Cutler To Bears

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ........, Apr 2, 2009.

1. ........

........ Trolls

I appreciate you offering up the trade that you think would get the job done. I'm not sure that would have been enough for Denver to deal him our way, but it's at least possible. IMO, it's also too much. With that deal, we're essentially saying that, with a new head coach, we're not going to build through the draft for the next two seasons. We'd start with a 2nd day pick this year and a need for depth at RB, OL, ILB, DL, and likely CB and S, not to mention a giant hole at WR. Then, with any success, we're drafting a low 2nd rounder with our first pick the next year, and nothing until the 4th.

We can't keep building up our team through FA, and certainly not through FA alone. That's essentially what we'd be forced to do. We'd be looking at a 2 year window to win the SB with Cutler before the cupboard was bare, and while we'd have seen some success, I'm not sure we'd have gotten there. Chicago, on the other hand, already has a closing window. They're more than happy to delay any building for 2 seasons while their vets are aging. That's not the position we had entering into the offseason, and it's not the position we should be putting ourselves in now.

2. Angry Teste

Angry Teste Active Member

THIS JUST IN!!!!

Apparently the deal is reported to still be the same as it was hours ago...

Denver Gets:
    2009 1st round pick
    2009 3rd round pick
    2010 1st round pick
    Kyle Orton

Chicago gets:
    5th Rounder
    Jay Cutler

Sources are:
    The Entire Internet
    All Sports Networks
    My next door neighbor
    The bar down the street

I will try to keep everyone here updated by the minute. I'll be back in a few to confirm that this deal is not my imagination.

3. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

When you abbreviate you and straight with 'u' and 'str8', it really is difficult to take anything you say seriously. There were different report on who traded the 3rd pick to whom; ESPN changed their story and that's what he posted. You're just being a douchebag.

4. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

please re-read my post with the edit... I knew you were going here

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Link????????

6. GeorgeCoztanza

GeorgeCoztanza New Member

Look at what the Bears gave up. Even though they had a replacement for Cutler in their deal, they parted with two first rounders and a third.

Let's say the Jets gave up the same amount of picks. The Broncos can use some help on defense, but they wouldn't view adding one defensive starter as equal to what Chicago could offer, a replacement at quarterback. It's quite possible we would have had to give up both Revis and Harris, which would have really, really hurt the defense, one of the two keys to winning as you say.

7. Mehl-56

I would have no problem with the same picks and Harris... Revis would have been the only one on D who would have been untouchable...

8. ........

........ Trolls

No problem. I still say we can afford to build through the draft more than we can afford to continue plugging in starters with free agency, but I suppose it comes down to a difference of opinion on whether Cutler would have been enough to win a SB in the next couple of years. I honestly can't say that, after sacrificing as much as you suggest, it would be close to certain.

Still, I can better appreciate your viewpoint after that post. Thanks.

9. ........

........ Trolls

Revis and Rhodes were untouchable due to the cap. Each one would have hit the cap for $10 million in a trade.

10. Keeper1125

Keeper1125 Member

Name a single instance in sports history in which a sports championship was certain prior it to having been won.

We're talking about probabilities, not anything close to certainties. It continues to baffle me why Jets fans don't get this.

11. GeorgeCoztanza

I just don't see Denver making that deal. With all things equal, I think they take the quarterback.

12. ........

........ Trolls

My apologies for the figurative language. By far from certain, I meant I'd have serious doubts about our ability to do it within two seasons. One to learn the playbook and build chemistry with the team, followed by one in which we were unable to build depth and plug holes? I just don't see that as very likely.

13. GeorgeCoztanza

Rhodes, yes.

Where are you getting that figure on Revis if you don't mind me asking?

14. Mehl-56

your jumping in on the back end... you should read the whole thread. I don't want to keep reposting the same thing.

Thanx
    Ellis

15. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

As long as Kellen Clemens isn't the starter, I'm happy.

If that guy somehow beats out the other QBs in camp, I'll be ready to write the obituary on the 2009 Jets like I did with the 2008 Jets when Favre came on-board. Ratliff is the only guy on the roster currently that I want to see.

Now, if they can somehow get Stafford (miracle) or Sanchez, I might be singing a different tune. Right now, I'm incredibly unexcited about the 2009 season. The Jets better hit home runs with their first rounders this year and next year because they easily could have been involved in this bidding. If one of these picks turns into Vernon "the Ghost" Gholston or some other mediocrity, what would the point have been?

16. ........

........ Trolls

5.7 million for the roster bonus he was just paid, 1.3 million per season for the remaining guaranteed money/prorated bonus on his contract. Comes out to about 10.9 million, all of which immediately accelerates onto the cap the minute he's traded.

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

he sure as hell wasn't bidding against himself with Favre... he was the 3rd team on the list, only to sweep in and take him before Tampa got him. I also think Green Bay was more than happy to trade him out of the conference. As most teams are when they trade away franchise players who may want to return with a vengeance.

On NFL network it was reported that the original deal was a 1st, 3rd and Orton, then it evolved into a 1st next year as well. So i'm not sure if that deal would have gone through, because it apparent that Denver wanted a QB out of this trade.

the free agents are nice but the idea is to replace them when the time is needed. I must have too much faith in the draft, which in the last 3 years has been better than most decades with this franchise, because I believe the replacements are there. I am with you on the plug and play with the QB, it cannot be treated like that - but to think that its all over at this very moment because they didn't do enough for Cutler is crossing the lines of logic. The NFL isn't ending at the end of this year. The only other things to add are what ifs, and I hate what ifs.

i must say this is well presented.

#357 NDmick, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  18. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

You're aware that right now Clemens probably has the best shot to win the job, right? I hope I didn't kill your buzz.

19. GeorgeCoztanza

You're certainly entitled to the opinion that Orton isn't any good, but that doesn't really prove anything regarding what Denver would find more attractive. The Broncos clearly think Orton is their answer at starter. Otherwise they wouldn't have asked that he be included in the deal. If they have the option to fill a hole at linebacker or quarterback, they're going QB.

20. Mehl-56

I should have worded this different. He seems aggressive when it's easy for him to gain the advantage. But when there is a little more risk involved, he just seems to cower under the pressure. I think he could have done a better job, and to NOT be in the final 2 or 3 teams in the mix to get Cutler, that speaks volumes to me.