possession receiver being the type we need. So with that, I would give up my 2nd rounder for Austin who I think would be very good.

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

1. I don't give a shit that only 4 people think Miles Austin is worthy of a second rounder. He's a RFA tendered as a 2nd rounder...if the coaching staff/front office makes this move, then that's all that matters. Someone earlier said it best: If you think a player is worth it, go out and get him.

2. I thought we were debating? I am for trading for a potentially good wideout and for some reason you think we should use that draft pick on an untested, unproven rookie - I never said I was right...I just feel strongly that Miles Austin can be a good player.

3. A mediocre Fresno team dom'd Rutgers in '08. What is your job by the way? I hope to god you're not a writer.

4. How does Miles Austin compare to Justin McCareins? They're both RFA receivers that require a second rounder...but what else?

#144 Mr Electric, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  5. ibleedgreen7476

I stole this, but I totally agree with this guys comments 100%

Okay let's follow the logic of the idiots posting here against selecting Miles. You'd rather give up a first rounder for an unproven, untested wr at 17? For a guy like Bey who isn't as tall or has the speed or weight Miles has but you are against giving up a SECOND rounder for a guy who proved he has terrific break away speed, great hands and really good size. A guy who has number one reciever potential. You twits just need to go watch cartoons or something and leave Football comments to those who know what they're talking about.

Miles has demonstrated amazing catching ability and break away moves. He's 24, 6 ft 3 inches and near 220 LBS. If all the Jets give up is a second rounder? You should be thanking the Football Gods for giving us a gift like this. Because otherwise we'd waste a 1st or a second rounder on a guy who had a 50/50 shot at BEST at even STARTING in the NFL. Those are the FACTS.

Now if you get Miles and give up a second rounder in round 1 you can get Chris Wells RB from Ohio State or Moreno from GA and subsequently trade Thomas Jones to Arizona or whoever because TJ is becoming a greedy twit. The Jets get younger, better and faster at WR and younger and more stable future wise at RB. That would be a dream draft. Either that or nab Tyson Jackson DE who could be a huge help.

6. HOI

HOI Active Member

I went to college with Miles in NJ...had a few classes with him. He was king shit at a rather small school as you would expect but grounded and a hell of a nice guy. I think he would be a great addition.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

He produced in limited playing time against NFL caliber talent on a team in which he was the 3rd option at best.
    Give me a break with all the negitive bullshit against picking up a player who's proven he has the talent and potential to be a very good WR in this league.
    Oh i get it, i'm a moron for not wanting some untested, unproven draft pick from Asswipe State. Let's just use a 2nd round pick on the "pick of the week" rookie who we MAY get on the field a few times this year instead of a big quick guy who the Cowboys seem to clearly think has enough potential to warrent being tagged as a RFA.
    Go watch some tape of Austins play. Maybe you'll learn something.

8. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

I'm not arguing that Miles Austin is not a good receiver. But according to some of the posters who have already posted, a week or two ago they were set on Clowney. We have guys on our roster, that have shown great things and haven't been given the chance, just like Miles Austin. The difference, is that Clowney is already on our roster. The only thing I am suggesting and other people have suggested as well, is that it's hard to give away a second rounder for a guy that has been a project player and hasn't caught a lot of balls (1/3 of his receiving yards came in one game). Yeah he has shown glimpses of great catch ability and does have good size. I am not saying or proposing going after a wide receiver in round 1 or two, and that it substitutes and compares for Miles Austin. I am saying, there is a number of things we can do with a round 2 pick, possibly trade up higher into the 2nd round, grab a BPA that slid into the second round.

However, your argument works both ways. You talk about not drafting a wide receiver, because there chances of becoming a great player are 50-50 and they're unproven, but you want to trade away the AFC east's leading rusher to draft Chris Wells, who is constantly hurt, and also, unproven. I love Moreno, and I would be very happy if we got him, but the argument is the same, he is unproven. I am not trying to piss anyone off, and Mr. E, I've agreed with most of your posts in the past, especially when it comes to the draft, and on these boards I never try to offend anyone, but there is a lot of hype about Miles Austin and the only thing I am suggesting is that there are a couple of receivers on our roster that are in the same position... shown great things, good quickness and speed, very good potential but just hidden on the roster. I'm not sure how the raiders get a 4th rounder for Moss, who was a previous pro-bowler but Dallas gets a 2nd for Miles Austin.

9. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

Why don't we just trade away all of our draft pics for NFL guys so that we don't need to risk unproven guys coming out of college? According to your theory, you make it seem like there is no point in the draft. Just because the cowboy's and Jerry Jones think he's the next big thing, doesn't mean its a fact. Rex Ryan and Jet's players have also has stated they see a lot of potential in Clowney and Stuckey stepping up this year. Yeah wide receiver is still a need, but the "tape" and "highlights" you suggest, are rather short from his experience.

no one suggested your a Moron by the way, it's just a difference of opinion. Thats all. It's just a question of high risk/high reward, and some people, such as myself, don't want to risk a second rounder on a guy that I haven't seen much of. I'd rather go after a guy like Braylon Edwards who recently the Brown's have talked about trying to get rid of for some kind of compensation. I'm using Braylon only as an EXAMPLE, because yeah he drops some balls, but he's proven he can put up a lot of TD's and impact his football team significantly. Thats just my point of view, and what I personally would feel much better about doing.

#149 Jet21, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  10. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

By the way Mr. E, just to let you know because you asked, I thought you knew because a while back in a draft thread I had mentioned it, I work with the Strength and Conditioning team for Rutger's Football Program. I came in as a grad assistant and work with the physical rehab/med staff at the Rutgers games. I also helped train guys like Tiquan Underwood, Rice, and Britt get ready for the NFL Draft. I'm very good friends with Kenny and still keep in pretty good touch with Ray Rice as I worked with him at the Parisi Speed School and Rutgers quite often.

11. ........

........ Trolls

Thank you for the kind words. I thought the word "verticle" looked funny. It amused me. I actually responded to the statement in the very next sentence. I appreciate the unnecessary clarification, though.

12. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

My question is, Huh? Why?

Miles Austin is at best a wannabe with bad starts. If the Cowboys are ambivalent, then why are ya'll paying so much attention....

I mean, really...

13. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The Cowboys apparently love Miles Austin...they aren't "ambivalent"...he hasn't done much in his first three seasons because he was a project player, much like Wes Welker, Lance Moore, and our very own David Clowney.

Austin offers something that the three previous players don't: height.

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

The Jets should look at me too.

My name is Myles.

Myles Long.

15. Jserr4802

Jserr4802 New Member

Miles has shown flashes recently, I think in our system he would do quite well, remember he was overshadowed by T.O.,creighten,williams, really never got a chance.

16. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

If that truly is the case then they are unlikely to let him go unless some team were to grossly overpay for his services which I trust most rational folks would not sanction.

#156 Altoona, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I'll give you a 5th..........................of whiskey

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That's a terrible post to steal. He's overrating Austin a lot. The guy has a lot of potential, but he's very inconsistent. He's not a very good route runner and that has a pretty significant affect on his ability to get open.

I'm not advocating drafting some high-risk wideout, but there should probably be a couple high on their value chart should they fall to the Jets. Same with some runningbacks and defensive players.

But to give away 2nd round pick for a guy who has shown potential and not much more screams of the Terry Bradway approach. I'd hate to give up a 2nd for this guy.

19. ........

........ Trolls

FWIW, the Cowboys message boards are all over the possibility of him leaving for a 2nd...and they hate the idea. For whatever reason, Cowboys fans (Jets and Boys excepted) love the guy and feel he's well worth the 2nd and more.

20. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I had a quick look on some Boys message boards and i saw the same thing, hate is a under statement, they are ready to riot if this happens, so there must be some serious talent there, the owner is high on him, the fans are high on him, so lets hope our management are high on him after today and tomorrows work out. :up: