Cutler To Bears

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ........, Apr 2, 2009.

1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

So did we blow it by taking D'Brick and not Cutler?? I know we were desperate for a Left Tackle, but...and I am wondering, was Mangini who wanted Brickashaw more than Tannenbaum?

#381 al_toon_88, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

hmmm. lets see now the bears are pretty much screwed for the draft for the next two years...NICE Move

never wanted the guy good for the bears

3. TampaBayJetsFan85

Nah...At the time, we really needed a franchise LT and thats what we drafted in Ferguson. Ferguson could be known as a top 5 LT as long as he keeps progressing within the next 2 years and who knows if Cutler will ever be considered a top 5 QB.

Manning
    Brady
    Brees
    Big Ben
    McNabb

I'm not sure Cutler will ever crack that list over the next 3-4 years as far as production and winning goes.

4. ........

........ Trolls

Yeah, that's what prompted it. Looks like Vontae Davis and Percy Harvin both tested positive for weed as well. Hardly a big deal on any of the counts.

He did play in the 4-3, but the excitement over him at 3-4 is both his size and his versatility. He can rotate through the line, both spelling Jenkins and giving us added size in short yardage situations to protect against the run. He'd be a great pickup for us.

5. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

6. ........

........ Trolls

Hindsight is 20/20. I'm not sure Cutler would have developed as well if we had drafted him and not addressed the line. Can you imagine him in 2007, getting killed on every play? We may well have been better off drafting Cutler, but it's a bit of a tough call to make given the circumstances.

7. TampaBayJetsFan85

Yeah, just look @ that youtube video and others on the guy, he plays a 3-4 DT position but he's much faster than your average DT and he looks pretty strong but im not sure if he's strong enough to be a Jenkins/Wilfork/Hampton type of 3-4 NT because it's never good when you have a 4-3 DT "Trying" to play the role of a 3-4 NT (D.Robertson) but his speed alone had me thinking 3-4 DE BUT...God 4bid TBJF85 said something about him being a 3-4 DE first...I may have just got smashed around here for not knowing what im talking about

8. TampaBayJetsFan85

I think ANY QB would have got killed behind that "O-Line" of 2007, can we even call "That" or "It" an O-Line? I'm not sure about that one. I even stated over 20 times over the past year that I feel QB's like Brady a whManning would of had seasons of MAYBE 7-8 wins, maybe less but I couldnt see Manning or Brady getting more than 8 wins behind that O-Line and thats why Im all for giving Kellen a 2nd chance, only because he walked away with some wins (When teams like the Lions go 1-15 or 0-16)

the ONLY QB I think that could have had a "Shot" in 07 was Big Ben and thats not because I think he's better than a Manning or Brady I just think his mobility alone along with his passing talent could have helped him escape DE's and LB's because Big Ben is exciting on the run but I bet he would have been a disaster also

9. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

10. TampaBayJetsFan85

And thanks for putting up a solid fight while also sticking up for me in this thread, lol :up:

And Revis...Admit it already, it was tough posting on here for a while when you were against trading for Cutler wasn't it? It was crazy for me and I just couldnt wait for draft talk once again.

11. ........

........ Trolls

Not the same. You're comparing apples to oranges with those two. Raji may have played in the 4-3 in college, but sizewise he's well suited for the 3-4.. He's shorter and stouter than Jenkins was when Jenkins entered the NFL and before he packed on the extra pounds. Dewayne entered the NFL 20 lbs lighter than Raji and I believe LOST weight heading into our switch to the 3-4. Raji could still add some weight and be that same type of player.

He's been talked about as a 3-4 part time DE, so I doubt anyone would smash you for that.

12. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

No problem, yer it was difficult and tiring being against the Cutler trade. I'm just happy it's over, and now we can look forward to the draft and beyond. :up:

13. TampaBayJetsFan85

Im all for drafting in this order with our first four picks

Round one - WR/QB
    Round two- DE
    Round three- RB
    Round four- NT

BUT.... What if the Jets went...

Round one- Best 3-4 DE
    Round two- Best 3-4 NT
    Round three-Best O-Line
    Round four- RB

Would the board go crazy in a (Bad) way? I would love upgrading the trenches like our D-Line and O-Line with our 3rd round pick just inscase a player gets injured (Thats why I really like Woody, he can play just about every O-Line position) and THEN...In the 4th rounds and later go with the playmakers like RB, WR's and CB's.

