Is this the 'man' Jets fans coveted so much?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BomberJet, Apr 5, 2009.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

In my opinion, time will show that this is was a blessing in disguise. Ratliff will win the job and end up being the real deal and we will all look back and say, "Thank God, we didn't trade for Cutler and go down another dead end.

Time for God to smile on us, and he just did.

2. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Great article which sums up exactly why I didn't want Cutler.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He is a good QB, I don't think anyone (but a few) were trying to make him out to be a complete garbage QB. I personally think he is over-rated, but that doesn't mean I think he is bad either.

If he was someone proven, with a Super Bowl ring, I could see giving up that much for him. The problem is, he has a lot of question marks in regards to how far he can take his team in any given season, so far, he has failed.

Hell, if he was proven to be an elite QB even, I wouldn't mind giving up that much for him, but he's far from elite status.

No matter how you look at it, you got two really stupid GM's, willing to sell their franchise growth, for just one player. He drew interest and he got traded for a HUGE package, but I personally believe he only got that because the Bears were that stupid.

So glad he's a Bear.

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Even the guys arguing against it in the Cutler thread admitted he was top 10. He had a good number of comebacks from behind, which shows his fortitude. At this point it comes down to whether you think an extra pick was worth it or not. And that won't be proven until the end.

But to say they got fleeced as this hyperbolic fool is intimating is just that, sillyness.

5. RevisOfNazareth

RevisOfNazareth New Member

It's better Cutler is a Bear..the man's a dick, and that's only based on a personal story I heard about his college days. Whether or not he's a great qb, only time will tell, and we'll see soon..he's on the right track. But I am very concerned as to the answer to OUR QB situation, as I am sure most of you are.

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

great post, better point. i dont give a shit how its done but i would really enjoy a superbowl and a real contending team a few times before i go and die.

8. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Im happy we passed on that whiney douche... He's not a leader or a champ he's a sore loser and lacks sportmanship on the field and off.

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

There's a million reasons to not cry over spilt milk. None of that is a reasonable excuse for failing to get a top notch young QB to build this team around in 4 off seasons.

10. section134

section134 Active Member

all this talk about the jets giving up too many draft choices to get cutler is bull

when the jets got parcells and curtis martin from the pats the jets had to give up a ton of draft picks THOSE DEALS WERE WELL WORTH IT

i would have topped the bears package ----just to get cutler was well worth it

to get quality you have to give up quality-----just like we did for parcells and martin

11. Perhaps this becomes a blessing in disguise.

W/ that said...why do people fail two acknowledge that we've been w/o a franchise QB for at least 20 years(you can make an argument for KOB) and more likely nearly 40 years?

There's this collection of jet fans that literally wont be happy w/ ANY potential QB that requires a FA contract, draft pick or trade. Is it fear of failure? Is it the expectation that a perfect QB is gonna magically fall from the sky?

I hate talking about the QB position and I have always felt is overrated by the media and mainstream fans..but w/ that said it IS the most important position on the football field. The franchise we all happen to root for has been w/o a true franchise guy there for quite sometime(as stated above). It has CLEARLY been this team's achilles heel for a long,LONG time. So why were so many so reluctant to take a gamble and shore up this issue?

12. ........

........ Trolls

For those saying they would have traded for Cutler only if he were a proven young SB winner or contender, there's a reason QBs like that simply aren't available: their teams have all of the pieces in place. Cutler was available in the first place because he was one of only four pieces Denver had in place. We looked, the price was too high, we moved on. That doesn't change the fact that he was the best FA option at the position that we're likely to see for a very long time.

13. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

yeah... but most here would rather pat themselves on the back, about how good we did not giving up anyone, and they'll be the first ones complaining about how bad we are, when we are home for the post season, AGAIN. As far as I'm concerned, the 2 QBs we have on the roster are barely NFL quality QB's, let alone 16 game starters, or, like some people here are stating... future pro-bowlers... thats pure fantasy, or dilusion... take your pick.

#33 Mehl-56, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  14. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Great Article. The Ny Media would eat this kid alive after a bad game and he would not be able to deal with it.

15. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

I understand some people's skepticism regarding going into the season with a big "?" at the QB position, but I don't know how anyone could completely write off the possibility of KC or BR becoming a good starting QB in this league. If you want to give up on Clemens based on the games he started in 07 - okay, at least you have some actual playing time to judge the guy on, though I still think he deserves another chance - but how can you say that the possibility of Ratliff becoming an NFL quality QB is fantasy and delusion? Especially with the confidence that Ryan and Co. seem to be showing in our two prospects, I just don't get that point of view. What do you base that on?

16. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

he played like crap, bad o line or not the kid was terrible. he could not beat out chad pennington last year. he did not show anything. the kid ratliff if you remember the reports played better than him all camp.

ratliff is COMPLETELY and totally UNPROVEN, he has NEVER shown anything that would tell anyone that he is a nfl caliber qb.

but jets fans in their rose colored glasses are saying that one of these guys could be a good qb, a great qb, a pro bowl qb even a hall of fame qb..... but they cant tell you which one of them.

that is how completely fucking retarded the conversations about the qbs are. that is people wanting something with all their heart and thinking that simply wanting it will make it come true.

ill bet many of these same people bought a 500k house when they could only afford a 300k house. but thats another thread in another section.

17. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

You base it on the fact thats what you have to do as the head-coach. You can go running around saying we are in some deep shit, we got no QB... at least not publically...

18. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I rest my case.

19. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The article reminds us that even Dan Snyder, the ultimate mark and patsy, was outbid. I had forgotten that. He was willing to give up Jason Campbell and multiple picks. That pretty much shows you what Tannenbaum was up against.

So, the point is not, "Same old Jets... don't have a franchise QB... should have gotten him... yadda, yadda...," the point is, we couldn't get him. It's not that Tanny wasn't interested, he was. But he was unwilling to give away the farm. Makes perfect sense to me and I'm okay with that. That's smart football, so let's move TF on and see what else developes.

20. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

see....common sense DOES exist on the board. Good call, 227....