Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Not for a 2nd. Maybe a 4th if that.

Consistent track record of success in the league. I guess this doesn't count for much anymore if you have a blazing 40 time or can bench 225 30 times. Style over substance.

2. ........

........ Trolls

Given your dual fandom, I give more credence to what you say about him. This is a rather ringing denouncement. Personally, I like our chances of filling the need in the draft if we don't get Holt or Boldin (unlikely, but if it really only took a first, sign me up). There should be good value available at one of our first 3 picks. I'm still curious about Louis Murphy if anyone would care to comment on his ability and potential.

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

That basically sums up the last three times we drafted in the top ten. We took workout warriors over football players.

4. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I would rather draft a guy

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The last two times we got D'Brick and Gholston. Neither were workout warriors and both were projected at their spots well before the combine.

I don't remember who the third was.

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Murphy has big-time ability. It's just a question of durability. 6'3 205 and a slight frame. Needs to get in the weight room. His 40 time was 4.32 at the combine so he's a speedster, track guy. Scored the first TD in the title game for Florida. Confident, borderline cocky kid. Think he could turn into a nice pro if he gets stronger.

7. KSJets

KSJets New Member

DBust Robertson

8. WhiteShoeWillis

^ Definitely a workout warrior.

9. ........

........ Trolls

Thanks. I saw him listed at 6'2", but if he's an inch taller he definitely needs some more bulk. I remembered him from the Championship game, but not from the other Florida games I've watched in the past couple of seasons. If his route running is decent, sounds like he'd be worth it in the 3rd.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Only during the offseason does a thread about Miles Austin get past 2 pages.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Hahahaha...This is hillarious. Success? What success? 18 catches in 3 yrs? an avg of 6 catches a yr. I wouldn't get him for a fourth either. He may turn out to be good, which nobody knows. He could be the next Chrebet for the Cowboys but I wouldn't give up a second for a maybe.

If we knew what Brady would turn out to be, I bet you there would be teams lining up to give up their next 5 first rounders to the Browns for the first overall pick. Even we would have given up our 4 first rounders to move to the first, plus more.

I have seen him play. He is not terrible, but it's like giving up a second for David Clowney. No one would do that. He can't beat out Patrick Crayton and Crayton is no pro bowler.

12. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Dude, Im just glad you changed your avatar. Now I can read your posts.

13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

First of all... Chrebet? WTF? At what point does he compare to Chrebet? They are no where near comparable in a physical stand point, so hopefully you were meaning production stand point?

Patrick Crayton is a veteran, someone who has paid his dues to be the third reciever on a team. Who said Austin can't beat out Crayton? Maybe he just hasn't been given a legit chance yet... Surely that couldn't be it though.. :/

It happens all the time. You have vets on your team, you tend to stick to a formula that has had success in the past. It kinda happened to Cotchery during the Herm years. It happens all the time.

14. pender30

pender30 Member

Is that a joke? Gholston is the definition of a workout warrior and his stock soared after his combine workout.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Wow...I only said he COULD be the next Chrebet just because he went undrafted. I didn't say he WILL be the next Chrebet. Chrebet was undrafted and so is Miles Austin. Thats where I was trying to make a comparison, not based on production.

I'm pretty sure the Cowboys see him in practice everytime and if they thought he was better than Crayton, then he would have been their #2 WR by now after TO left. Not the case. You don't sit an obvious starter on the bench just because you wanna give you vets a go.

Cotch was progressing every year. I actually think you are comparing him to Cotch. 12 catches in MAs third yr. 82 catches in JCs 3rd yr. For second yr, Cotch had 19 catches and Miles had 6.

16. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

You have to look at it as in the draft, is there going to be a better receiver available in the 2nd round? I don't think there is which is why I wouldn't hesitate to make this happen.

17. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

There were projections as early as last January of him going to us at #6. I'd post links, but most mock places update the site of prior mocks and thus all old mocks are lost. Sure, he gained more popularity among fans after the combine due to his numbers, but he was projected in the top 10 in I'd say 80% of mocks before the combine. Of course, that number went to close to 100% after.

18. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I'd hesitate due to my preference to grab Brian Robiskie out of OSU. If not for Terelle Pryor in his senior year, he'd have a lot more production and would likely be a borderline first rounder. Also, I wouldn't want to trade for him and then have Maclin fall onto our laps in the first; we'd be kicking ourselves.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

Gholston was projected to go to the Jets at #6 long before the combine. It's a common myth that he's nothing but a workout warrior.

20. Jet21

Jet21 New Member

Ok, he didn't climb the depth charts. TO left. He was there number 4 receiver. Number 3 before Roy Williams. He will compete with crayton for the number 2 position. A 2nd rounder is very steep already. I'm not sure when you have seen him play ALOT other than a punt returner, he doesn't get the ball a lot.