I would much rather go with the first set of picks starting with WR/QB but what if we went trenches first 3 rounds? Would this board go insane?

14. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I think the boards probably would go insane if we went to the trenches in the first 3 rounds, i wouldn't mind as depth on the line is one hell of a important thing to have on a winning team, although like you i would prefer to go something like this:

Round 1- WR
    Round 2- RB
    Round 3- DE
    Round 4- NT

15. ........

........ Trolls

Some people would, yes. I think it's unlikely that we tackle the DL with both picks unless Raji falls to 17 and Gilbert falls to 53. In that situation, it's a good move. Again, though, it's unlikely. The draft could go any number of ways based on who is available with each pick. There stands to be good value at 17; it's just a matter of finding the best fit for our needs and the draft position. The two possibilities I'd like more than anyone are Maclin and Gilbert, unlikely to be available at 1/2 respectively, but I have an idea of different players I'd target with each pick, depending on availability and how the early part of the draft plays out. It's tough to try to arrange it by the one or two positions you'd try to target in each round.

16. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Jake Plummer
    year starts comp. att. % yards ypa td int qb rating
    2003 DEN 11 189 302 62.6 2182 7.2 15 7 91.2
    2004 DEN 16 303 521 58.2 4089 7.8 27 20 84.5
    2005 DEN 16 277 456 60.7 3366 7.4 18 7 90.2
    2006 DEN 16 175 317 55.2 1994 6.3 11 13 68.8

Jay Cutler
    year starts comp. att. % yards ypa td int qb rating
    2006 DEN 5 81 137 59.1 1001 7.3 9 5 88.5
    2007 DEN 16 297 467 63.6 3497 7.5 20 14 88.1
    2008 DEN 16 384 616 62.3 4526 7.3 25 18 86.0

For a "Franchise QB" he really didn't put up better numbers than Plummer. Cutler had Brandon Marshall (2006-2008), Eddie Royal (2008), and Stockley (2008). Plummer did not have any of these weapons except for Marshall in 2006 which was Plummer's last year. Plummer did not have the o-line that Cutler had last year. Not to mention the raiders and chiefs have been god-awful during Cutler's tenure. Is Cutler really that good? Or is he more a product of the system?

Answer: Cutler's good, but not 2 first round picks good. I can't wait to bet against the Bears next season in their first few games.

17. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

I like this. I think we need to take one of the wide receivers in the first two rounds. I don't care if all the other picks are used for oline dline depth.

18. TampaBayJetsFan85

Nice.

How would this be going WR, RB, DE, NT?

Round 1- Harvin in round one (Sanchez if he's still on the board, I highly doubt it though)

Round 2-Shonn Greene (The Hawkeye junior rushed for over a hundred yards in every game this season) Thats impressive and he's a big back @ around 235

Round 3-Maurice Evans, DE, Penn State - 6'2- 264 ("Maurice Evans took over the starting defensive end job at Penn State in 2007 and ran with it. After recording just 12 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, and 1.5 sacks in spot duty as a freshman, Evans' production was off the charts as a sophomore. Last year he managed to rack up 54 tackles, an astounding 21.5 tackles for loss with 12.5 sacks"

Round 4-Terrance Taylor, DT, Michigan - 6'0- 319 ("The University of Michigan's Terrance Taylor is a phenomenal athlete. Aside from being a top football recruit out of high school, Taylor was also a three time state power lifting champion in Michigan, and the undefeated heavyweight state wrestling champion as a senior. Taylor's training as a wrestler has helped his football tremendously'

19. ........

........ Trolls

If the right guy is there, sure. If we can't get Maclin in Round 1, I'd love to take the surefire bet in Gilbert and hope that Britt (long shot) or Nicks falls to the 2nd. If not, grab Donald Brown or Shonn Greene and wait for Robiskie in the 3rd. Maybe Louis Murphy. I see us addressing WR in the 3rd at the latest, depending on how things fall. Either way, we can still get a good OG in the 4th and use the final two rounds for depth.

20. ........

........ Trolls

You know how I feel about Harvin already, so I'll spare you that one. You also know I like Shonn Greene.

Maurice Evans would have to move to OLB in the 3-4, and we're not going to make that a priority. He would not be a good pick for us.

Taylor would be a good, versatile backup, but he'd likely never be a starter for us at NT after Jenkins.