Juaquin Iglesias

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CatoTheElder, Apr 3, 2009.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I like Juaquin Iglesias.. He seems like another NFL-ready WR that can step in right away. IMO he's comparable to Jerricho Cotchery or Hakeem Nicks. I think he'd be a solid 2nd round choice

2. jetsfaneh

jetsfaneh New Member

+1. You nailed it. People who dismiss this guy are really over looking him. He is quite polished and can contribute right away. Too many on this board get wrapped up in measurables. Like any WR the Jets take need to be 6'3 running a 4.40. Iglesias will not be a sexy pick but would be a solid pick. I will borrow a line from Mike Mayock here. "A lower ceiling but a higher floor". Someone like Barden has a higher ceiling but a lower floor. Boom or bust type. A player like Iglesias will never be a Fitzgerald but could be a solid #2 guy for years to come.

3. JetFanInPA

I think some of this stems from their lack of pass rush also. Nobody on the team had more then 5 sacks if I'm recalling correctly..

You have to factor in that DRC made the jump from Division II to starting in the NFL - not to mention the Super Bowl - as well. He made some terrific plays down the stretch that indicate he could become a great player.

Is he a top CB now? No. Does he have the potential to be? Yes

4. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

They were a middle of the pack team with 31 total sacks -- the Baltimore Ravens and Atlanta Falcons only had three more with 34...both ATL and BAL had much better pass defenses.

I know I can't blame all of their defensive woes on him, but he was beat A LOT in '08.

I'll stick by what I said before and after he was drafted - he's overrated. DRC definitely didn't deserve to go as high as he did.

5. JetFanInPA

"A lower ceiling but a higher floor" ... I love that! I'm not the biggest Mayock fan but that's solid.

Personally, I tend to like guys that seem to have what it takes to jump from college to the pros smoothly. Of course, there's no formula for this and if there was then there would be no busts or sleepers..

But when looking at a prospective NFL wideout, I look at how reliable his hands are, his toughness, how well he runs routes and his work ehtic and attitude. Juaquin Iglesias seems to get pluses in all these areas. Others in this boat include Hakeem Nicks and Brian Robiskie.

I feel that the more immediate need for a position, the more inclined a GM should be to take a "safer" pick and go with a highly rated prospect with less question marks. We really don't need a project like Darrius Heyward-Bey because he's probably not the type of guy who can come in and play effectively from the start.

A lot of us want a DE. And the reason Jarron Gilbert makes more sense is because he was productive, has a ton of potential and plenty to like, but he might be better suited to playing in a reserve role as he develops rather than being thrown in as starter. We have a pair of good starter there in Ellis and Coleman and Marques Douglas behind them for depth. A situation like this gives a boom or bust prospect the best chance to reach his potential.

Of course, this is no magic formula, but it seems to make the most sense to me..

So... Anyway... This is why Juaquin Iglesias/Hakeem Nicks/Brian Robiskie are good choices for us at WR since we really need a starting WR.

6. JetFanInPA

There's no doubt that he was beaten often. And this gets overshadowed because he made some very tremendous plays down the line in the playoffs as well. And this is why he is a bit overrated. But the potential is there..

And don't forget this too. Weren't the Jets ranked 7th in the league with 41.0 sacks - Yeah, I can't believe it either - and look at the troubles they often had getting to the QB last year. Stats don't always tell ENTIRE story for QB pressure...

But I digress and reemphasize that the reason he is overrated (which I agree with you on to a point) is because he made big plays that often overshadowed the bad ones.. Inconsistency. He some big-time potential though.. But we'll see

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You're kinda wrong on this one. I agree, DRC is going to be a baller.

Your stats don't make much sense. That is like saying Revis is over-rated becuase our secondary and pass defense has been awful lately. We all know Revis is good, and will probably be a very good lock down corner in this league. Regardless of the stats and other factors on defense, he is still good.

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

How am I wrong on this? The poster I replied to said that Arizona's secondary was "ridiculous"...when they were one of the worst in the league at defending the pass.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Great post...I see the potential that he has - the guy is one of the most athletic players in a long time.

It just bothers me to see people labeling him as a top-tier corner when he's only played one season - a season that was full of good and bad plays.

10. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

If my memory serves me correctly, the performance of the Cardinals secondary improved considerably at the latter part of the season and into the playoffs when the front seven woke up and began to generate pass rush pressure with greater effectiveness and consistency. DRC may have been raw and mistake prone through much of his rookie campaign but when the DL and LBs were able to do a better job and his confidence kicked in, he certainly demonstrated stand out ability in my eyes. He definitely seems to have the potential to be a top corner and I would not be at all surprised if he emerges into a top 5 CB in the next year or two.

11. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

The problem with the Cards secondary is that they were all pretty much adjusting to a new corps. Adrian Wilson is obviously a great talent, but he had a new safety partner in Antrel Rolle. Rolle is definitely better suited as a safety, but hasn't ever played the position. DRC speaks for himself, physical marvel, but raw as you can be.

I would agree with both sentiments really, because talent-wise they can be one of the best in football if they get some consistency from the other CB spot, but who knows how long it'll take for the chemistry to get there.

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I never said that he was top-tier. All I said is that he has the potential to develop into a top-tier player...and then I guaranteed that he would reach it. I'll say it again: The guy is going to be one of the best CBs in the game. He isn't there yet, but he's on his way.

13. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

but this is what was the main point of the 'labelling' ... he was going to be the best CB in the league. even you said yourself you see the potential.

for someone to say he might be the best in the league in a few years isn't really a stretch...