Jets looking at Miles Austin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SyracuseJet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I would do it in a heartbeat. He is going to be better then anyone we could get with our current 2nd round pick. I have seen him play a lot and I really think he is going to be a big name WR in this league.

Not many WR's could make a name for themselves with top teir WR's like the Cowboy's have, yet, he is good enough to slowly climb up that depth chart, even with the top teir talent standing in his way.

In a year or two I would be willing to bet his value will be VERY steep, get him while he is cheap. Benefit from this situation, I never thought this scenario would play out, but I was hoping. I would be so excited.

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

How does this guy command a 2nd rounder? Fuck that, pursue Ocho Cinco for less than that, if we are to trade for a WR. I'd still like to go WR in Rd 1.

3. SoFlaJets

SoFlaJets Member

considering New England traded a 4th rounder to Oakland for Randy Frickin Moss I'd say what are they fucking insane?

Terry Bradway and Herman Edwards are no longer running things around here

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Doug Jolly was buried in the Oakland depth chart. Maybe there was a reason he was buried.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Good lord. Everything you said, I remember hearing the same about Matthew Hatchette.... *vomit*

6. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Guys, I hope you realize how insanely ridiculous you all sound. You want to spend a 2nd round pick on MILES AUSTIN. Read that sentence a few times and let it sink in. Even if you thought he was a 2nd round value, you don't use a pick like that on a guy that has been buried on the depth chart for years. The only reason that he has that kind of tender is because they want someone to overpay for him. They'll listen to trade talks and it won't cost a 2nd rounder. Anyone would be absolutely stupid to use a 2nd rounder, especially since you can get him for a lot less. Regardless, he lacks way too much concentration, so I'll pass on him. For those saying he's better than any WR you'll get in the 2nd round, I don't think you can really make a fair argument with that. He may have more NFL experience, but hell you can say that about every WR in the NFL.

7. J-Kay

J-Kay New Member

I know you can't put too much stock into these kind of things, but the Cowboys really like Austin. Jerry claims he only felt comfortably dropping Owens because he had Austin. Plus all the Boys fans I've asked have said they would be very hesitant to move him. I think if we make an offer, Jerry will ensure that is is matched.

As for my opinion of Austin, if we get him ok, but if we don't I'm just as happy. Getting him would free us up to draft Gilbert/Jackson, but I don't feel he has quite the potential of some of the WRs we can get. I think he'll be a solid #2, but we need more than that.

8. It is painfully obvious that this franchise does not think highly of taking WR's in the first round.We traded for Hatchette and Mccareins when we had probable first round wr's staring us in the face during those respective draft classes..and even last year we took Keller over guys like Hardy and Sweed.

If this was a one time thing..I'd be all for it. Miles has alot of potential and in theory the move makes sense.But history tends to repeat itself when it comes to this franchise. A second round pick seems pretty steep to me and there's no reason to believe(based on history) that Austin will be any different than hatchette and Mccareins who were similar players status/potential wise and completely flopped.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The Doug Jolley move is one of the worst moves of all time - I have no idea why it was made.

However, Jolley wasn't buried on the Raiders' depth chart - he started 48 straight games for the Raiders and never recorded more than 32 cathces in a season.

Statistically, his season in New York was his second best season only behind his rookie year in Oakland.

This guy didn't offer much in Oakland, and didn't offer much in New York -- the Jets got what they overpaid for: a mediocre-at-best receiving tight end.

10. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Miles Austin/Justin McCareins no thanks. Id rather have Chad Johnson.

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

First, what's wrong with the Dustin Keller pick? Apparently, the Bills have already given up on James Hardy and Limas Sweed was basically the receiver version of Vernon Gholston when it comes to rookie production.

Secondly, your second paragraph is so off - that's what's wrong with some Jet fans - they think "history repeats itself". Seriously, man?

We all know what kind of player Wes Welker is for the Patriots. The guy had ZERO catches in his first two NFL seasons. The Pats gave up two picks for him, a second and a seventh...they haven't looked back.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

My girl is a Cowboys fan, so I watched them more than I would otherwise have bothered, and Miles Austin did not stand out to me at all. He's decent, has good size and athletic ability, but he just wasn't that good. There's a reason the Cowboys traded for Roy Williams in the middle of the season, and it wasn't because they were preparing to get rid of TO at the time. Austin and Sam Hurd are depth receivers at best from what I have seen.

This guy does remind me a lot of Justin McCareins, good comparison, MrE.

Hatchette's another one! :up:

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I've watched Austin play and can tell you he's a versitile reciever. Good special teams guy, also. Giving up a 2nd is pretty steep but it wouldn't totally kill me. He's a big guy with good hands who makes plays. I had him on my fantasy team last season and he did pretty well.

14. abyzmul

I can only see us getting this guy if we end up trading a lower pick for him, I would be pissed if we traded our 2nd.

15. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Why bother hes no more talented than Clowney or Stuckey keep the pick or trade it for Chad JOhnson.

16. abyzmul

I hate that idea. I think Ocho Stinko is going to be a mess of injuries for the rest of his career.

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I agree. 85 is better with his mouth then he ever was on the field. The guy is way way way overrated. I wouldn't want him for a jug of Gatorade.

#58 Jersey Joe 67, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  18. GriffDog

GriffDog Member

If the coaching staff thought it was worth it I would have no problem getting him. He is big,fast and has the expierence. I would rather stick to Stuckey and Clowney and go after a number one in the first round but if they take another route and sign this guy I wouldn't be too upset.

19. I have no problem w/ Keller nor the selection.Frankly he's my fav. player on the team. I was simply bringing to the forefront that the jets dont think highly on taking WR's early. The Keller scenario is a prime example of this.

As for history repeating itself: I've been screaming for us to finally take a chance on a franchise QB and/or big time playmaker for years now. I SCREAMED at the jets fans that were scared of taking Darren Mcfadden in last year's draft...and I thought the opposition to trading for Cutler was ridiculous. W/ that said, This would be the THIRD time we've taken basically the exact same risk...if this fails...heads should roll in the FO.