33 Years and Counting for a Franchise QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Mar 26, 2009.

1. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

i think your confused from having watched for too long jets games with mediocre to average qb'ing. pennington never had a good arm! it wasn't as bad pre injury, but it was never good. he was known coming out of college as being weak armed and was questionable whether he was an nfl caliber qb or not. what made noodle serviceable was his smarts, not his talent, or lack there of.....noodle was a wannabe franchise qb.

franchise qb's today, with the exception of the top tier guys would be:
    carson palmer
    matt hasselback
    mcnab
    romo (maybe, not proven, but talented)
    brees
    rothleisburger
    rivers
    warner

thats what i can think of off the top of my head.

2. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

I hope you are right about the defense although what will we call this website if we give the nickname to the defense?

The defense should be much improved but I can't help but feel that unless Rex performs miracles, we are still a defensive end or 2 away from really becoming dominant.

As it's been said on the board today, Kellen Clemens is stepping to the mike and looking foward to the challenge of becoming the new starting QB. I hope he can.

3. TampaBayJetsFan85

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

^ the deep ball was never the problem w/penny. btw that first video is a floater that goes maybe 30 yards in the air.

5. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I agree with this complete. Hasselbek has given Seattle stablity at the QB position and has been able to take over a game when hes healthy. Big Ben on the Steelers has that, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Phillip Rivers. If the Jets can land a QB as equal to Big Ben we would be in excellent shape. BIg Ben doesn't lose games by the big mistake. Look at his last drive in the Super Bowl. That is the guy I want leading my team. What Big Ben did on that last drive is the defination of the franchise qb.

6. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Pennington would definitely be a franchise QB if he had stayed healthy. He didn't have a cannon, but his arm strength really wasn't a issue until he shredded his shoulder. I think his strength will continue to improve over the next season or two and I wouldn't be surprised if he salvaged what's left of his career after he leaves Miami.

#46 GBA, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  7. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I don't think that a QB's impact is equal to every other player's, it's definitely much higher. I just get frustrated when people blame the team's lack of SB contendership (yeah I made up that word but I think it's a pretty good one) on one thing, and go on to state that we cannot be contenders until we find our "prince charming".

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

the bolded is what its all about.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

wow if we had a franchise q.b. this board would be empty

10. TampaBayJetsFan85

Yeah right...Jet fans would even complain about not having a pro-bowl type of QB as a backup if we had a franchise QB

Jet fans could complain about winning the SB because the Jets had an "Ugly win"

I love Jet fans...Much better fans that Rays, Knicks and any other sports fans I know of, but Jet fans can and will always find a way to complain

11. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

The Jets will have a good, but far from dominating defense. They don't have enough really good players to dominate. There's no way the Jets will win big without success at the quarterback position, so we better pray someone steps up.

12. Long Time Jet Fan

I think you are confusing franchise QB with a good QB who had a few good seasons. Todd had one good season and his statistics pretty much stunk the rest of time. O'Brien was good, but outside of one season never dominant. Esiason was okay for the Jets, but only played three seasons for them. Testaverde stunk for most of his career, had one really good season for the Jets, and played for seven franchises. Pennington was a solid contributor for a number of years and if not for the injuries may have been a franchise QB. A franchise QB is called a franchise QB because is some way he is the franchise, and that doesn't mean he's the best player for a year or two.

13. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I don't see any reason why our defense can't dominate next season. Last year we had crap in the secondary, Harris injured and Sutton calling the shots and we still had a very impressive run D. Now we'll have Harris back (knock on wood), an improved secondary, an entire draft to fill holes and depth, a new DC and a defensive minded head coach. Plus we have Bart Scott, who will probably be an improvement over Barton... I'm skeptical of just how much, but whatever the case is I'm sure he'll be great working with Jenkins and Harris. I think a dominant defense is definitely within our reach.

14. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

You're way out of touch dude.

15. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

No kidding

16. Long Time Jet Fan

Seriously, rather than making pointless statements why don't you research franchise player on the internet and get back to me.

17. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

O'Brien was definitely a franchise quarterback. You put an 'O'Brien' in his prime on the Steelers of last year and I guarantee you they would have raped and pillaged their way to the Super Bowl.

Pennington would have been a franchise quarterback if he could have stayed healthy.. but he didn't.

Vinny and Esiason, obviously not.

18. Long Time Jet Fan

Coming from the guy who thinks the Jets defense will dominate next season, this doesn't mean much. You're like all the guys who thought the Jets will win the Super Bowl when they got Favre. You think adding a coach, one good linebacker, one questionnable CB, and a substitute safety (until injuries) is going to take a decent defense and turn it into a dominant one. The defensive line outside of Jenkins, who tired down the stretch, is okay. Scott and Pace are good linebackers, while Harris seemed to drop off last year. You need dominant linebackers to to have a dominant 3-4 defense. Revis is a stud, but there's a reason Sheppard didn't start last year. Hopefully, he can make plays again. Rhodes dropped off last year, and Leonhard wasn't even a starter until some of his teammates got injured. So while I think the Jets defense will be much improved, to call them dominant is a reach.

19. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I didn't say we'd have a dominant defense; I said it's within our reach. Harris dropped off because he was injured pretty much the whole year. A change in coaches and the confidence they bring, coming from what we had with Mangini and Sutton, could be a difference of night and day with the talent we have right now. I also don't think it's a reach to assume Sheppard's drop in performance is at least somewhat attributed to his disillusionment in Philly.

#59 GBA, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Matt Hasselback, Marc Bulger, Chad Pennington, Vinny Testaverde, Jim Harbaugh, Jake Plummer, Jeff Garcia, all strong journeymen QB's, none of them franchise QB's with Bulger probably coming the closest. None of these guys were worth building a team around because ultimately they didn't (don't) have the ability to take a team consistently deep in the playoffs when the quality of competition goes through the roof and small flaws become magnified. Nothing wrong with having a guy like that at QB, but if you win he's not going to be the main reason.

The reason I am so opposed to the Jets going out and paying a fortune to get Cutler is that he is very likely to wind up as a peer of the QB's above before he's done. He has not shown any ability to elevate his play at the end of the season when crunch time compresses opportunities down to a few plays that have to be made or you don't quite make it.

The reason I'm not sold on the 3 young guys the Jets have at the moment is that I think the odds are that none of them will be as good as the group of good journeymen above. We may get luccky with one of them. but at this point that's likely what it will take to get a really good QB out of the three: a lot of luck.

I think the Jets need to make a major effort to resolve the QB position favorably with somebody that they can pencil in for the next decade and build the team around. I think the odds are that they're going to have to draft the guy. Anybody they bring in from another team is going to have questions hanging over him, which is why he became available in the first place.

If the Jets choose to make this a transition season and spend it looking at Clemens, Ratliff and Ainge I don't really have a problem with that, as long as it does not become a roadblock if none of the three are capable of grabbing the job and running with it. I don't want to go through the Richard Todd/Matt Robinson thing again. It sapped the energy of the franchise for three years running, and although the Jets eventually emerged as a strong contender they didn't have the guy at QB to go all the way in the end.