Official Cutler on the trade block news, rumor and speculation thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Titans, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I dont think Cutler is coming here unless we severely overpay for his services. We simply don't have the ammo w/o a 3rd team or basically sacrificing our draft future.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

"picks" don't mean a thing. They are worthless most of the time and the people they are used on are gone in a few years anyway. Trading for a franchise QB is a once in a generation opportunity. If he sucks in NY then it is because the Jets as an organization sucks and the coaching staff are worthless. For sure it won't stop many other teams from going all in to try and get him too.

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Jay Cutler was drafted.

4. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I wanted him when we had a chance at drafting him....There is no reason not to get this done. I can not blame him for wanting a trade after his coach went behind his back to try and trade for another QB. There's not a NFL QB that wouldn't be doing the same thing. As for Rhodes he'll just have to get over it!

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Actually this is about the only way the Jets get Cutler without sinking into the mire for the next few seasons. If we give up a lot of future value for Cutler this team will be unwatchable in three seasons.

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

If we don't get Cutler, I'm not going to be terribly disappointed. I was looking forward to seeing what we have with Ratliff. However, if we do end up getting Cutler I will be just as excited as you guys. I'm fine with going in either direction at this point.

7. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The Skins and the Browns have more than enough trade ammo to blow us out of the water; this deal will not happen unless 3 weeks go by and nobody is biting; then we might have as chance.

8. Murrell2878

Denver Radio Station 850 AM is going to be doing a "Jets Angle" regarding the Cutler trade if you're interested. You can listen online.

9. Don

Yeah, so? How many other QBs were drafted the same year?..start with Clemens, Young and Leinart, who else? The last two were drafted ahead of Cutler too. That's my point..thanks. In other years you can add Russell and Smith as overall #1s and where are they now? Trying like hell to prove they worth anything much less what they got.

#149 Don, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  10. Murrell2878

Hope you guys didn't listen to this the guy they brought in from the NY media is terrible.

11. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

Don, its hard to respond to you because you don't seem to care to learn. Simply, draft picks are worth something because you can get something for them--either in a trade or getting a player from college. You are correct that draft picks do not pan out regularly, but that does not diminish their value to zero.

If you care to learn, look up the concept "expected value" and try to apply it to the draft situation. You will find that every pick has a positive value.

Have a good one, jets fan.

12. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Adrian Petersen was drafted.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

As much as I like Cutler, I don't want to overpay for him, and I think that's what we're going to have to do to get him. If we work with what we've got this year (granted, both QBs are an unknown still) at least we'd still have the draft picks to use.

The other thing also bothering me now is this business of Cutler not returning phone calls for 10 days in a row. Okay, so Denver hasn't exactly played their cards ideally either (both sides have screwed this thing up royally), but Cutler demonstrates extreme dick-headedness by handling things on his end with such emotion. The kid has absolutely no business acumen and exhibits a lot of stubborness by not even returning the Broncos' messages.

Is this the guy we want leading our team? If he resorts to these exremely emotional tactics with the broncos, how likely will it be that he'll do it to the Jets also if he doesn't get his own way or feels slighted?

I don't know, now I'm more on the fence than ever with this guy. I wanted him initially (even wanted us to go for him originally in the draft), but now I'm less certain that this is the way to go, especially if we have to overpay on top of it all.

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

17 overall, bryan Thomas, one QB from the roster.

a 2 next year that morphs to a one if the Jets advance past the AFC Championship game.

That's the ceiling.

As Carton pointed out this morning, the Browns have Quinn (I like) and Anderson ..(I don't like) and the 5th overall pick which is better trade Bait.. Denver could wind up with Quinn and the 5.(Anderson is overpaid anyway)

15. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

I also find it funny how people around here say he can't win....In 37 games he's 17-20 (not impressive but with no D its not that bad) as starter since 2006 and since 2006 all the Jets QBs are 23-25 in 48 games...so the Jets QBs have won 6 more games in 11 more games played. He is 13-1 when the D gives up less than 21 pts. and I can't see Rex's D given up that many points that often...seems like the games he lost were more on the D than on him. Cutler would be the Jets best option for years to come.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Go back, and find the article about Bus Cook, and his role in this.

This is all about Cutler getting paid. Plain and simple.

Denver unwittingly gave him the out.

17. Don

Well, yeah, I know they are worth something in a trade and that is the point I'm making. They are worth more in trading for a franchise QB then they are (most likely) in a crapshoot on a player. History proves that over and over again every year. Especially at the QB position. How often are franchise QBs even made? Not counting Eli Manning because that happened on draft day, the last franchise QB traded that I can even think of was Favre and Atlanta had no idea at the time what they had when they traded him. The opportunity, as I said, to trade for a franchise QB comes maybe once in a generation.

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Yes, but is Cutler a "Mangini Guy?" I can just imagine Mangini leaving messages on Jay's phone for 10 days in a row after Mangini said something that pissed him off.... LOL ...That could be a pretty funny scenario.

19. Don

Shall I name all the others that were also drafted and now out of the league?

You may not get it, and others here may not get it, but fortunately the Jets get it and that is why they will do all they can to get him. In the end it may not be enough but they will certainly try.

20. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Ha ha! Jackson STINKS.

I think the Jets have as much trade ammo as anyone. Denver will not want the #1 overall pick and Detroit's 0-16 roster is awful.

The Jets have picks and players Denver may not want one of our QBs but the Jets have the 2008 AFC rushing leader and defensive players (Harris or Rhodes?) to offer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.