Official Cutler on the trade block news, rumor and speculation thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Titans, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Well, I wouldn't bother with conditional picks. I'd simply give up two 1st rounders and let the Broncos take either Clemens or Ratliff and be done with it.
    I wouldn't want to part with a young veteran such as David Harris or Darrelle Revis.
    You have to give up something good to get something good unless you are dealing with buffoons, of course. Furthermore, until there is a rookie salary scale in place, 1st round picks that do not meet expectations (I'm talking about guys like Gladys Gholston and Dewayne Robertson and Bryan Thomas) hurt teams. If the Jets acquire Cutler, they are going to have to give him a big contract. The team also is going to have to work out new deals for Mangold and Washington, too. It actually makes sense salary cap-wise to simply unload the '09 and '10 1st rounders to bring in Cutler.

2. Bvon

Bvon New Member

You sir, are brilliant. I think that is the most convincing pitch to get Cutler I've heard. I say give them #17 and next years 1st rounder. We would have our QB and might be able to still snag the WR we need in the 2nd round this year. This could get very interesting.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its scary to me that Jets fans, of all people, do not want a cocky, brash, SOB for a QB. The Best QB to ever wear Green and white told people he was goign to win the damn game and did. Thats exactly the attitude I would want out of my QB.

Get it done. No Cutler may not Mesh with every attitude around the locker room, but winning has a way of making things like that go away.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

BREAKING NEWS: Cutler to be traded. Oh I am late. Mods merge this please.

5. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

i dont want cutler at all, this guy has proven that he cant handle one stupid trade rumor, and he is going to play in ny, whats he going to do the first time he throws 4 picks in a game and gets booed off the field, request another trade, maybe he can be the todd zeile of the nfl and play for 40 teams

6. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

The conditional was suggested as a CYA. If he turns out to be a douche, we don't pay as much for ridding ourselves of him; though his value would decrease significantly were he to be traded to a 3rd team in 3 years. We'd also be covered if he, say, had a career ending injury.

I'm surprised you're even discussing this now as you have shown yourself to not be much of a fan of the guy.

7. Bvon

Bvon New Member

I disagree, I think a kid like that flourishes with the pressure of a big market. If he's down, he can brush it off. When he throws 4 TDs and 400 yards, his ego will be through the roof and when your QB is confident, your O plays better. I'm getting sold on this happening more and more by the minute.

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I would want that attitude too, I like that. To bad Cutler doesn't have that same attitude, he is just a punk. Plan and simple.

He acts like everyone owes him something. What has he done for anyone lately? Nothing but cause others stress, frustration, and anger. He needs to grow up, it is a business, these things do happen. Atleast the Broncos "tried" to make it up to him and appologies, still not good enough.

He reminds me of Ryan Leaf.

They can keep him.

9. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Save the children!
    Keep the much-needed draft picks and wait a year before we have to panic at a position we have no idea what kind of talent we already have. If KC, BR, or EA can't get it done or show the ability to in the near future - THEN we draft, trade for or sign one as FA next year. Mortgaging the future now is ridiculous. It's like going all-in, and we're not CLOSE to all-in material yet. We're just trying to stack the chips to go all-in.
    Pro Bowl will always be < Super Bowl..so don't talk about Cutler's stats or popularity. And don't talk about his arm. Trent F'N Dilfer won a Super Bowl. And Joe Montana didn't have Elway's laser - but he still OWNED him. Phil Simms had a weaker arm. And so did Doug Williams. A
    nd who's Jay Cutler throwing to on the Jets that's better than Denver's receiving corps last year? Where's his playmaker? We won't be able to draft one bc we'll have no draft post-Cutler, and we won't be able to sign one thanks to the past two years of spending (those contracts go UP in cap room as the years go by). And Jay Cutler's going to want to be paid higher than everyone else in the world at some point, a personal theory based on the whining and crying he and his agent have done already after 3 years of...absolutely nothing.
    Based on everyone's pure speculation of Jay Cutler creating some phantom dynasty for the Jets for the next ten years or so, I can make the same "educated" guess that Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff or Eric Ainge will put up better numbers in their careers.
    We don't need the shiniest or fastest car in the lot. We need the toughest one.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

anyone not willing to part with two firsts for Cutler needs to finish the lobotomy they obviously already started and cut down to the neck.

11. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

thats what i was hoping.. but the bottom line is that Denver won't have a problem trading him away.. in order for Cutler to be a Jet we are going to have to outbid all the other contending teams.. i like cutler.. just dont want to end up giving up too much for him.

12. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Very good points- the Ghost/Gladys will be a hindrance financially for this franchise for a long time if he doesn't shape up fast. Homeboy got more guaranteed money than most guys sitting inactive for games usually get. A big contract for Cutler will probably upset less people than the ridiculous contract Stafford or whatever the highest QB will get.

Start with the 2009 1st, add in a 2010 3rd rounder or some conditional pick, and offer Clemens and see what Denver does. They don't really have any internal leverage- the price for Cutler is derived from what the Lions, Bears, Bucs, and 49ers will offer. I think the Jets have the best GM by a good margin of that group and Tannenbaum will (if he wants) get this done.

13. Bvon

Bvon New Member

Which teams are also going to bid for Cutler?

14. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I don't think he is worth near what other quarterback have gone for in the past. First he would have to speak with coach Ryan and pass the interview. Then I would expect they would want a new contract which diminishes what I would give for him. Did the Patriots reset the market for a high priced QB? # 17,52,76, choice of our current QB's, and next years one for Cutler, #48,#79, and next years two. Perhaps incentives to decrease the two to a lower or absent pick if probowl/superbowl.

15. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

Buccs, Lions, Vikings, Redskins.. and a couple others...

16. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I know Dan Snyder is nuts, but Jason Campbell has done pretty well. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I think he will stay out of this. They already shelled out way too much cash this offseason, but when has that held him back?

Vikings already backed out of pursuing Cutler- Childress will go to war with T-Jac and Rosenfels is a good fallback. I don't know why Childress was so infatuated with Jackson, but that's life.

Bucs, Lions, Bears, 49ers, and Jets are the true candidates for Cutler in my opinion.

17. Bvon

Bvon New Member

Ok, now that we know the players in the game, who would offer what?

18. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Cutler has been among my favorite five or so players in the league and the Jets need a good player at the position he plays, so of course I would like the Jets to get him.

This is going back a half century, but Bobby Layne was a cocky, brash QB. He's in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He directed the Lions to NFL championships in '52 and '53.

Aside from the brashness and position played, how else can Cutler be compared to Layne?

Layne was traded early in his career. He was drafted 3rd overall by the Bears in 1948. After one season, he refused to play for the Bears any longer and tried to orchestrate a trade. George Halas proceeded to deal him to the Bulldogs. He played one year for New York and then they dealt him to Detroit for Camp Wilson.

Wilson would never again play an NFL game. Layne became an all-time great and led the Lions to great success in the 1950s. The Lions had been 10-37 in the four seasons prior to the Layne trade. That trade was one of the greatest trades an NFL team ever made. Layne turned around the Lions franchise.
    Cutler could do a similar thing with the Jets. He could take the Jets from an also-ran to a consistent winner.

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

That is actually not the case at all. You had to have read a post wrong. I may have been playing devil's advocate or something. Many posters who know me pretty well here, know that I am a big fan of Anquan Boldin and Jerricho Cotchery. I ripped both of those guys on several occasions last season. I will do that with anybody, if I feel a guy deserves it.

Edit- Here's a post I made in a thread where we listed our favorite athletes.
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=863903&postcount=22

That post was originally made in June. I think I had Cutler on it before I edited it in December. The reason I edited it six months after the fact was to get the baseball players off it and add the Titans RBs.

#99 Cakes, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  20. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Best post i have read on this topic. People are only too ready to point out that Clemens/Ratliff are unproven, Clemens only chance was behind a O-line that Manning/Brady/Montana/Elway would of struggled with, and Ratliff hasn't even been given a chance, it's not his fault that all we to go on are his pre-season stats, you can only beat what is put in front of you. Bring Cutler in and his gun is useless unless we have a receiver who can get down the field, which we won't have. Let Cutler cry his way to Tampa or Detroit, don't piss of Rhodes and the whole defense by bringing in a guy they don't like, and give one of our guys, that actually know the system a chance. No to Jay Cutler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.