Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I haven't read anywhere that the Jets think he is worth a second rounder. He has a second round tender on him as a RFA. That doesn't mean we can't offer the 'boys a 4th. It just means that if we sign him without working out a trade, then we have to give up a 2nd.

Brad Johnson also started 3 games...and he was behind TO and Roy Williams for much of the year. I know of his value from FF, but don't get to watch him much. If 'byz says he lacks concentration, then I gotta believe that seeing as he's the only one here that claims to have seen him play on more than a once in a while basis. Still, I think a fourth would be a worthwhile risk.

2. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

your changing the meaning of someone saying "he isn't worth it." when i say he isn't worth a second i mean that his production will not be worth the value of that second round pick, be it trade value, or the player drafted at that spot.

just because some idiot will spend $500 on a fake diamond ring doesn't make it worth $500.

3. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

Do you even know what words mean before you post them? Or do you just use them to sound like you are educated?

Perennial MEANS LONG TERM YOU JACKASS.

A Perennial band-aid? What in fucks sake is a perennial band-aid... one you keep on for 5 years?

I hate you... specifically for reasons as such.

I wont even get into the usage of pacify... holy shit...

#83 The Green Dude, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  4. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I'd offer a 5th and a conditional next year based solely on gametime and production not to exceed a third (we go deep into playoffs).

5. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Ok, what's the value of 2nd Round Pick? I want a numerical or production level value.

And the fake diamond is worth what somebody is willing to pay. You get it out of a gumball machine and I offer $1 million for it, it's a million dollar ring, I don't understand why that's such a complicated concept.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but people toss the word "Worth" around when it comes to players with-out having any perspective of what they're saying.

6. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Pretty much what I've been thinking on my end. 2nd round tender does not mean it will cost a 2nd no matter what.

I'm very iffy on this, but one thing to take into consideration is that in the past few weeks, the Jets have also worked out most of the top WR prospects in the draft. If, from these workouts, they conclude that Austin is a better "prospect" for us than any of the other guys, I could see them swinging a deal. I trust these guys in their talent evaluation, especially when it comes to the draft, so I wouldn't be too angered if this doesn't work out.

I Honestly haven't seen enough of Austin to judge either way. His highlights posted earlier in the thread are pretty nice, but as of this point I'd still rather try for Kenny Britt or Brian Robiskie in the 2nd if we're going to spend that particular pick on a receiver (assuming Dallas would only take the 2nd to getr this done). A 3rd or lower and I'm certainly more open to the prospect of this trade.

7. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I'd offer a 5th (meant this year) and a conditional next year based solely on gametime and production not to exceed a third (we go deep into playoffs).

I like the try and buy approach because it reduces your chances of getting burnt. As a Jets fan we have seen this too many times. The last major one was Jolley, and drafting Nugent in the second. Schlagle was bad, too, but that did not involve a trade.

8. brothermoose

Great point. Having that basis of comparison goes a long way in the FO making the best decision. The thing is, and I said this earlier but it may have been misinterpreted, that he is probably the most "ready to help us now" receiver when set against the backdrop of rookie prospects. I know his ceiling may not be as high, but we desperately need someone who is ready to help us right away.

Not even sure if a 3rd is worth it the more I think about it. I'd rather give up a 1st for Boldin or sign Torry Holt.

edit: I got some Britt love too, but a lot of guys around here say his skills are questionable...any idea why?

9. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I'm not inclined to part with a second round pick for a player whom I feel at best is a number 2 wideout and quite possibly someone who may just add a modicum of experience and depth. I'd rather pay a similar amount of money on a one year deal to try and bring Keyshawn out of retirement than part with a second rounder.

10. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Also a good point and a check in his favor. The majority of the top receiver prospects are likely to take some time due to route running issues and other concerns considering transferring from a college offense to a pro offense.

I don't think his skills can really be questioned; his ball skills (ie positioning) and body control are both very good if not great, and he knows how to run after the catch and go over the middle. I personally think that the main thing that keeps him down on peoples' draft boards are his hands, as he does drop a lot of balls. I personally believe that this is probably due to concentration issues, and a good coach could likely improve on this. He's also a bit of a diva, but you're going to find that with most top receivers and it's not such a big deal to me. He's also a bit slower on the field than his 40 times have been showing, but he still has shown some breakaway speed and possibly just needs to be taught on how to use that in traffic.

