Cutler To Bears

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ........, Apr 2, 2009.

1. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I would be delighted with those picks, I would love Maclin to drop to us at 17, and i would consider Heyward-Bay as well as Percy Harvin at that position.

Running back wise i like Shonn Greene so would like that pick however i do like Donald Brown out of Connecticut, over 2,000 yards last season, tell you a guy to watch out for in the later rounds, Javon Ringer out of Michigan State, a real tough runner, over 1,600 yards last season with 22 TD's and would be available in the 4th probably.

The DE and NT picks are pretty damn good ones by me.

2. TampaBayJetsFan85

What talented 3-4 DE could you see falling to the 3rd round?

3. ........

........ Trolls

BTW, just to clarify...I think Harvin goes to Minnesota, and I think he has a tremendous impact on that team. There has been talk of a big, possession receiver, but I don't think Sidney Rice and Bernard Berrian are a bad tandem, and Harvin in the slot/situational backfield with Peterson adds a whole new dimension to that offense.

4. ........

........ Trolls

Not sure. I know we've worked out Dorrell Scott, but he'd likely bulk into a 3-4 NT, rather than DE. Vance Walker, maybe?

5. ........

........ Trolls

My sister owns a training facility, and Ringer was one of her combine players this year. She thinks the world of him. Says he's dedicated, has a lot of passion for what he does. They were rather disappointed with his combine performance, though he did improve upon his initial numbers.

6. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Yer his combine wasn't the best, but that isn't the best representation of a players skill. I saw him a fair bit last season. That's great to hear, he has some nice open speed, he makes good cuts, and is more powerful that he is given credit for. :up:

7. TampaBayJetsFan85

Well...I wouldn't mind watching Harvin go to the Vikings only because that means the Jets picked someone else @ 17 and that means the Jets front office passed on Harvin for a reason and took "Their guy". And plus, I already like the Vikings as an NFC team and Harvin would make them that much more fun to watch on Sundays.

But I have a bad feeling that Harvin will get picked @ 16...ONE PICK before the Jets and that would just turn my stomatch. I have a feeling that Harvin would be an X-Factor type of player with the Chargers.

But on the other hand...I'm not sure if its because I've seen this kid play over the past 3 years and seen him play big against tough SEC D's but I just feel that Harvin will make a tremendious impact with ANY TEAM that drafts him, including the Jets...

But lets not turn this into a Harvin/Jets thread because you know me...Im down :rofl:

8. ........

........ Trolls

The Chargers won't take him. They'll likely spend their first pick on defense. I agree, though, he could help them out. I don't think much of Buster Davis, and Darren Sproles is no Leon Washington.

Again, I just don't think he improves us as much as he improves one of these other teams, and that limits his value to us at the pick. If the team reverses course and takes him, I'll obviously support the guy, but we'll regret it when we limit Leon again and he walks. Put simply, there are much better ways we could use that pick.

And yes, the Vikings would instantly become the best team to watch in the NFL outside of the Jets.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Dorell Scott. He came to visit. He has the mentality i'm in love with - leaves no job left undone, and takes pride in the leadership roles he's given. He is a perfect candidate for Rex Ryan to take.

10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This is really funny....

"NFL sources said the Bears were among the most aggressive teams in pursuit of Cutler, but they were hardly alone. Washington, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Cleveland and the New York Jets all tried to seal a deal. The Browns might have won the sweepstakes had Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, not also represented Brett Favre. The longtime Packers star didn't mesh last year with Jets coach Eric Mangini, who was fired and landed in Cleveland.

Mangini reportedly was willing to give up Brady Quinn in a deal for Cutler. Quinn, who played for former Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis at Notre Dame, might have been a good fit in McDaniels' system. But Cook made it clear when talks began that Cutler wanted no part of Mangini, and fears that he wouldn't report to the Browns shut down that deal."

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/1509429,CST-SPT-bear03.article

11. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

I think the Jets were better off without this guy, based upon what I've seen and heard. Just watch, Jay and Lovie will be fighting by the end of this season. Especially since it's the Bears, and things will not go well in some way or another (for all the "we're goon screw it up somehow complex" the Jets fans have, so do the Bears')

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well, Ditka and McMahon were always fighting and that worked out ok.

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Brett and Culter must have talked a bit over the last few weeks.

Anyway, I am so glad this Cutler stuff is over with. I am content going into the draft with what we have. Now, I just hope we don't draft Sanchez. Sanchez is severely overrated, IMO. I would love it if Sanchez fell to us and Tanny traded down to get another 2nd or 3rd round pick.

14. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

OK, Mr. Tannenbaum, now that you couldn't get a deal done for Cutler, lets's see how you can F-up the NFL Draft. Sure, Chicago gave up a lot, but they have a franchise QB. We've got...um, we've got...PSL's!

15. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I doubt we were any more aggressive going after Favre than we were for Cutler. Every team looks into every scenario that can help them, sometimes the situation works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't. We got Favre over Tampa Bay because Green Bay wanted him out of the NFC and needed to cut a deal, so we got him relatively cheap. With Cutler the circumstances didn't favor us, so we probably would have had to make an unfavorable deal to get him and declined, probably the smart thing to do.

Also, I wouldn't regard Favre as a "dismal failure". They took a shot, it looked good for 11 games and fizzled out. But you want aggressiveness from the front office and you got it, so don't complain. Had they stood pat last year and kept Chad maybe we could have landed Cutler for him plus picks this year. Not to mention Miami wouldn't have him and wouldn't be defending AFC East champs. But you play the hand you're dealt while the cards are on the table, then you have to move on win or lose.

Epic failure is a bit dramatic. We didn't pass on Peyton Manning, we passed on a guy who has had flashes of brilliance, never been to the playoffs and may or may not have been able to survive in New York.

#415 Italian Seafood, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Walter Payton and of the the all-time great defenses had a little bit to do with that.

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Boy people are getting so dramatic here.

This is not the end of the world.

18. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

what an over rated and over valued POS... this will come and bite the bears right in the ass

19. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Bears don't even have a #2 WR let alone a #1. They better trade down with there 2nd and grab another 3rd or 4th. They got a lot of holes still to fill. I was so glad to get home last night and see we didnt "win" this bidding war. If we draft well we can fill our weaknesses and be a contender maybe not a champion but we should be able to surprise some people this year.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

According to Cmini, the Jets couldn't even get a return call from the Broncos. They wanted no part of even talking with the Jets.