New York Jets Interested in TE Pettigrew

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NDmick, Mar 26, 2009.

1. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

I am so confused. I don't know who I want or what position we should draft anymore. I hate having to wait the entire month of April to find out what the fuck we do.

2. TampaBayJetsFan85

Enjoy the offseason man...Have fun with all these silly threads we have going on around here... The offseason has always been some of the best times for Jet fans because ever since 1969...We have came up a little short during the regualr season, lol

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

There's a lot of uncertainty the farther into the first round you pick. Last year, it was almost a foregone conclusion we were gonna draft Gholston

It's a lot more fun this way, especially (in most cases) a pick in the middle of the first round means that you're really close to being a playoff team and this pick will go in a long way in determining your fate for the upcoming season

4. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I'd shit poultry too, but if Sanchez is still on the board I'd like to think the Jets would either take him or trade down (as opposed to just picking a TE over him).

5. ........

........ Trolls

1st round money to two TEs? Granted, between the two of them that's about 5 or 6 million, but I'd rather take a DE, CB, WR, RB, or ILB at that spot. Don't want a QB.

With Nicks apparently out of the picture (I liked the guy, but I certainly trust the FO if they've soured on him), I'd say Maclin becomes the only 1st rounder who could be around that I'd want. My list for top 4 likely now goes: Gilbert, Maclin, Davis, Moreno.

6. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

What if Sanchez is the next Joe Montana? What if Percy Harvin turns out to be a HOF? You can't go by "What ifs?" There's no way of knowing who will turn out to be a stud and who will be a bust, so there is nobody "we have to take" because he could be the next HOFer at said position

7. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Anyway, from what I've learned the past few seasons with our Front Office, is that they usually key one guy in the first few rounds that will trade up to get, and they been hitting it on the mark. Derelle Revis and Dustin Keller were both traded up for.

8. ReservoirDog76

ReservoirDog76 New Member

Britt ran a 4.40 at his pro day and a 4.48 at the combine. He's not slow by any means.

BRITT @ 17!

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i don't play what if's either, but he's been compared to Witten so it justifies the question.

10. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

Jets are kind of in nowhere's land right now at #17. We all know Tanny likes to move up to get his man but he's also said that he would move down if the draft dictates value later and this may be one of those cases.

I think they like someone but can probably get him later in the first (Britt? Donald Brown?). I think the Freeman and now Pettigrew rumors are a smokescreen to set up a trade since several teams behind us are high on those two.

Granted, if Pettigrew is all that he's said to be then I'd be OK with the pick. That would really depend on if Schotty thinks Keller can be another, better Vincent Jackson as a WR/TE hybrid. Its not out of the realm of possibility.

#90 tdoublee, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  11. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

As much as I hate the idea of drafting another 1st round TE, at 6-5 w/ good hands and good blocking, he'd fits our need for another TE and our need for a tall/endzone receiver. I wouldn't be ecstatic but I'm down.

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

If anyone really wants Pettigrew, just start chanting "We want Sapp!" That's how Jets GMs know to draft a TE.

13. ghostridergo

ghostridergo New Member

Especially if we only have one TE on the roster. TE would definately be a need

14. Phear

Phear New Member

i really would like to know who has compared him to witten, he's nothing like witten. he is slow, couldnt get the ball in the end zone, granted he was mostly used for blocking, but still. He had 0 tds last year and totals 9 in his 4 years at oklahoma. his hands are decent. he didn't run very many routes in college so i do not see the witten comparison at all. i've watched witten play alot ( i live in tx) and pettigrew does not remind me of witten. basically what i'm getting at is that he is a great blocking te but not worth us wasting our first pick on when we have more pressing needs. a blocking te can be drafted on day 2.

#94 Phear, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  15. Phear

Phear New Member

Actually it is reality..... We do not have a true #1 wr, we will have an unproven qb behind center. to think that we are not going to see alot of people in the box is just you being ignorant and trying to be confrontational. Is cotchery going to demand double coverage? no he is not. is stuckey? no he is not. keller can be covered by a lb with safety help. it is just common sense that until our qb whoever it is earns the respect of opposing defenses we will see 8 in the box at least. we saw it when we had chad and coles as our qb and #1, do you really think it will be different with clemens/ratliff and cotchery as our #1? get off the gas.

and tj is not going to be cut it'll cost more to cut him then keep him.

16. Here's my take on this:

If none of the Qb's, or top 10 guys fall...it most certainly makes sense in terms of need AND value.

By all accounts Pettigrew seems like a safe bet to be a top blocking/goalline tight end at the least...and could be Jason Witten. My only concerns are that TE's CAN be a risky pick, and this franchise has had a well documented problem w/ first round TE's in the past. We struck gold w/ keller last year...what are the chances we strike gold twice?

I could go either way on this one..

17. TDjoey

TDjoey New Member

Correction Keller isn't a TE. He's more a h-back. You want an allround Te( one that can block and catch) to start. So your less predictable on offense. Most likely a Wr drafted at #17 is not helping the offense next year.(takes time for recievers to have an impact)

You get a allround Te Pettigrew and you team him with H back Keller (recieving threat) . Throw in Leon washington and you have something special. Create alot more problems for a defense to account for.

18. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

This literally made me laugh out loud.

I think the X factor in this that people haven't been considering is Ryan. How strongly will he be able to influence Tanny with the first pick? And although he has been a D-coordinator, he's now a coach and it's hard to say what he covets as a head coach since there is no yardstick. I think this makes for an interesting first round for the Jets.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Mayock made the comparison on NFL Network. That's the only person I've heard make the comparison.

20. Phear

Phear New Member

ummm, what?