Personally, talent-wise I think he compares almost strikingly to Terrell Owens; a possession receiver with some breakaway speed and YAC ability whose main knock on the field will be his concentration and ability to consistently make the catch. It's anyone's guess as to how his attitude blossoms in the NFL, but I highly doubt it would be as volatile as TO.

#90 MobiusOne28, Apr 8, 2009
  11. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I very much agree with you on the highlighted points above which makes me feel a bit uncertain about getting him if he costs us a 2nd rounder. While I would agree that the chances of drafting a ready to start WR in the 2nd round is against us, the approach overlooks the potentially greater value of using that 2nd round pick to draft a player able to make an immediate and more significant impact at another position such as DE, OLB, RB, S, NT etc.

12. ras91dub

ras91dub Guest

:cool:

#92 ras91dub, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2020
  13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I can't belive this thread got to 5 pages and your the only one to mention this. The jets are looking into him. In no way did they offer him a contract or even begin to talk about value. Jeezus are we so bored we jump on any fucking thing around here.

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I used to watch him at Monmouth. I couldn't believe he made it to the NFL, much less seems to carry as much value as he does.

15. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

If you HATE me put me on IGNORE professor. If not STFU. The latest.........

It'll be interesting to see how badly the Jets want Dallas Cowboys restricted free agent wide receiver Miles Austin. If the Jets really covet the former Monmouth University star, they'll likely insert an infamous "poison pill'' into any offer sheet to him.

A "poison pill" is a clause inserted in an offer sheet to a restricted free agent that makes it almost impossible for a team to match the offer.

In fact, it was Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum who is regarded in many circles as the man who fathered the idea. In 1998, Tannenbaum, then a little-know salary cap whiz, put together a brilliant six-year, $36-million offer sheet to then-Patriots running back Curtis Martin that included a "poison pill" that forced the Patriots to let him go.

That clause was a provision in which Martin could become an unrestricted free agent the following season if the Patriots matched the offer, allowing him to leave New England without the Patriots receiving a dime. Also, the deal included a $3.3 million roster bonus that would've wrecked the Patriots' salary cap.

New England let Martin go and he went on to become the most prolific running back in Jets' history. The Patriots received a first- and third-round pick from the Jets.

Tannenbaum and the representatives for Austin have undoubtedly already had discussions concerning a potential offer sheet. Austin signed a one-year, $1.54 million tender offer with the Cowboys. If Dallas decides not to match, it would receive a second-round pick (52nd overall) from the Jets.

Reportedly, Austin will visit the Jets Thursday. The restricted free agent signing period ends on April 17th.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

God....please....noway. Noway we give up a second for someone who couldn't even start for the Cowboys when Crayton was the #2 WR. Absolutely not. I will kill someone, before I'll root for the Jets if they went ahead with this.

OK I think Im gonna go throw up now...

17. brothermoose

So we should put you down as a "nay"?

18. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

I agree this seems senseless and stupid. T.O was a free agent we passed. Chad Johnson available for a 3rd. And the JETS want Miles Austin WTF??????????????????

Sam Hurd, UFA, Dallas Cowboys
    Brandon Jones, UFA, Tennessee Titans
    Ashley Lelie, UFA, Denver Broncos
    Shaun McDonald, UFA, Detroit Lions
    Koren Robinson, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
    Amani Toomer, UFA, New York Giants
    Miles Austin RFA Dallas Cowboys
    Dane Looker UFA St Louis Rams

Id rather they get Ashley Lelie for free.

#98 JETSFAN1290, Apr 8, 2009
  19. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

He was undrafted in 2006. Why on earth is he carrying a 2nd round tender? For his 18 catches in 3 seasons or for his 20 dropped catches? I have seen him play in Dallas for last three years. Actually I have seen him not play in Dallas. He is worse than Justin McFuckmyhands and we are even considering him for a second? For a 7th rounder, maybe. For a 6th, we'd be pushing it. Anything more than that then no questions asked, NO. I mean we backed out of Cutlers deal cuz it was too costly. Now we would actually give up a second?

20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

So many overreact on these things. Who cares? Dumber decesions have been made by this organization, this isn't the dumbest I would've ever seen.

It is hilarious when I read that we should give up that 2nd round pick for Chad Johnson instead.. haha

Why? I think we would want to get someone for the long term with our 2nd rounder, not short term. Johnson is old and will be hampered by injuries the rest of his carreer. He is not worth it. He isn't even all that good to be honest.

MA is going to be a good one, size, speed, good hands, why not make the move?