Why does this team turtle in the 4th Qtr?

Discussion in 'Game Threads' started by Zach, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Title says it all.

Why does this team turtle in the 4th qtr? Offense, defense, you name it. They just tank it. On top of that, there were quite a few penalties that shouldn't even be there. Play the game till the ref blows the game over, Ok!?!?

2. I'm not making excuses b/c god knows this team has "turtled" in the 4th qtr for 25-30 years..but I do believe some of the issues were more growing pains than anything else. Alot of new faces on D and obviously on O. The OL needs more time to gain cohesion..and there's alot of communication/chemistry stuff involved w/ the front 7 of a 3-4. Those type of issues tend to really surmount in the 4th qtr of games early in the year. There were alot of bright spots today...be happy we got a win despite the whacky instances like Nuge.

Also keep in mind...that aside from the second game from last year....the past 4-5 meetings w/ Miami have all gone this way. We comfortably lead the entire game..we relax w/ about 10 mins. left in the game and have a nail biting drive w/ about a minute left the phins screw up. It's almost become a tradition.

3. 4theJETS

4theJETS New Member

I agree some work is needed...but a win is a win! And the Jets are on the right track! Congrats!

4. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Ummmm>final score please?

5. cassie96

cassie96 Member

REVIS ROCKS!!!!! A win is a win is a win!!!!!

Next week will be easier, with Brady out. (hit to the knee)

6. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Only jets fans could complain with a win against a team in 100 deg C heat , a major rival , minus a kicker and a lot of expectation weighing on them.

They won , celebrate or fvck off!

7. cassie96

cassie96 Member

EXACTLY!!!!!!! ALL the NFL teams fans have WHINERS!!! They would not be happy if we won 9 Lombardi's.

8. Traveling

Traveling New Member

I think it was pretty clear that the heat was getting to them as well. The offense really didn't have possession of the ball that much late in the second half. I think that was part of the reason the D didn't look that good at the end.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Sutton needs to take a pill and get the blood flowing back to his balls for this D to be stout in the 4th qtr... Old man can't make 4th qtr adjustments thats why.

10. FavreIsHere

FavreIsHere New Member

I think we won and we have to take it for what it is. A victory. I mean, yes, we did somewhat "turtle," but as it has been said before me, it was without a kicker among quite a few other circumstances.

11. solidd36

solidd36 New Member

We always back off the pressure in the fourth quarter and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

12. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Thanks for expressing my thoughts on this topic.

13. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

It's been a trend since Mangini has taken over and this was the 3rd time in 3 years it's happened against Miami(it happened at home the last 2 years).

14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

All I know is that this has to slow down, I can't take things like that everytime. Sure, it makes for a good game but my nerves are shot almost everytime in the fourth quarter. I just want to watch games with a little ease in the 4th quarter every now and again.

EDIT: With the Jets on the winning side of the scoreboard.

15. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

thankfully, rooting for the Mets.....I am conditioned for heart stopping game conclusions.......I expect quite a bit of that from the Jets, as usual

16. Chris726

Chris726 New Member

i agree wholeheartedly fam... im used to having my cheeks clicnhed at the end of the game.. :mad:

17. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

The jets turtle worse than the Alliance used to do in AV

18. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I think it was the whole second half for the most part. the 3rd quarter was our worst all season by far.

It was an inability for us to adjust to the other team, and our opponents' ability to continually figure out our strategy. We never had a Plan B and Eric was unable to adapt.

I am worried about Schotty too, because it wasn't just the D. I am not sure he'll have a job in Rex's year 2....although there's also a good chance he'll get a HC job somewhere eventually.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

As it happened... Jets tanked the final quarter of the season, missing out the playoffs. I believe that's the Mangini staple, starting off well enough only to falter in the second half. Here's hoping that Rex isn't following that footstep.

20. Mike4Jets

Mike4Jets New Member

Alterac Valley? Was that a WoW reference here??